Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darknet

EMcNeill
Honored Guest

Darknet Website

Twitter | Facebook | Reddit

Darknet (formerly Ciess, winner of the Oculus VR Jam) is a puzzle/strategy game that casts you as a "Hollywood hacker". It takes inspiration from cyberpunk classics like TRON, Neuromancer, The Matrix, and Johnny Mnemonic.

I'm proud to say that I just finished the Gear VR launch version of Darknet! It should appear as a launch title when the Gear VR hardware is released. The store won't have any payment system at launch, but instead of releasing a limited version or a demo, I've decided to just give the whole game away for free to the early adopters who buy a Gear VR in these first few weeks.

I plan on posting some updates and videos here while I wait for the hardware launch. As always, I'm happy to answer questions about the game too. 🙂
21 REPLIES 21

alexchu
Honored Guest
Played this today for the first time. It feels really polished. Great animation on the menu open/close. Love the clean simple style.

Congrats. 😄
Comments are my own personal opinion and are not official statements of my employer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just finished the first hacking network, and gotta say - this game's awesome. Good job..

-m

DoomDalek
Explorer
Loving this game on the Gear, great work man! 🙂

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
Clever optimisation:
http://www.darknetgame.com/#!Optimizing-Darknet/c24e2/2297727E-0A58-4671-AC00-13459708E62F
Interesting will you be porting some of those GearVR optimizations to the PC version?

EMcNeill
Honored Guest
Thanks everybody!

Interesting will you be porting some of those GearVR optimizations to the PC version?

Yeah, but only the ones that make the game look better. The glow optimizations will carry over to the PC version, but it will also use the more smooth and complex meshes.

EMcNeill
Honored Guest
Wrote a bit about the public reception of Darknet so far. I quoted Drash's post from this thread. 😄

http://www.darknetgame.com/#!single-post/c24e2/515F587A-CAEE-49D5-884E-A1FF9969858B

EMcNeill
Honored Guest
If you've played Darknet, I'd love to get your feedback on it! I'm currently figuring out how to expand the game for its eventual PC launch. Read all about it: http://www.darknetgame.com/#!Call-For-Feedback/c24e2/E179CF1A-413D-4381-8DC5-1B3F2A648B78

Docjonel
Explorer
Wasn't particularly interested in this game when I got my Gear VR. I'm just not an abstract puzzle kinda guy. Gave it a quick try (much) earlier this evening and only stopped playing when I got the critically low battery warning. Can't wait to jack back in and try it again. Love it!
Great job- thanks for making this available to us!

Int3rDim3nsiona
Honored Guest
Love this game, very well made, solid, fine tuned... Excited to see what is implemented in the future because there isn't really much I would change. Only suggestions would be to add more variety/looks of puzzle layouts, rather then just different sizes and difficulties... That way it feels more like your hacking into different systems/programs. Other then that maybe some customization features like layout color or an avatar or something, not a necessity, really I'm just a customization nut and I would think any hacker/computer geek is gonna customize the heck outta their stuff. I would like a statistic page though, maybe total net amount earned, programs hacked, stuff purchased/used, time spent hacking, or overall average hacking time. etc... Honestly though man, if you plan on adding a bunch more features down the road, as awesome as it is to have this full game for free, I would charge for a "Pro Hacker" version, even if only $.99, I can tell alot of hard work went into this and would gladly pay for more features. Always on my Oculus home from being consistently played. Thanks for this great game! Awesome way to chill and unwind at the end of a long day...

Jaycee900
Explorer
Shame for us outside of the US, since the paid store went live, there is no way we can even try the game, maybe put up a time limit demo until the UK/EU stores go live?
Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk