cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

mattnewport
Protege
"jvaru" wrote:
Can some one please confirm is Oculus runtime version 0.5.1 is supported for windows 10 ?

I get the "Oculus display driver is not supported on this configuration and will not be installed" error when trying to install 0.5.1 on Windows 10 build 10049.

v_lee02
Honored Guest
I have used Oculus on windows 10 before with bootcamp on my imac but I am building a rig just for VR and am having the same problem Windows 10 Build 9926

This Sucks lol Any help plz

hulkenstrong
Honored Guest
"v_lee02" wrote:
I have used Oculus on windows 10 before with bootcamp on my imac but I am building a rig just for VR and am having the same problem Windows 10 Build 9926

This Sucks lol Any help plz

I remember getting the same error. I think all I had to do was set the installer to Windows 8 compatibility for it to install and work.

Lhun
Explorer
I've had zero issues with 5.0.1 and windows 10 works great. Tried a unity 5 demo last night (ConVRge) and it was fab.. Compatibility mode was not required for install.

one thing i will say is that it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT work with the wddm 2.0 bundled drivers with windows 10. Use the latest beta from nvidia and AMD.

also this is windows 10tp 10049.

Turbolego
Explorer
"Lhun" wrote:
I've had zero issues with 5.0.1 and windows 10 works great. Tried a unity 5 demo last night (ConVRge) and it was fab.. Compatibility mode was not required for install.

one thing i will say is that it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT work with the wddm 2.0 bundled drivers with windows 10. Use the latest beta from nvidia and AMD.

also this is windows 10tp 10049.

Do i have to do anything special in order to get rid of wddm 2.0?

Or just install the latest driver from nvidia's webpage?

I'm on the latest build of win10, and oculus runtime will only install with win8 compatibility mode, but i get nothing from the rift, only a yellow light, no blue light. :?

pittsburghjoe
Protege
Oculus acknowledges win 10 exists! http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ep/cqbhmmy
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

Lhun
Explorer
Hi Everyone!

I can confirm windows 10 is WORKING (but not supported), but ONLY in Windows Display Driver Model 1.3 (which is windows 8.1). I know a TON about this and have been using my rift on windows 10 since I got it.

If you want your rift dk2 to work, you need to download the latest windows 8.1 x64 STABLE or in some cases BETA drivers from nvidia and AMD.

I have both cards and can confirm that 350+ dirivers for geforce and the new 15.3 "Grand theft auto" drivers from AMD both work with the rift.

uninstall the Oculus runtime, install the new driver as administrator. Run the Oculus Runtime as administrator. it WILL install the display drivers and both direct to rift and extended mode will work.

Make sure your rift is plugged into a direct mode port, and if you have a monitor plugged in too, DO NOT plug it into the DVI port NEXT TO your HDMI port. They share resources on your card and will be slower. Use the port on the second slot (BELOW) or use displayport as it is dedicated. Check your video card manufacturer for details.

Lhun
Explorer
"pittsburghjoe" wrote:
Oculus acknowledges win 10 exists! http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ep/cqbhmmy

😉

tmek
Protege
I tried to follow the steps above

1. I uninstalled the oculus runtime.
2. I installed NVIDIA drivers as admin (350.12-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe)
3. Installed Oculus runtime as admin (0.5.0.1 beta)

no luck, still getting a dialog stating,

"The Oculus Display Driver is not supported on this configuration, and will not be installed."

Lhun
Explorer
"tmek" wrote:
I tried to follow the steps above

1. I uninstalled the oculus runtime.
2. I installed NVIDIA drivers as admin (350.12-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe)
3. Installed Oculus runtime as admin (0.5.0.1 beta)

no luck, still getting a dialog stating,

"The Oculus Display Driver is not supported on this configuration, and will not be installed."

Right click the oculus runtime and set it to run in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode.