cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

E-A-S-T
Honored Guest
Can't run any games or applications when inside Virtual Desktop. When starting Stuff it just says "Launching..." and nothing happens, like shown in the image below.
vr desktop.jpg

"Set Rift as main monitor" and "Don't mirror to monitor" does nothing.

I don't get it :? Am I doing something wrong here?

Virtual Desktop runs smooth though.

I,m currently on Win 8.1 64bit
Using latest 0.5.0.1-Beta Runtime
Geforce 780Ti

jwvanderbeck
Explorer
I had tried out an early version of this but it was pretty basic at the time, and I passed on it. With the latest release I decided to try it out again and it really has matured a lot. I especially like the new built in player for 180/360 video content!

If I can i'd like to possibly request two things, which should be pretty simple, I hope, for the video player.

1. The ability to skip through the video with hotkeys like most video players. I know I can seek with the mouse but that has two problems. One it just isn't as convenient as quickly jumping through say 30s with the arrow keys, and secondly it causes the huge UI to cover up the video for several seconds.

2. How come I can't lean in on the videos like I can everything else in Virtual Desktop? I would love to be able to lean in and have the video get larger just like normal.

OnEdge
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
In next week's update, mirroring will work as a global option so this will allow games that have launchers to be mirrored. I havent tested iRacing specifically but it let me know if it doesn't. As for the ability to remap key bindings that will be added shortly after.

Hi, just trying to get mirror mode working for iRacing but so far have no success. Has anyone had better luck?

I am running 2 monitors + the rift (all from the same graphics card). When the game loads in the rift one monitor shuts off and the other continues to display one side of the windows desktop.

Thanks for any help!

guygodin
Protege
"froggler" wrote:
Can't run any games or applications when inside Virtual Desktop. When starting Stuff it just says "Launching..." and nothing happens

Use the regular game executables, not the direct-to-rift ones.
"jwvanderbeck" wrote:
1. The ability to skip through the video with hotkeys like most video players. I know I can seek with the mouse but that has two problems. One it just isn't as convenient as quickly jumping through say 30s with the arrow keys, and secondly it causes the huge UI to cover up the video for several seconds.

2. How come I can't lean in on the videos like I can everything else in Virtual Desktop? I would love to be able to lean in and have the video get larger just like normal.

Great suggestion with the arrow keys, I'll implement that. For the videos, I have to project the screen at infinity so leaning in doesnt have any effect. That's just a limitation of 360 videos in VR because the camera that filmed the video had a fixed position.

Mirroing to monitor uses dll injection and is experimental. It will only work with certain games (it might not work on some games if they do quircky things in their rendering). That being said I will have a look at iRacing and try to figure out why it isn't working.

OnEdge
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:

Mirroing to monitor uses dll injection and is experimental. It will only work with certain games (it might not work on some games if they do quircky things in their rendering). That being said I will have a look at iRacing and try to figure out why it isn't working.

Thanks very much!

MiLO83
Honored Guest

I present to you the HomerTheater Environment Hack. 😄

If Guy says it's ok, and only with his permission I will make a video showing how I did it, and also release the environment.

Hey Guy! I did it!

guygodin
Protege
Haha very cool! I love it! Feel free to make a video on how you did it. I'll eventually add support for custom environments so you don't have to replace the home theater or one of the skybox.

E-A-S-T
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
"froggler" wrote:
Can't run any games or applications when inside Virtual Desktop. When starting Stuff it just says "Launching..." and nothing happens

Use the regular game executables, not the direct-to-rift ones.

Yeah that doesn't work either 😕 Just says "Launching..." and nothing happens. This is on Win 8.1

On windows 10 It's the same problem, but worse since navigating is really sluggish.

On Windows 7 everything is working fine. I'm able to launch whatever I want! BUT now Headracking is not working at all in the Rift. No tracker attached it says in the Oculus Configuration utility.

Win 8.1 is the one with less issues apart from VR desktop not being able to launch stuff.

guygodin
Protege
I really have no idea why it would fail to launch stuff. Are you running VD as administrator?

trillbo
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
I really have no idea why it would fail to launch stuff. Are you running VD as administrator?

I'm having the exact same problem. Windows 8.1. Running Virtual Desktop as administrator.