cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Love the update, very cool indeed.
Just a couple of problems I am having.
I am still having issues playing .avi files with the video player on Win 8.1 and after launching a game from the menu, I get random launches. Very strange 🙂
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Jeronimous" wrote:
Hi guy.

First congratulations for the app. I love it.

My suggest is for Curved Screen size. Actually the size depend directly of curvature. Is it possible make size independent of curvature?

I like a little curvature, but not so much. But i like size 😉

I think the curve is made out of an imaginary sphere around you, so if you want less curvature you have to set the screen distance further away...?

manoflinux
Honored Guest
running windows 8.1 and the virtual desktop comes up and looks great but just about any app I click on does not appear.
The only app I have got to work is the control panel.
When the oculus is on its the primary monitor so I am not sure whats going on.
I know the apps are running because when I turn off the oculus they appear on my monitor.
Any ideas?

guygodin
Protege
"HappyHimitsu" wrote:
Love the update, very cool indeed.
Just a couple of problems I am having.
I am still having issues playing .avi files with the video player on Win 8.1 and after launching a game from the menu, I get random launches. Very strange 🙂

What do you mean by random launches?
"manoflinux" wrote:
running windows 8.1 and the virtual desktop comes up and looks great but just about any app I click on does not appear.
I know the apps are running because when I turn off the oculus they appear on my monitor.
Any ideas?

As the FAQ says, dont set the rift as primary when using virtual desktop.

LordJuanlo
Protege
I can't install this version, I'm getting an "error configuring Windows features" just after it installs Microsoft speech platform packages. Apparently all 4 packages install fine, I can see them on add/remove programs, but VRDesktop refuses to install. I have tried to uninstall speech packages and reinstall again, but it still won't work. Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 8.1 with every update applied, Oculus runtime is 0.5.1.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

guygodin
Protege
You might need to install the windows media feature pack if you are using a Windows 'N' edition. Links are above the download button.

LordJuanlo
Protege
Nope, I'm using a standard Windows 8 version with Media Player, Skype and all.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

guygodin
Protege
The last thing it does after installing the speech stuff it making sure that windows media player features are inatalled. Can you try to go in the control panel, programs and features, then windows feature and make sure you have all the windows media stuff installed?

I can try to tweak the installer if that doesnt work. Thanks!

manoflinux
Honored Guest
"manoflinux" wrote:
Any ideas?

As the FAQ says, dont set the rift as primary when using virtual desktop.

I misread that, I thought it had to be the primary!
But now I have a new problem, netflix wont display any video, sound comes though fine and it shows on my normal monitor.

guygodin
Protege
For some reason netflix doesn't output correctly in IE but works in Chrome.