cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

mrgreen72
Superstar
Hey Guy, you wouldn't possibly have a beta I could try over the weekend?

My nephew is here and would really like to watch his uncle race. To make fun of him, most likely... :lol:

guygodin
Protege
Sent you a PM 🙂

RaySuave
Honored Guest
I just got my DK2 a few weeks ago and have been trying to get Virtual desktop (Version 0.9.23 [Beta]) to work ever since but I keep getting this message ("rift detected but display isnt active") after clicking a gray eye shaped icon in my notification area when I have the DK2 on and configured as the second monitor with the app running.

I am able to get pretty much most of of my games and other apps using the DK2 with good results....this is the only app Im still having trouble with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CPU: i7 4690K
GPU: ASUS GTX 970
Main Monitor: LG HDTV
RAM: 16 GB
oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.4_win

guygodin
Protege
"RaySuave" wrote:
I just got my DK2 a few weeks ago and have been trying to get Virtual desktop (Version 0.9.23 [Beta]) to work ever since but I keep getting this message ("rift detected but display isnt active") after clicking a gray eye shaped icon in my notification area when I have the DK2 on and configured as the second monitor with the app running.

I am able to get pretty much most of of my games and other apps using the DK2 with good results....this is the only app Im still having trouble with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CPU: i7 4690K
GPU: ASUS GTX 970
Main Monitor: LG HDTV
RAM: 16 GB
oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.4_win

Did you update the firmware on your DK2? It should be version 2.12. Something else I would try is to install the latest Runtime (0.5.0.1) and see if that helps, it is backward compatible so there's no worries it won't work with other titles.

saviornt
Protege
Welcome to the joys of development hardware. I hope you didn't expect that it would be easy :lol:

Are you able to launch the demo scene on the Rift?
Is the screen turned on in the control panel?
Does the HMD have power (amber or green light at all)?
Have you tried switching USB ports? Seems that using a powered-usb hub helps with some issues

As a rambling idea, has anyone tried disabling their explorer.exe from starting, and adding VD to the list of startup programs? Sort of a hackish way of making it a windows shell.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

malik6040
Honored Guest
Hello Guy,

Many thanks for this amazing app.

Just a quick question, I am using DK1 and I have installed virtual desktop and the oculus runtime 0.4.4

However when I launch the app it says, No Rift detected! I know you have talked about this issue, but all it says is 'Make sure you have the latest Oculus 0.4.4 Runtime installed. Virtual desktop is not compatible with 0.4.3 or prior versions'

But I have already installed the latest available Oculus runtime. This still does not solve my problem.

Can you please help me fix this?
Thanks,
Malik

dimi
Honored Guest
Google Translate

Dear guygodin,

I would like to add my thanks here.

I use Virtual Desktop for an important application for which I only use the Windows screen and no games.

I know nothing about programming and my question could be naiev, but it would be some-when possible to displaying the VR screen on an extended screen (or forced expanded screen) without Oculus?

Then it would be possible with TeamViewer, X display, LogMeIn, AirDisplay to use the Samsung VR goggles, or manufactured for iPhone 6 (Zeiss) ????

guygodin
Protege
"malik6040" wrote:
However when I launch the app it says, No Rift detected! I know you have talked about this issue, but all it says is 'Make sure you have the latest Oculus 0.4.4 Runtime installed. Virtual desktop is not compatible with 0.4.3 or prior versions'

I just tested the current version with a DK1 and it works without issues. I have the 0.5.0.1 Runtime installed. You might wanna give it a try. If that still doesn't work, check that the configuration utility detects the DK1, check that the "Rift DK" monitor enabled in the windows display settings and make sure your DK1 turned "on".

guygodin
Protege
"dimi" wrote:

I know nothing about programming and my question could be naiev, but it would be some-when possible to displaying the VR screen on an extended screen (or forced expanded screen) without Oculus?

Then it would be possible with TeamViewer, X display, LogMeIn, AirDisplay to use the Samsung VR goggles, or manufactured for iPhone 6 (Zeiss) ????

No, you need an Oculus DevKit for this application to work.

SirMcintosh
Honored Guest
"malik6040" wrote:
Hello Guy,

Many thanks for this amazing app.

Just a quick question, I am using DK1 and I have installed virtual desktop and the oculus runtime 0.4.4

But I have already installed the latest available Oculus runtime. This still does not solve my problem.

Can you please help me fix this?
Thanks,
Malik

So I actually been fighting this issue all night and you can see I rarely post but I have looked through all types of websites and forums and couldn't find a solution. It's always check your firmware and check your usb port etc. At this point I discovered that the solution I'm looking for is basically non existent so I started playing with the actual oculus utility. So if you're utility is seeing your DK1 but VD is not, simply go into your Rift display settings and disable DK1 Legacy support. At this point the VD program will say something about direct input not supported. After that, go back in and re-enable Dk1 Legacy support and boom, VD should see your rift again.