cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Be careful using ginger!

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I just discovered (the hard way) the very painful possible side-effect of ginger. :oops:

My doctor just said I have gallstones, and a gallstone probably got stuck in the tube leading from the gall bladder, which is why I had terrible abdominal pains for three weeks. (The pain is gone now, but I still have gall-stones).

Ginger is considered very suspect because it increases bile production. It's not unanimous that ginger is bad for gallstones, there is a minority that says it might be good for them, but it is definitely interferes with normal gallbladder operation in some way.

Remember, just because a drug is "natural", doesn't mean it doesn't have serious side effects, and doesn't mean it's not still a drug. Things that have an effect, usually have side-effects too.

BTW, my doctor had heard of the Oculus Rift and its kickstarter development kit. He keeps asking me about it. 🙂
38 REPLIES 38

candiedbug
Honored Guest
Actually ginger is a good way to PREVENT gallstones. The increased bile production prevents the stones from precipitating. However, if you already HAVE gallstones, ginger can prompt an attack.

If you don't like raw ginger, try ginger-honey crystals, amazon sells them in sachets, dissolved in chilled water they are super refreshing and strangely soothing. I'm stocking up for when my Rift arrives. Brand is called Prince of Peace, I think it comes from China.

P.S. If you have a soda-maker these crystals make an AMAZING ginger soda.
P.P.S. Add cayenne pepper for an extra zing. Or some tabasco if you want to blow your lid off. :lol:

kojack
MVP
MVP
Mmmmm, pickled ginger.

Soylent seems an inappropriate name if they want it taken seriously.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

REDRUM
Honored Guest
Ultimately it doesn't matter how radical of a diet change you make, unless you are fortunate enough to pass the stones the attacks will typically become more frequent over time, to the point where you will have to explore options. Changing your diet will sometimes help reduce the frequency of the attacks but the clock is ticking.

I held on to the point where an attack a week wasn't uncommon... as a result was almost sent to my grave as my pancreas became obstructed and was given a 50% chance of survival... don't make the same mistake :?

LucidReality
Honored Guest
Just had my gall bladder removed a couple months ago...so ginger party at my house!!! 😄

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"Prelucid" wrote:
edit: Hmmm, shouldn't this be in the off topic forum?

No. It's about treating the motion sickness that everyone who has an Oculus Rift gets and wants to treat. Ginger is the main treatment, but it may have some side effects that people aren't aware of. Some people (like me) may be taking a lot of ginger if they get a lot of motion sickness.

"DeadlyJoe" wrote:
I was on the forums earlier this week thinking that there was a disappointing shortage of discussions about gallstones and the effects of culinary choices on gallbladder health. I'm glad that we finally have a thread dedicated to this subject.

It's not cullinary choice, it's motion-sickness treatment choice.

OculusOptician
Explorer
"candiedbug" wrote:
Actually ginger is a good way to PREVENT gallstones. The increased bile production prevents the stones from precipitating. However, if you already HAVE gallstones, ginger can prompt an attack.

If you don't like raw ginger, try ginger-honey crystals, amazon sells them in sachets, dissolved in chilled water they are super refreshing and strangely soothing. I'm stocking up for when my Rift arrives. Brand is called Prince of Peace, I think it comes from China.

P.P.S. Add cayenne pepper for an extra zing. Or some tabasco if you want to blow your lid off. :lol:

+1, going to have to try these crystals you mention.

candiedbug
Honored Guest
"OculusOptician" wrote:
"candiedbug" wrote:

+1, going to have to try these crystals you mention.

Im also dyeing my crystals blue and calling them "Rhuludian Crystals" :ugeek:

kyleddoody
Honored Guest
Just in case it will be helpful for you guys.. I also went through the surgery on gallbladder. I should say that it really sucks. I can't change my situation anymore but I can help those who maybe can still avoid some complications. So here is a material which is, to my mind, worth reading.
http://galdbladderhelp.com/what-do-case-gallbladder-pain-symptoms

If you have any questions on how I had experienced that, feel free to ask them!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Thanks for raising this point @2EyeGuy - sorry you had to learn the hard way!

We have always reported in discussions about Sim-Sickness to avoid where possible self medication beyond small dosages for simple and non recurring symptoms.

We have seen a number of Reddit postings and some occasional discussions here about ginger and "...how I got my VR legs" - or "...I have got over my VR nausea". This is not a simple solution or cure-all.

For every action there is a reaction - and the sudden buzz to use copious amounts of ginger to alleviate sim-sickness took on a very unhealthy approach (from some vested interests) - with many users unaware of the major side-effects that this can cause (gallstones just one of them!)

I would also recommend that you do not take high amounts of seasickness and travel sickness medications either, because of the own risks that these tablets and remedies carry in repeat dosage.

Remember this simple rule "Do not over medicate to alleviate!"
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
"candiedbug" wrote:

Interesting - just one question, what sim-sickness symptoms are you using this to alleviate? and how often do you have to use it @candiebug?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959