cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

uKER
Adventurer
I missed this thread, and I just posted this about some issues I'm having with W10.
Anyone is welcome to comment.
Cheers!

TUFOM
Honored Guest
I can confirm DK2 works on build 10041. ATi Drivers are kinda broken with sdk installed but graphics driver works, problem is CCC panel side. Panel just freezes for me but I can gain just enough control from windows display settings to get everything working.

Works perfectly:

Welcome to Oculus
Don't let go
Half-Life 2 (this thing seems to be rock solid, works on any configuration)

Works with minor bugs:
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Riftmax Cinema (trouble to get video playing, windows 7 it was fine. I use virtual desktop for watching movies)

Works but is very buggy:

Virtual Desktop 32bit. I explain way I got it working. To be noted this for AMD/ATi.

1. Remove CCC and driver if windows installed those or you already have installed
2. Instal latest beta drivers with custom install only driver and ccc ticked. Freesync seems to be the key? It came along with latest driver. (15.3 Beta)
3. Oculus to extended mode and check that it is extended to right side of you main display. Don't know why this matters or does it matter at all but I did it.
4. Instal virtual desktop 32bit, uncheck every option from meny. Close virtual desktop.
5. Play something... Video for example, I used Netflix. I think for keeping "desktop fps" high if there is such thing
6. Check fullscreen while something fps increasing is playing. Make sure it shows more than 2fps capture rate, you may need to toggle few times. When it goes right Immeadly klick Vsync on and hopefully it locks around 76, time to time it tries to lock in 60 and that is just juddery mess.
7. If Vsync locks wrong you may need to toggle both fullscreen and vsync round and round until you get capture rate raised and +75 vsync.

8. When it works it works like a dream. No judder, I never ever got it working this good on Windows 7. Downside is amount of fidling around needed. Even games work fine, I tried KSP and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Windowed mode. In windows 7 I got pretty poor performance so I did not even try games with it.

uKER
Adventurer
Is anyone else having issues with the services management console, or uTorrent locking up?

uKER
Adventurer
Well, the new runtime appears to fix the issue in Windows 10 build 10041 where uTorrent and the services control panel would hang on startup.
I can now use my DK2 again!

pdawg17
Protege
Demo scene crashes for me with this error after installing new runtime:

"Oculus display driver is not supported on this configuration and will not be installed"

Anyone else?

TUFOM
Honored Guest
Tip if you have problems game start up with windows 10.

Add these parameters: -windowed -noborder

Half-Life 2 for example works perfectly this way. Forgot to mention this earlier.

And in my case new Oculus SDK fixed ATi CCC for me and now succesfully overclocked my primary display back to 75Hz (was on windows 7). Virtual Desktop works flawlessly without fullscreen mode and cpu usage dropped even more. Usage is next to nothing. ~10% (high quality distortion enabled)

For display overclocking I used custom resolution utility. Use at your own risk.

TUFOM
Honored Guest
My windows autoupdated 10049 and oculus is not working again.

Lhun
Explorer
10049 will work with the rift, but you need to use AMD's driver, not the WDDM 2.0 technical preview driver. It would be great if Oculus team would get support for that in the SDK, but it gets errors almost immediately.

according to AMD, the new driver "just works" and oculus games will run without the oculus driver running, but I have yet to see any truth in that. - Windows does detect the oculus as a 3d display (interestingly)

I'm running windows 10 10049, dk2, AMD r7 290.

jvaru
Honored Guest
Can some one please confirm is Oculus runtime version 0.5.1 is supported for windows 10 ?

sjblake83
Honored Guest
"jvaru" wrote:
Can some one please confirm is Oculus runtime version 0.5.1 is supported for windows 10 ?

I got an error message saying that the software isn't supported on the current computer configuration whenever I tried to install 0.5.1 on Windows 10, build 10049. The previous runtime version works perfectly at least.