cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

manoflinux
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
For some reason netflix doesn't output correctly in IE but works in Chrome.

And firefox. I should have done firefox first but I thought since its silverlight it would be better in ie.
Damn ie you cant even handle your plugin!
oh well I guess I should not talk ill of the soon to be discarded, cya later ie.

Also one more thing, when I move the distance it only seems to do anything up to a point, I still cant see most of it at once.
But I do love the look, the stars are awesome, and thanks for answering all my questions.

guygodin
Protege
When the distance changes it keeps the same relative screen size because without it it was kinda hard to control.

MiLO83
Honored Guest
Hi guygodin,
I just installed the update, everything works great here.

I've been wanting to talk to you for some time, as we all have Dev Kits,
A large population of us are 3D Modellers.

Can we have the option to make and import our own background scenes like the "Home Theater"?
I would very much enjoy making my own! (Like my livingroom at my childhood house for watching cartoons)

Please respond via PM and here for everyone else.
- Myles Johnston

Peteo
Expert Protege
Just installed Virtual Desktop. But every time i launch I get this error:

Could not load file or assembly 'SharpDX, Version=2.6.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b4dcf0f35e5521f1' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

It will not run. im on win 7 x64 oculus 5.0.1 DK2

sorry had old version still installed. Uninstalled that version and re installed the new version. Pretty cool!!!

manoflinux
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
When the distance changes it keeps the same relative screen size because without it it was kinda hard to control.

sorry I don't know why I didn't see that screen size slider!
Much better.

HighWarlordBob
Honored Guest
Hi there.

I am running Windows 8 and have been attempting to install Virtual Desktop. Unfortunately, I am unable to get past the point where the installer tries to update my version of DirectX 11.1 from 6.2.9200.16420 to 6.2.9200.16492. This action is performed immediately after I click the Next button on the Prerequisites page. On the Prerequisites page, the following information is given:

Name Version Action
.NET Framework 4.5 Required: any. Found an acceptable version. Skip
DirectX 11.1 Runtime x64 Required: 6.2.9200.16492 or higher. Found: 6.2.9200.16420. Install

After the necessary update for DirectX 11.1 is download from Microsoft by the Virtual Desktop installer, a window appears with the message: "The update is not applicable to your computer." This prompts the installation to fail, and I am then returned to the Prerequisites page.

If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know. I would very much like to take advantage of the convenience that Virtual Desktop has to offer. I have spent a good few hours searching high and low for a way to manually update my DirectX 11.1 subversion, but to no avail.

Thank you!

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Just updated Virtual Desktop and Tri-Def. Now StarCraft II is working again. Also had a chance to try out The Walking Dead which worked fine as a 3D game (can't see how that can be made VR without Tell Tale actually updating it themselves).

No new suggestions so here are my old ones:

1. In the cinema room let Screen Size affect how close we "sit" to the monitor. Not sure if the chair can be moved or if this is a static screenshot making that impossible. If so, maybe let the screen approach us.

2. Ability to use our own 360 equirectangular or sky box images (2D and 3D) as the background.

3. The "show desktop" in video player doesn't work with the cinema room selected as the background.

4. Can there be an "equidistant" viewing option where every part of the screen is same view distance? It'll look flat far away and small but gets more curved the closer it gets. It's my preferred viewing mode in Live View Rift.

guygodin
Protege
"MiLO83" wrote:
Can we have the option to make and import our own background scenes like the "Home Theater"?
I would very much enjoy making my own! (Like my livingroom at my childhood house for watching cartoons.

The assets need to be compiled so it's not an easy process. I've been looking into adding the option to use custom skyboxes or custom models but it's not a simple task..
"HighWarlordBob" wrote:
I am running Windows 8 and have been attempting to install Virtual Desktop. Unfortunately, I am unable to get past the point where the installer tries to update my version of DirectX 11.1 from 6.2.9200.16420 to 6.2.9200.16492.

This has been fixed in the latest version. Re-download the installer (from http://www.vrdesktop.net) and run it again.

Thanks for the suggestions Nuke.
1) This will cause clipping issues with the seats, not sure if its a good idea..
2) as ive said before, skyboxes are made from 6 2k x 2k textures, not something the average user can create. I might add the ability to import "environment packs" in the future though..
3) this is by design
4) well the curved mode is actually a sphere so in theory the distance from the screen is the same no matter the angle. I should probably check out liveviewrift to know what you mean..

MiLO83
Honored Guest
guygodin,
Why do the assets need to be compiled?
Is Virtual Desktop using a 3rd party engine of sorts?
What engine is it?
As for it not being a simple task, it would very much be worth it.
We could link environments to desktop shortcuts...
but also, movie or game themed environments for different 2D movies and games.
Like watch Jurassic Park in a JP Jeep, or Star Wars on the Death Star..
I hate to say it but I wanted to make my own environments so bad,
I hooked up full screen webcam capture to a texture in unity3d a couple weeks ago, but it didn't work very well.
Any other 3D modellers here want to see this feature?
I use Virtual Desktop alllll day. I just can't see without knowing why you can't just get some open source .obj loading code from somewhere... I'm just sayin, custom environments is the way to go! 😄

guygodin
Protege
It's using SharpDX (and the SharpDX Toolkit). So things like skyboxes are essentially DDS textures compiled with the toolkit, Models (like the home theater) a FBX compiled with the toolkit...