cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While we wait...Ready Player One

MorbidDonkey
Heroic Explorer
12:30am...finished.

Ok, I am WAAAAY behind with reading this book than a good portion of the world so this post is for those of you who have not read "Ready Player One" yet.

I am a tech nerd and hearing about the Oculus Rift when it first hit Kickstarter made my heart flutter. I am a graphics designer by trade, but now want to apply my knowledge towards VR development. THATS WHAT OCULUS DID TO ME. It literally is making me consider a career change, a life change if you will. Whats that have to do with this book you might ask? Well, like many of you I started reading every single damn thing Palmer Luckey wrote or acknowledged like haptic technology, DIY HMDs, and books. "Ready Player One" has been brought up a ton of times in interviews from Palmer and has also been considered "Required Reading" for Oculus VR employees. So I said, hell, why not....I knew nothing about this book and to be quite frank, I really dont read much beyond technical books and even that has turned into google searches over the years.

I am here to tell you, drop the $10 bucks or so and get this flippin' book. Your VR love will be overflowing. You'll be caught up in with such great characters that work together, Goonies style. Bite your nails with suspense from an evil corporate entity named Sorrento. You'll feel like your 13 again, falling in love with the cute girl in school. Twists and turns and best of all ITS AN EASY FREAKING READ! I would love to say that I got through "Lord of the Rings", but that would be a complete lie as I stopped after the first few chapters. It's too BIG for me. "Ready Player One" is that nice mix of smart and entertaining. Refreshing. So much in fact its almost 1am, I got work in 6 hours and I am nerding out HARD on this forum. It lifted my spirits and really is making me put the elbow grease in my development. The VR revolution can't happen fast enough!

Quit staring at shipping dates. I implore you to read this book and when your done.....Do your best not to think this:

The High-Five of OVR
Parzival = Palmer Luckey
Art3mis = Cybereality
Aech = Nate Mitchell (Sorry Nate! - Focus on the avatar!)
Daito= Brendon Iribe
Shoto = Michael Antonov
-: MorbidDonkey :- =================================== LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1
23 REPLIES 23

przecinek
Rising Star
"paulybarnes" wrote:

You know I forgot to mention that in my original post. I am pretty stoked where VR is headed, but to be honest when I hear Palmer say things like "I prefer VR because I like it better than real life!" it makes me a little sad. Everything Palmer has said has been pretty awesome, except that. Did you watch the panel where he was with Cliffy, Chris Roberts and Nate? He specifically said (adlibbing a bit) "I want it so people prefer being in the Rift than real life"....funny thing, watch Chris next to him squirm a bit to that comment.

I actually like that type of devotion to VR :lol: This shows that Palmer is truly forward thinking and totally dedicated to what some call a dream of VR. Also we don't have to get carried away -> it's obvious that experiences like superman flying, visiting mars etc will definitely be better than real life - why wouldn't they be. It's a bit more omnious when you think that VR cinema might seem for some people as something better than a real trip to a movie theater (not just more convinient - but simply better and more interesting as such) - but somehow I'm not bothered. Real world will still play a large part of our daily lives anyway, whether we like it or not 😉

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Reading back on this old post, I noted some had not read, or were plowing through with difficulty the classic fiction in this genre.

May I suggest the YouTube "unabridged" audio book selection. Am just finishing Necro' and did Snowcrash again last week. Work and pleasure all at once!... and a little bit of education.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

cleverusername
Explorer
Well if we are going to mention snowcrash Kevin, and how the REAL future is going to play out Vs what the scifi authors conceived, lets look at some recent real history:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1gsi55/palantir_the_evil_nsa_spying_types_now_funding/
(My shock when I found out Joe Lonsdale of Palantir was FUNDING our hero Palmer)

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/07/despite-naming-coincidence-palantir-not-part-of-prism-program/ Lonsdale is saying they aren't THAT prism, just the one that helps BANKS datamine us all in ways that probably doesn't make Jaron Lanier happy, so sorry Lonsdale, you still haven't dug out of the hole. And if you are helping banks and their data analysis, lets see what treasury secretary Larry Summers said (former CENTRAL BANK and WORLD BANK) about his DATA ANAYLSIS! LOL!

