cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
"Samiad" wrote:
Having some problems with my setup; can only get 59/60 framerate.

i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz, nVidia 970 GTX, 8GB RAM. 3 monitor nVidia surround (5040x1050). Rift is extended mode, and legacy DK1 support enabled. No matter what settings I change (full screen/vertical sync etc.) I cannot get higher than 60fps. All nVidia 3D settings are set to default. If I untick fullscreen mode I get less than 60fps framerate. Of course the rendered screen is very stuttery under this configuration.

Am I missing anything?

Not sure why you would be limited to 60hz, perhaps NVidia surround is limiting the refresh rate on the Rift to be the same as your other monitors? Did you exclude the Rift from your surround configuration? If you try with just 1 monitor, do you get 75 fps?

pixelpowder
Honored Guest
Hi
Thanks for the continued support of this great application. 🙂

Could I possibly ask for a new feature for the new release..?
I am only running my rig with the DK2 and no external monitor but it does not work with Virtual Desktop.
There is a workaround but it does not properly work.
Could you build this function into the new version?
Thanks!

Sharkku
Protege
"pixelpowder" wrote:
Hi

I am only running my rig with the DK2 and no external monitor but it does not work with Virtual Desktop.
Thanks!

Yeah, we pretty much want that, all of us. I don't think it's technically possible without some major changes in Windows though. Sadly.
There is a dongle you can plug in to simulate a second monitor though. Forgot the name, sorry. It's been mentioned somewhere in this thread.
DK1 - previously owned DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24) CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day) Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)

JAAdventurer
Honored Guest
"Sharkku" wrote:
"pixelpowder" wrote:
Hi

Thanks!

Yeah, we pretty much want that, all of us. I don't think it's technically possible without some major changes in Windows though. Sadly.
There is a dongle you can plug in to simulate a second monitor though. Forgot the name, sorry. It's been mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Headless ghost, the kickstarter is in the process of shipping now. I actually currently use my DK1, which has broken sensors but is still a perfectly good monitor.

Romanito
Honored Guest
Hi,

Do you plan on adding support for the Rift as main display?

My monitor doesn't support 75Hz, so I set the Rift as main display and I deactivate the monitor. I just keep the Rift powered off when not using it. This method gets me the best performance, but it makes Virtual Desktop unusable most of the time, since fullscreen mode is a bit buggy.

Thanks.

tbhausen
Explorer
I've gotten my sim racing rig (cockpit) to run "monitorless" using only a Headless Ghost and my DK2. This is truly great... I set up Windows to require no password, so all I have to do is power up the PC and put on the Rift, wait for my desktop to appear, then go racing! I run iRacing, and so far, it's been 100% reliable. It's a true pleasure to use, having never to take the HMD on and off to do things (touch typist here). Thanks again, Guy (and Dev, for the Headless Ghost) for developing the goodies that allow us to take our simulation (and gaming) to the next level.

Death_Magnetic
Explorer
hey todd .. i saw your post on iRacing too .. i think it's great and i'm gonna do something similar, inspired by you 🙂

-fuji

dsmall417
Honored Guest
I just got this program and it's near perfect. There are a couple suggestions I'd like to make, but I'm sure they're issues that have already been addressed. The zoom in effect needs work, it's way too difficult to read unless the screen is huge. I'm sure this will be resolved as well when the CV1 comes out. I also notice, in the theater mode, that the screen seems to slowly shift, forcing me to reset every couple of minutes, even though I don't move, other than to look around. Otherwise, this is exactly what I've been looking for.

castles1108
Honored Guest
Hello,
This is my first post and its in regards to fully uninstalling/removing the software. It seems as if there are still traces of the software after having removed it, particularly with my video files. After having removed the software, if I right click on any of my video files there is still the option to open with "Virtual Desktop" even though its no longer installed, it no longer has the virtual desktop icon next to it, and if I do select that option it just asks me to select a program to open with since that software is no longer on the system. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

guygodin
Protege
"castles1108" wrote:
Hello,
This is my first post and its in regards to fully uninstalling/removing the software. It seems as if there are still traces of the software after having removed it, particularly with my video files. After having removed the software, if I right click on any of my video files there is still the option to open with "Virtual Desktop" even though its no longer installed, it no longer has the virtual desktop icon next to it, and if I do select that option it just asks me to select a program to open with since that software is no longer on the system. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll be looking at a different installer and fix those issues at the same time. For the time being you'd have to go in the registry to remove those entries.