cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

MiLO83
Honored Guest
So if I were to get said SharpDX toolkit.... I could convert a fbx myself?

EDIT: I have been reading:

"1) As SharpDX uses Assimp.NET as backend to load and convert models - it supports any format that is supported by Assimp.NET.
2) The main processing is done in the ModelCompiler class."

So if you used assimp to load fbx files instead of precompiling them?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"MiLO83" wrote:
Any other 3D modellers here want to see this feature?

Any other whatever do of course want to see this feature 😄

It's not a must but it would be so great. Through Easter I took a few 360 degree full sphere photos with my Google phone up in the norwegian mountains - it's on Google Maps, try if you can find them 😄

... anyway, to even be able to use my own skyboxes would be great.

@guygodin:

Being able to resize the window is a great feature, but could you please have it so it load up with the last size used when it start up?

MiLO83
Honored Guest
Hi Guygodin,
Gudmornin.

I have gotten a custom 3D model to work by converting it from .obj to .tkb via tkmodel.exe, and replacing HomeTheater.tkb with it. The HomeTheaterA.tkb was just a renamed PNG file as far as I can see so far.

However, i'm missing the logic behind the texture reading, as the entire mesh displays the desktop (With the UV coords that should be referenced to the PNG) 😛

I am using 3DSMAX, and have tried..
Naming the materials "Screen" and "HomeTheaterA"
Using material ID 1 and 2.
Multi-Sub material.
Drag and Dropping a texture onto the model in viewport.
(In different combinations)

I am only using 1 texture named HomeTheaterA.PNG and renaming it to .tkb.

Would you be willing to send me the original HomeTheater.fbx so I can take a look?
Whats the step i'm missing?

:idea:

onionburst
Honored Guest
Hey Guy, first of all thanks for your wonderful commitment to devving this killer-app for the rift, you will come into much fortune with the path you are on and I use this app every day.

Secondly, I have an issue installing this latest version of VR desktop. As another user pointed out earlier, I cannot get past
"LordJuanlo" wrote:
I can't install this version, I'm getting an "error configuring Windows features" just after it installs Microsoft speech platform packages.

I have the packages installed and all the updates and media update, but my install consistently fails at this part. Windows 7 64bit. Tell me if I can help solve this issue in any way, I've tried to do what you said to troubleshoot and nothing works.

LordJuanlo
Protege
"guygodin" wrote:
The last thing it does after installing the speech stuff it making sure that windows media player features are inatalled. Can you try to go in the control panel, programs and features, then windows feature and make sure you have all the windows media stuff installed?

I can try to tweak the installer if that doesnt work. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, I've just found out that I'm affected by this problem, but under Windows 8.1:

http://www.leeenux-linux.com/blog/fix-f ... windows-7/

I haven't found a way to fix it yet, so I'm afraid I'll have to do a full Windows reinstall :x
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

guygodin
Protege
Okay I've removed the "media features" requirements from the installer, can you guys give it another try and let me know if that fixed your problem?

Download here

Thanks

LordJuanlo
Protege
Thanks, now it installed fine. Anyway thanks to this problem I found out that my Windows setup is corrupt 😉
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

guygodin
Protege
"Ruudscorner" wrote:
Being able to resize the window is a great feature, but could you please have it so it load up with the last size used when it start up?

It already saves the size and distance when you hide the window.

dreward
Explorer
Great app. Could you support multiple virtual monitors? This would be amazing for me.
And now for the really big ask....
IS there any way to insert your 2D desktop as a floating image or display inside another DK2 App. While debugging I would like to be able to see other windows without removing my DK2

guygodin
Protege
"dreward" wrote:
Great app. Could you support multiple virtual monitors? This would be amazing for me.
And now for the really big ask....
IS there any way to insert your 2D desktop as a floating image or display inside another DK2 App. While debugging I would like to be able to see other windows without removing my DK2

Can't create virtual monitors as I've said many times. It's a limitation of Windows. A monitor has to be tied to a graphics adapter and port on the video card.

You can use something like the "headless ghost" to simulate a connected monitor if you have free dvi/hdmi ports on your video card.

Can't render stuff in other apps (at least not without injection and that's not something I plan to do)