cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
I'd be curious to know if a process is created at all (look in task manager), does it stay at "launching..." forever?

trillbo
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
I'd be curious to know if a process is created at all (look in task manager), does it stay at "launching..." forever?

The game doesn't show at all in task manager. Yeah it just stays at "launching..." until you quit and restart VD. I can grab some screenshots when home from work later if needed.

Quasa
Honored Guest
Hi Guy & all the community,

Amazing program you have compiled, really good work you have done. 😉

Ok so far, I have tried VD with most of my games (racing, FPS, RPG) & they all work nicely.
I'm running the FreePIE Python script for most FPS games & with VD, it's perfect, we finally have it all as Tridef, VorpX, IZ3D or Virieo would do, but in better, all with head tracking included.

Some of the games I tried :

FC 2 / 3 / 4
Dying Light
Crysis 1 /2

Some more feedback soon as I need to experience more & test more stuff. But future looks promising. Another program which I need to test more in association with yours is OpenTrack with Oculus Rift HMD Tracker.

Here's the FreePIE Python Script used that makes all your FPS games working with head tracking, thanks to the developer of Star Citizen, Chris Roberts 😉 :

def update():
yaw = math.degrees(oculusVR.yaw)
pitch = math.degrees(oculusVR.pitch)

deltaYaw = filters.delta(yaw)
deltaPitch = filters.delta(pitch)

if (enabled):
mouse.deltaX = -deltaYaw*multiply
mouse.deltaY = -deltaPitch*multiply

if starting:
enabled = True
multiply = 17
#oculusVR.center()
oculusVR.update += update

recenter = keyboard.getPressed(Key.PageDown)
toggle = keyboard.getPressed(Key.PageUp)

if toggle:
enabled = not enabled

if recenter:
oculusVR.center()

diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.yaw)
diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.pitch)
diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.roll)
diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.x)
diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.y)
diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.z)

Now question is, what would be the best way of integrating this with your amazing program & make it almost perfect as you would have it with natively DK2 VR games ?

___Happy DK2 Immersion to all of you___

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely love Virtual Desktop! Best piece of software available for DK2!

The thing that I would like most that is missing so far is support for NVIDIA 3d vision content. If this was supported in the same way that SBS 3d content is currently supported it would be absolutely amazing.

That would be huge to play GTA V in an IMAX-sized theater with full low persistence. It would be a dream come true.

Did I just suggest something impossible?

tbhausen
Explorer
Guy,

Can I install 0.9.26 over top of 0.9.23? I don't have a physical monitor connected (my primary display is a Headless Ghost), and I'd like to update without reconfiguration if possible.

Thanks!
Todd Bettenhausen
Indianapolis, IN

guygodin
Protege
"tbhausen" wrote:
Can I install 0.9.26 over top of 0.9.23? I don't have a physical monitor connected, and I'd like to update without reconfiguration if possible.

It depends if 0.9.23 was installed for all users or just a single user. In the first case, it will automatically replace the old version with the new but in the latter case It won't be able to uninstall and you'll end up with 2 which might conflict. You can always remove the lenses and look at the screen if you need to, that's the trick I use 😛

tbhausen
Explorer
Thanks for the QUICK response 🙂 Is default install of 0.9.23 all users or only me?

EDIT: I think I'm the only user set up on my PC (if that matters at all).

guygodin
Protege
It should have defaulted to all users if you are admin on the machine. Note that this is no longer an option with 0.9.26 and it will always install for all users (to avoid those upgrade nightmares)

tbhausen
Explorer
Pretty sure I took the default and I'm an admin user... thanks again!

tryiv
Honored Guest
after a few restarts with this applicatio installed i got a bsod on a startup,
have had to do a system restore twice trying to figure out what caused the problem, i really am not sure why. my computer only has one free hdmi port, and it connects to the integrated graphics card and not my nvidia 860m, so when i run virtual desktop, unless i want just a black square in front of me, i have to tell it to run with the intel graphics card, could this be causing problems?