http://www.whirledbank.org/ourwords/summers.html Oh the TANGLED WEB we WEEV! 😉 Yah lets get those cool humble humanitarian banks some more PALANTIR PRISM DATA ANALYSIS so they can help us with carbon tax policies.

martinlandau -1 points 11 days ago*
http://www.reddit.com/r/Transhuman/comments/21p6ne/elon_musk_zuckerberg_invest_in_artificial/
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/21/zuckerberg-musk-invest-in-artificial-intelligence-company-vic...

Elon Musk made the electric car cool. Mark Zuckerberg created FacebookFB -1.57%. Ashton Kutcher portrayed AppleAAPL -0.11% founder Steve Jobs in a movie. Now, the three are joining in a $40 million investment in Vicarious FPC, a secretiveartificial-intelligence company.

Phoenix hopes that, eventually, Vicarious’s computers will learn to how to cure diseases, create cheap, renewable energy, and perform the jobs that employ most human beings. “We tell investors that right now, human beings are doing a lot of things that computers should be able to do,” he says.

The latest funding round was led by venture capital firm Formation 8. “Companies that pioneer a fundamental technological breakthrough often come to define entire industries,” said Formation 8 founder Joe Lonsdale, who also co-founded data-mining software maker Palantir Technologies. “I believe Vicarious has the potential to become one of these companies.”

One of the comments:

10:30 am March 24, 2014 Rudy Haugeneder wrote:

I suspect these guys really understand how quickly environmental degradation and irreversible rapid Climate Change are threatening human survival and want to create human replacements that can survive conditions on the planet no matter how bad it gets — as well as hoping to achieve immortality themselves by replicating themselves specifically as the immortal new gods that the rest of Artificial Intelligence will be built to honor and bow to, forever. Don’t laugh. In the world of science and those who control it, there is no such thing as science fiction.

LOL! BWAHAHAH! Wake up Neo, the Matrix has you! They are our FRIENDS, they just want to SERVE us.

mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4123 I am looking into that LEEP VR I lack practical 3d knowledge, I have found some good links, but I am not sure if they are the ones you were talking about. Would you mind direct linking me to them? :oops:

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I was reading this, instead of the analogies #1 suggests, what I thought was:

James Halliday: John Carmack
Ogden Morrow: Michael Abrash

andrewtek
Expert Protege
When I read the initial description of IOI, I thought "Comcast".

MrsVR
Honored Guest
That book is laying underneath a pile of books on economics 😞 but soon! Only 4 more months!

Edit: wut necropost
Rendering/Game engineer

Funkman
Explorer
"VR More compelling than real life"...

Just reminded me of that movie, what was it? I cant remember, but there was a scene where someone walks into this VR area and sees what customers are seeing.

One is surrounded by girls in bikinis (of course), and then the other one is in the boardroom and all his superiors are telling him"Your the man!" "No your the man" "Your the man!"

Was pretty funny. What movie was that?

But yeh, I am sure VR will be more compelling in many ways, for at least some people pretty soon.

Disdroid
Honored Guest
I know that scene. Surrogates or Minority Report I think. I'll have a brain cramp now because I'm not sure.
People tend to believe what they want to be true.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Funkman" wrote:
"VR More compelling than real life"...

Just reminded me of that movie, what was it? I cant remember, but there was a scene where someone walks into this VR area and sees what customers are seeing.

One is surrounded by girls in bikinis (of course), and then the other one is in the boardroom and all his superiors are telling him"Your the man!" "No your the man" "Your the man!"

Was pretty funny. What movie was that?

Was that Total Recall? (the Arnold S. version)
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

VizionVR
Rising Star
I have Ready Player One as an audiobook, read by someone named Wil Wheat thins or something. It's a good listen while commuting to/from work.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.