cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

Anonymous
Not applicable
After not hearing back from anyone... I decided to downgrade to 8.1, no problems thus far. Please update this thread when things get updated.

McFaulTech
Explorer
windows 10, being a preview, is likely to be far from priority. Too much will change too quickly to put valuable time and effort into working with it right now, I'd say. With Rift being beta, time is much better spent getting it work well enough with existing OS's.
Gigabyte Z97-i5 4670, 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill, crossfired 7970 3gb, EVGA g2 1300 PSU WHERE IS THE VR BASS FISHING???

danknugz
Superstar
Anyone hear anything about directx12 outside of the heterogeneous GPU stuff in regards to VR direct-style rendering possibilities?

Or will they be putting things in windows 10 to "enhance" anything that isn't hololens related? :mrgreen:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

JanO
Honored Guest
"McFaulTech" wrote:
windows 10, being a preview, is likely to be far from priority. Too much will change too quickly to put valuable time and effort into working with it right now, I'd say. With Rift being beta, time is much better spent getting it work well enough with existing OS's.

There's also something to be said about most of us here being developers and forward looking... Consumers buying a Rift will most likely be of the early adopter type and will migrate quickly to win10.

Since the project I'm working on will come out in the Windows 10 time frame, I'd appreciate any official info I can use to plan my developing strategy for the upcoming transition to a win10 ecosystem...

Any info Cyber?
The best part of Virtual Reality actually isn't even a part of Reality!

Anonymous
Not applicable
"JanO" wrote:
"McFaulTech" wrote:

There's also something to be said about most of us here being developers and forward looking... Consumers buying a Rift will most likely be of the early adopter type and will migrate quickly to win10.

Since the project I'm working on will come out in the Windows 10 time frame, I'd appreciate any official info I can use to plan my developing strategy for the upcoming transition to a win10 ecosystem...

Any info Cyber?

Exactly my point... Win 10 will be here before you know it, would be great for us developers to get a bit of a head start on compatibility and d12 feature sets 😄

McFaulTech
Explorer
makes sense, but then you are talking about a whole new API. I did read some stuff that claimed it would be a cakewalk to transition an ap from dx10 or 11 to dx12. They really didn't get into specifics though since it was more of a review discussing the better use of cpu cores, multithreading, and how the gpu interacts with the cpu. It was overall pretty non technical though and didn't dive into anything specific.

If you can currently work in Unity with dx12 then why not work on what's already available...unless you intend to only off support for Windows 10 in your ap? On the Unity site if anyone is interested- "Currently our plan is to release DirectX 12 support early in the Unity 5 cycle (well in time for the release of Windows 10), and to target standalone builds and Windows Store Apps first." -http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/01/22/staying-ahead-with-directx-12/

Your all probably UE4.4 devs 🙂
Gigabyte Z97-i5 4670, 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill, crossfired 7970 3gb, EVGA g2 1300 PSU WHERE IS THE VR BASS FISHING???

kogashuko
Honored Guest
I have found, while running the tech preview so far, that everything is more stable in 10 than in 7. I find myself running 10 most of the time and my SSD with 7 on it sitting on my desk. That being said I cant get DK2 to run worth a damn with my 980 on either.
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------/ KogaShuko DK 2 - Received = Paperweight due to failure to cooperate between Nvidia and Oculus. Glad my livelihood was not resting on development!

wookieekiller
Honored Guest
Oculus is now working with windows 10 build 10041.

n1Cola
Explorer
Can confirm it finally works without black screen after display driver install.
All good on 10041 build, happy 🙂

sjblake83
Honored Guest
"n1cola" wrote:
Can confirm it finally works without black screen after display driver install.
All good on 10041 build, happy 🙂

"wookieekiller" wrote:
Oculus is now working with windows 10 build 10041.

Thanks for the update guys! I'll try it out when I get home today.