New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    Sent you a PM :)
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • RaySuaveRaySuave Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just got my DK2 a few weeks ago and have been trying to get Virtual desktop (Version 0.9.23 [Beta]) to work ever since but I keep getting this message ("rift detected but display isnt active") after clicking a gray eye shaped icon in my notification area when I have the DK2 on and configured as the second monitor with the app running.

I am able to get pretty much most of of my games and other apps using the DK2 with good results....this is the only app Im still having trouble with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CPU: i7 4690K
    GPU: ASUS GTX 970
    Main Monitor: LG HDTV
    RAM: 16 GB
    oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.4_win
    Art3mis
    RaySuave wrote:
    I just got my DK2 a few weeks ago and have been trying to get Virtual desktop (Version 0.9.23 [Beta]) to work ever since but I keep getting this message ("rift detected but display isnt active") after clicking a gray eye shaped icon in my notification area when I have the DK2 on and configured as the second monitor with the app running.

I am able to get pretty much most of of my games and other apps using the DK2 with good results....this is the only app Im still having trouble with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CPU: i7 4690K
    GPU: ASUS GTX 970
    Main Monitor: LG HDTV
    RAM: 16 GB
    oculus_runtime_rev_1_sdk_0.4.4_win
    Did you update the firmware on your DK2? It should be version 2.12. Something else I would try is to install the latest Runtime (0.5.0.1) and see if that helps, it is backward compatible so there's no worries it won't work with other titles.
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    Welcome to the joys of development hardware. I hope you didn't expect that it would be easy :lol:

Are you able to launch the demo scene on the Rift?
    Is the screen turned on in the control panel?
    Does the HMD have power (amber or green light at all)?
    Have you tried switching USB ports? Seems that using a powered-usb hub helps with some issues

As a rambling idea, has anyone tried disabling their explorer.exe from starting, and adding VD to the list of startup programs? Sort of a hackish way of making it a windows shell.
  • Hello Guy,

Many thanks for this amazing app.

Just a quick question, I am using DK1 and I have installed virtual desktop and the oculus runtime 0.4.4

However when I launch the app it says, No Rift detected! I know you have talked about this issue, but all it says is 'Make sure you have the latest Oculus 0.4.4 Runtime installed. Virtual desktop is not compatible with 0.4.3 or prior versions'

But I have already installed the latest available Oculus runtime. This still does not solve my problem.

Can you please help me fix this?
    Thanks,
    Malik
  • dimidimi Posts: 7
    Google Translate

Dear guygodin,

I would like to add my thanks here.

I use Virtual Desktop for an important application for which I only use the Windows screen and no games.

I know nothing about programming and my question could be naiev, but it would be some-when possible to displaying the VR screen on an extended screen (or forced expanded screen) without Oculus?

Then it would be possible with TeamViewer, X display, LogMeIn, AirDisplay to use the Samsung VR goggles, or manufactured for iPhone 6 (Zeiss) ????
    Art3mis
    malik6040 wrote:
    However when I launch the app it says, No Rift detected! I know you have talked about this issue, but all it says is 'Make sure you have the latest Oculus 0.4.4 Runtime installed. Virtual desktop is not compatible with 0.4.3 or prior versions'
    I just tested the current version with a DK1 and it works without issues. I have the 0.5.0.1 Runtime installed. You might wanna give it a try. If that still doesn't work, check that the configuration utility detects the DK1, check that the "Rift DK" monitor enabled in the windows display settings and make sure your DK1 turned "on".
    Art3mis
    dimi wrote:
    I know nothing about programming and my question could be naiev, but it would be some-when possible to displaying the VR screen on an extended screen (or forced expanded screen) without Oculus?

Then it would be possible with TeamViewer, X display, LogMeIn, AirDisplay to use the Samsung VR goggles, or manufactured for iPhone 6 (Zeiss) ????
    No, you need an Oculus DevKit for this application to work.
  • malik6040 wrote:
    Hello Guy,

Many thanks for this amazing app.

Just a quick question, I am using DK1 and I have installed virtual desktop and the oculus runtime 0.4.4

But I have already installed the latest available Oculus runtime. This still does not solve my problem.

Can you please help me fix this?
    Thanks,
    Malik

So I actually been fighting this issue all night and you can see I rarely post but I have looked through all types of websites and forums and couldn't find a solution. It's always check your firmware and check your usb port etc. At this point I discovered that the solution I'm looking for is basically non existent so I started playing with the actual oculus utility. So if you're utility is seeing your DK1 but VD is not, simply go into your Rift display settings and disable DK1 Legacy support. At this point the VD program will say something about direct input not supported. After that, go back in and re-enable Dk1 Legacy support and boom, VD should see your rift again.
    Art3mis
    Thanks SirMcintosh for that solution!
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 436
    Art3mis
    I hate to ask this question, but I cannot sleep by the anticipation - when will you release the next version you teased everyone with a while back?
    Art3mis
    I hate to ask this question, but I cannot sleep by the anticipation - when will you release the next version you teased everyone with a while back?
    Very very soon :D
    Art3mis
    guygodin wrote:
    Funny funny you :D
  • guygodin wrote:

No, thank you for this amazing program. I have noticed one thing there is a small edit to the solution because there is a order the steps need to be done.

1. Turn off Dk1 Legacy Support (make sure VD is not running)
    2. Launch VD program and you'll get a error about direct mode not supported
    3. Go back to configuration utility and re-enable dk1 legacy support with VD program still running with error about direct mode in the back ground and VD will see the oculus and function like normal.

