cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Overlay for SideBySide content

holophone3d
Explorer
If you got an expiration warning, just grab the latest version below

Hey guys, I just prototyped an "OculusOverlay" and it's pretty cool. It can warp in realtime any source content of any size from any desktop window into the OculusRift format I've included a screenshot that shows a 3D trailer from youTube playing on my desktop and a Oculus adjusted view in my second monitor. I was thinking this would be easier than trying to make all applications that produce SideBySide content Rift compatible... this works for videos, games, images, emulators (VirtualBoy anyone 😉 ), anything really...

This now has support for tons of features, check out the readme.txt or hit 'SpaceBar' to get a command list!

Let me know what you think.

OculusOverlay0.92a.zip
OculusOverlayUpdate2.jpg

UPDATE 9/11/16: Latest code update is 0.92a without expiration

*Note* - this requires the XNA 4.0 redist installed (6.7mb) you can get it from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=20914
157 REPLIES 157

drash
Heroic Explorer
Wow, that's really nice work!

I'm guessing the one thing that's missing is just making it appear to be a certain distance away? It looks like both left and right images are the same in this case, and the content takes up the entire display so it might be hard to watch a la sitting in the front row at a movie theater?
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

darren
Honored Guest
If you can do that, can't you just take a non-side-by-side image and paste it alongside while generating the final image?

It would work for virtual movie-theatre style content, and then literally we could mirror the whole windows desktop on the left monitor by pointing your app to it and you would render a virtual monitor on the right-hand-side. Problem solved.
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft

afredenucci
Honored Guest
Wow man you are a genius 😮 !! does it works with fullscreen games too ? where can we get your awesome overlay for oculus 😄 ? Thanks

edulinares
Honored Guest
This is great!! Is this an executable? Can you put this out for us to download?

Reala
Honored Guest
"holophone3d" wrote:
Hey guys, I just prototyped an "OculusOverlay" and it's pretty cool. It can warp in realtime any source content of any size from any desktop window into the OculusRift format (you've gotta have a decent computer though). I've included a screenshot that shows a 3D trailer from youTube playing on my desktop and a Oculus adjusted view in my second monitor. I was thinking this would be easier than trying to make all applications that produce SideBySide content Rift compatible... this works for videos, games, images, emulators (VirtualBoy anyone 😉 ), anything really...

Let me know what you think.

Here's hoping it looks good when I get my dev kit. 8-) OculusOverlay.jpg

Looks like some great work. You might also want to check out how the Virtual Boy emulator handles its output. It doesn't use the extremities of the viewing area, only the center portion. I'm not sure if it's possible to do something like that with your solution, but it seems to work very well and my impression is it's a more comfortable to use. Just a possible suggestion based on pure conjecture though, not sure which would work out better in practice.

holophone3d
Explorer
Hey guys, just an update here. Been working on a few of the suggestions and testing out some performance tweaks in my spare time. Check out the new image, showing 3 new features.
1) Exact screen region selection - Easily set the upper left and lower right bounds for the region you want to project into the Rift
2) Dynamic image scaling - to let you control how big the image is in realtime
3) Dynamic left and right symmetrical adjustment of the images - to help get it into the sweet spot
OculusOverlayUpdate1.jpg

Performance is looking pretty decent too. The screenshot above running on my 4+ year old computer with Windows 8, is getting 30fps into the OculusOverlay with about 30-40 ms lag from realtime (which is good enough for movies)

Keep in mind all this is theorhetical since I don't have my dev kit yet, I'm just guessing here. It's also still *very* prototype-y but if there's enough interest from users that have the Rift I could certainly share what I have. It's super small ( < 50k) but It's written in XNA so you'd need to install the XNA redist too, but that is also small. Let me know.

Alt
Explorer
This looks awesome, nice work. This is an application that I believe will greatly increase the functionality of the Rift in the short term. There is already a ton of 3D video out there, an easy way to view it on the Rift is a great tool. When will we be able to download it and give it a try?

Bacon
Honored Guest
Let's get some files up here, I wanna test this out!

holophone3d
Explorer
Hey guys, the first download is now HERE! (attached zip)
OculusOverlayUpdate2.jpg
OculusOverlay 0.7.zip
*Note* - this requires the XNA 4.0 redist installed (6.7mb) you can get it from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

I've been busy adding some cool new features, like faster async capture AND the ability to push both 2D and 3D content into the Rift! That's right you can now push anything from your desktop into your Rift - browse the web, play games... anything should work.

All I ask is that you check it out and give me feedback, I don't have my Rift yet, so I'm kinda just guessing here. It's also a 'dev tool' meaning there is no UI or anything, just keys to manage app state - all documented in the readme.txt.

I'm including the readme below for people that want to see the details.

---Readme.txt---
OculusOverlay dev preview 0.7 - http://holophone3d.com/oculus

Thanks for trying out the OculusOverlay the easy way to instantly view any 2D or 3D content from any application in your OculusRift.
The OculusOverlay works by capturing the specified desktop region in near real time and warping it into a Rift view.
For example, on my 4+ year old Corei7 with a GeForce 550 I'm seeing 30+ fps capturing regions of 1280x800.

Usage:
NOTE: This app requires the XNA 4.0 redist, get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914
All content must be in a Windowed mode to be captured (i.e. full screen games won't be captured)
You must set screen region and choose viewing mode - see instructions below
Default Overlay window is 1280 x 800, move it onto Rift monitor view (using extended desktop)
REMEMBER: The overlay window must have focus to recieve the commands below -if commands aren't working, click back on the overlay window to set focus

Commands

Set Capture Region
Set Top Left Corner = Hold Y and move mouse to top left corner of desired capture region
Set Bottom Right Corner = Hold H and move mouse to bottom right corner of desired capture region

Viewing Modes
SplitMode (default) - used for SideBySide content = A
DuplicateMode - used for viewing 2D content = Q

Set Capture sync mode
Synchronous - slightly slower, more stable = R
Async (default) - ~20% smoother with lower latency, not as stable = F

Zoom
Zoom In = J
Zoom Out = U

Horizontal/Paralax adjustment
Move In = K
Move Out = I