cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE4 Rollercoaster [v1.0 Now with real physics!]

Teddy0k
Explorer
Playing with scale in VR, this rollercoaster shrinks you down the size of a mouse and zooms you around a living room!

Download v1.0;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4s08nfl9pct339/UE4Rollercoaster_v1_0.zip

To celebrate the release of Unreal Engine 4 I decided to make a rollercoaster! I've been interested in playing with scale in VR (like in my RTS demo), so I thought it'd be cool to see what it feels like to be shrunk down to a tiny size. Turns out it's pretty awesome!

For those of you that are riftless, here's a full playthrough video;

Thanks!

Update v1.0
-Updated to Unreal Engine v4.4.1
-Added fixed timestep simulation to physics to ensure rollercoaster behaves the same at any frame rate
-Added an option to lock the camera's pitch to the track (press c)
-Some more optimizations

Update v0.4
-Added semi-realistic rollercoaster physics, is now a proper gravity coaster
-Adjusted the track to work with real physics
-Changed keypress to Enter key or Gamepad A
-Fixed a bug with the launcher PixelsPerDisplay setting

Update v0.3
-Updated to Unreal 4.3 with Oculus SDK 0.4.1
-Added position tracking support, fixed scaling issues
-Supports Direct Mode rendering, with the output mirrored to the monitor
-Added a front end launcher with graphics settings to help get good performance (I will release this as a standalone plugin soon)
-Optimized the post process code in UE4 for VR
-Added a frame counter to the bottom of the screen if performance is bad

Update v0.2
-Improved spline physics so the rollercoaster is much smoother around corners
-Added a jump over the lamp
-Added a sideways corkscrew at the end
-Added some new sounds
-Ported code to a UnrealEngine plugin to make it easy to share the tools (more on that later)

Editor
I've ported the code for my rollercoaster to an Unreal Engine plugin, so you can make your own rollercoaster with doing any coding!

Download the plugin (supports UnrealEngine 4.6.1)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/az87qdqxc1yqx4s/RollercoasterPlugin_v4_6_1.zip

Source code is up here;
https://github.com/Teddy0/RollercoasterPlugin

Here's a tutorial video on how to set it up and make a simple rollercoaster;

432 REPLIES 432

edstoica
Honored Guest
hey brother,

thanks for this great work.

your rollercoaster is our favorite demo.
we show it for free to our guests in our blacklight minigolf park.

we made a special chair for the demo.
the chair is so high that your feets do not touch the ground. (the guy on the photo is very tall). and the chair is similar to the rollercoaster chair 😉

every guests signs a survey after the ride. i guess we have about 1500 surveys already.
mostly the persons are blasted and satisfied.

common pro's:
- strong immersion
- looking down beside the chair gives real feel of height.
- impressive 3D
- first rollercoaster-drop-down is most scary
- real feel of scale

common con's:
- 50% have some kind of soft sea-sickness after use
- some are real dizzy (but no real-strong problem yet)
- the chair is empty
- the legs are felt to be inside the chair
- some turns are not smooth
- to look down when the coaster drives down is not natural

but reactions are greatly varying by individual or by grouped individuals.
if one freaks out and shouts loud while driving, the others get "inspired" and do similar. funny psychological phenomenas.

if you are interested, i can send you more data from these surveys.

for some editing i decided to get an unreal engine account and downloaded the software. its version 4.6
then i tried to activate you plugin. but it does not work. i get the error
"the following modules are build with a different engine version:
UE4Editor-RollercoasterPlugin.dll
Would you loke to rebuild them now?"

but this doesn work.

can you supply a 4.6 compiled version of your plugin?

one world one family!

btw: i would like to send you an email. can you supply me an adress?

Teddy0k
Explorer
Hey folks,

I've uploaded an update version of the RollerCoaster plugin for Unreal 4.6.1;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/az87qdqxc1yqx4s/RollercoasterPlugin_v4_6_1.zip

Good luck with your projects, can't wait to see what you guys&gals make!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Teddy and thanks a lot for this amazing work.

I'm afraid your last plugin version isn't working with 4.6.1, saying the "modules missing or different engine version" error (btw the .uplugin file having its "last edited" date in august), are you sure you havn't messed up with the files? 😉

Thanks again et keep up the hard work !

Fitz

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there !

I've rebuild the whole Unreal Engine with the latest plugin sources and everything seems to work now, except the fact that I don't have the Level Blueprint showing, and that the kart isn't moving at all : I'm downloading the full package Teddy uploaded 2 pages before, and I'll try to find a solution 😉

Thanks !

ChrisBroz
Honored Guest
Hi Fitzrurisk and/or Teddy,

it would be quite cool, if you get it running again. Let uns know if we could help you in any way.

Thanks in advance

barryzundel
Explorer
Hello all! Just downloaded the latest plugin, and copied it to my project directory and engine folder, and I'm getting an error when I load the editor that says that the plugin was complied for a different version of the engine (I'm in 4.6.1), then tries to convert it. It can't, so it tells me I should compile it manually. I removed the plugin from the Plugins folder, and then tried to restart the editor, and now the editor won't open because the plugin is not there. Now I can't get into my project. Is there a way to "uncheck" the plugin without being in the editor? Thanks.

cybereality
Grand Champion
@barryzundel: I'm not sure your question has anything to do with the roller-coaster app. Can you create your own thread in the right section (if you are on Unreal 4, then post in the Unreal 4 Integration section) and provide details as to your OS version and system specs? Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
@barryzundel Just open your *.uproject file with a text editor and remove the plugin you don't want to use (here something like :

"Plugins": [
{
"Name": "RollercoasterPlugin",
"Enabled": true
}
]"

Fitz

maxdaiber
Honored Guest
Somebody please plase help me!

I get the following message every time.

"The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

UE4Editor-RollercoasterPlugin.dll

would you like to rebuild them now?"

I have ue 4.6.1 and the same for the plugin, and copied the folders just like the youtube video says. Content folder to project, and plugin folder to engine ... > runtime.

Please somebody help me, I really need this and I tried everything I can to make it work, but nothing seems to help.

I would be very very thankfull!

DanielJones
Explorer
I'm having the same problem :cry: