cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

BLACKISH
Honored Guest
Love it!

Just one thing: Can you make it work when I have nothing but the DK2 attached? (I need that setup for a project)
BLACKISH (Games) | GameAssets.net (Assets)

Toastyr
Honored Guest
Blackish:

Seen this question a lot on both deskope and virtual desktop, and unfortunately it's not possible due to the nature of the workaround. These apps function via copying the windows desktop to the rift window. WIthout a windows desktop on another monitor, there's nothing to copy. Running the two on the same screen ends up with a hall of mirrors effect.

It's a problem for me too, laptops disable their screen when closing the lid, leaving an attached Rift as the only monitor. There is a workaround using a virtual monitor application, but I haven't tried it.

Why Oculus didn't include a 2D sbs rift mode in their video driver or hardware, I'm not sure. This problem would be completely avoided if the video driver for the rift used the normal video output from windows, performed the needed distortions and split screen effects, and sent that to the rift.

with that driver, the oculus would work as a normal monitor after the drivers were installed. Unfortunately I'm not proficient enough with windows driver code to write it. I can only speculate why they didn't write it. (It'd be interesting to know though.)

OculusRiftRocks
Explorer
i love the home theatre background.

however i am way too much in the front row, i have to look up way too high to see the top of the movie, and the lights seem to dim then undim too often.

i would like to be able to be in the middle row in that background, i would love a cinemascope movie theatre as well.

overall i would say that virtual desktop has the potential to be better than LiveViewRift which is my current video player of choice for the rift, it's just that virtual desktop could do with a cinemascope option and the ability to adjust seating position and lighting options.

tbhausen
Explorer
"BLACKISH" wrote:
Love it!

Just one thing: Can you make it work when I have nothing but the DK2 attached? (I need that setup for a project)

Why yes, yes you can! Just use a Headless Ghost as your primary monitor and set up Virtual Desktop to start when Windows (preferably Windows 8.1) starts. My sim-racing cockpit doesn't even have a traditional monitor anymore! Bonus is, you can really control the size and refresh rate of the Ghost to optimize your Rift experience. I use 1600 x 900 for a balance of size vs. readability.

tbhausen
Explorer
Also, for whomever wanted multiple windows (and cited Elite: Dangerous as an example), you can get three Ghosts and set up an AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround group with these three virtual displays and have a seamless, wrap-around, ultra-wide display that would probably support as many windows as you ever care to have open at once. This would be awesome for gaming, too, in windowed mode on games that support multiple displays. The Ghosts and Virtual Desktop make so many things possible.

JKay6969
Honored Guest
"tbhausen" wrote:
Also, for whomever wanted multiple windows (and cited Elite: Dangerous as an example), you can get three Ghosts and set up an AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround group with these three virtual displays and have a seamless, wrap-around, ultra-wide display that would probably support as many windows as you ever care to have open at once. This would be awesome for gaming, too, in windowed mode on games that support multiple displays. The Ghosts and Virtual Desktop make so many things possible.

Just be careful about how many displays your graphics card supports at once, my R9 290X can only support 3 at one time so when I plugged in my 2 Headless Ghosts I got the message "More than 3 displays are connected, which one do you want to disable" or words to that effect. I got round it by plugging one of my Headless Ghosts into my onboard HDMI port to utilize the GPU contained on my Intel Core i7 4790K and it worked in Virtual Desktop however having the extra 2 Virtual Displays gave me issues when not running Virtual Desktop like apps, windows or prompts being sent to the virtual displays instead of my actual display, all I had to do was Hold the Windows key, Left Shift and press Left or Right Arrow key to move it between displays but it was irritating enough to unplug the Headless Ghosts and put the idea to bed for a while...
CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB DK2: Delivered LENSES: Scratched SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:

iceman191
Honored Guest
I have windows 7, DK2 kit and I cannot get my icons or task bar on the screen. Just a floating image of my background. If I right click somewhere it will pull up the windows desktop properties and if I click screen resolution or any other it will flash an image of my desktop real quick and go back to a blank, floating image again. Any ideas???

OculusRiftRocks
Explorer
okay I started using star field background and set the wallpaper as transparent and disabled the wallpaper, this created a really cool effect for 4:3 and cinemascope movies wherein there are no black bars when using pot player in windowed mode, and i can of course dynamically adjust the size to my likeing.

as far as i can see there are 2 things i would like to have.

1: windows aero theme to remain working
2: when disabling desktop wallpaper it should be a temporary thing that only applies to that virtual desktop session, once virtual desktop has ended the original wallpaper should be restored.

a better option for number 2 could be adding the ability to hide anything on the desktop, like icons, this way you can watch movies with a perfect frame, this could be similar to a 'show desktop' win + space shortcut but it shouldn't hide the current window, which would be a video player.

also the size of the options window which allows you to change image size etc is an issue for me, I am on a 1360x768 monitor, i can't view the whole window and make changes to the various options due to this issue.

Hyron
Honored Guest
As suggested in this thread https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21054&p=252696#p252696 we are preparing to utilize multi monitor VD on oculus. What are the requirements for the system which could display 4 HD screens as virtual desktops? Any graphic card/processoor/memory recommendations?

birinhos
Honored Guest
I have DK1 and it says "no rift detected" on mouse over on the system tray...

my rift is on ...

at the start it says the OVR must be running ... what is OVR ?

I have de "oculus rift configuration util" (0.4.4 )running .. this is the OVR ?