Tested several times and it seems to be the easiest way to fix the issues with Dk1

Thanks Guygodin
  • I can get it to run fine and can see the desktop and setting menu. However when I add a game to the list and press play it's just stuck on launching and nothing ever runs? I get the text to speech saying it's loading but nothing happens.

I have also tried right clicking the game .exe and choosing load in the oculus rift but again nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated! ;)
    Creative Director at CMSi & occasional freelance graphic designer
    http://www.door15studio.com
  • SharkkuSharkku Posts: 575
    Art3mis
    guygodin wrote:
    Funny funny you :D
    That WAS actually very very soon!!! :D Not "Oculus-soon"!
    DK1 - previously owned
    DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24)
    CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day)
    Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)
  • VegasGh0stVegasGh0st Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    guygodin wrote:

No, thank you for this amazing program. I have noticed one thing there is a small edit to the solution because there is a order the steps need to be done.

1. Turn off Dk1 Legacy Support (make sure VD is not running)
    2. Launch VD program and you'll get a error about direct mode not supported
    3. Go back to configuration utility and re-enable dk1 legacy support with VD program still running with error about direct mode in the back ground and VD will see the oculus and function like normal.

Tested several times and it seems to be the easiest way to fix the issues with Dk1

Thanks Guygodin

Yes sir, sadly Oculus no longer seem to care about there loyal DK1 fanbase,
    The new runtime breaks most all programs and demos with the DK1.
    The only way to get anything to work is to try the above or some other convoluted method,
    Runtime 5xx DOES NOT play well with the DK1.
    Sadly this makes using this program or Unity 5, Among many others almost completely unusable for me.
    Nothing is impossible, just time consuming.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If you are having a problem with your DK1, can you post your own thread in the Reporting Issues section? If you have discovered a problem, I can create a bug report for it. From what I've been told, DK1 is supposed to work and has been tested with as part of the QA process before software releases. But it's possible something has slipped through the cracks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Hi guy.

First congratulations for the app. I love it.

My suggest is for Curved Screen size. Actually the size depend directly of curvature. Is it possible make size independent of curvature?

I like a little curvature, but not so much. But i like size ;)
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    Love the update, very cool indeed.
    Just a couple of problems I am having.
    I am still having issues playing .avi files with the video player on Win 8.1 and after launching a game from the menu, I get random launches. Very strange :)
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
    Art3mis
    Jeronimous wrote:
    Hi guy.

First congratulations for the app. I love it.

My suggest is for Curved Screen size. Actually the size depend directly of curvature. Is it possible make size independent of curvature?

I like a little curvature, but not so much. But i like size ;)
    I think the curve is made out of an imaginary sphere around you, so if you want less curvature you have to set the screen distance further away...?
  • running windows 8.1 and the virtual desktop comes up and looks great but just about any app I click on does not appear.
    The only app I have got to work is the control panel.
    When the oculus is on its the primary monitor so I am not sure whats going on.
    I know the apps are running because when I turn off the oculus they appear on my monitor.
    Any ideas?
    Art3mis
    Love the update, very cool indeed.
    Just a couple of problems I am having.
    I am still having issues playing .avi files with the video player on Win 8.1 and after launching a game from the menu, I get random launches. Very strange :)
    What do you mean by random launches?
    manoflinux wrote:
    running windows 8.1 and the virtual desktop comes up and looks great but just about any app I click on does not appear.
    I know the apps are running because when I turn off the oculus they appear on my monitor.
    Any ideas?
    As the FAQ says, dont set the rift as primary when using virtual desktop.
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    I can't install this version, I'm getting an "error configuring Windows features" just after it installs Microsoft speech platform packages. Apparently all 4 packages install fine, I can see them on add/remove programs, but VRDesktop refuses to install. I have tried to uninstall speech packages and reinstall again, but it still won't work. Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 8.1 with every update applied, Oculus runtime is 0.5.1.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
    Art3mis
    You might need to install the windows media feature pack if you are using a Windows 'N' edition. Links are above the download button.
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    Nope, I'm using a standard Windows 8 version with Media Player, Skype and all.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
    Art3mis
    The last thing it does after installing the speech stuff it making sure that windows media player features are inatalled. Can you try to go in the control panel, programs and features, then windows feature and make sure you have all the windows media stuff installed?

I can try to tweak the installer if that doesnt work. Thanks!
  • manoflinux wrote:
    running windows 8.1 and the virtual desktop comes up and looks great but just about any app I click on does not appear.
    Any ideas?
    As the FAQ says, dont set the rift as primary when using virtual desktop.[/quote]

I misread that, I thought it had to be the primary!
    But now I have a new problem, netflix wont display any video, sound comes though fine and it shows on my normal monitor.
    Art3mis
    For some reason netflix doesn't output correctly in IE but works in Chrome.
  • guygodin wrote:
    For some reason netflix doesn't output correctly in IE but works in Chrome.
    And firefox. I should have done firefox first but I thought since its silverlight it would be better in ie.
    Damn ie you cant even handle your plugin!
    oh well I guess I should not talk ill of the soon to be discarded, cya later ie.

Also one more thing, when I move the distance it only seems to do anything up to a point, I still cant see most of it at once.
    But I do love the look, the stars are awesome, and thanks for answering all my questions.