cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No HMD detected - On extend Desktop

Mbreis
Honored Guest
Hi,
When I Choose extend to desktop to the hmd everything works fine, the oculus screen turns on, the resolution is set. But on the configuration utility it says that there is "NO HMD DETECTED, Tracker Connected" and the games also do not recognize that there is a HMD, so I am not being able to utilize the rift. I am using the DK2, i have already updated all of my softwares and I have already reinstalled the oculus utility and drivers and still nothing. I have also switched usb drives from 2.0 to 3.0, turned the headset on and off and still nothing. I am considering formating my pc which is currently 8.1 to maybe windows 7. If anyone can help at all I will be very thankful.
39 REPLIES 39

Lhun
Explorer
try connecting your rift to the spot where you put your tv using the DVI-I adapater oculus provides. Connect your monitor via HDMI, and lower the resolution until you find one that will do 75hz.

I occasionally get an explorer crash when I enable direct mode drivers to extended desktop (explorer will literally crash).

I recommend as well, going to get CRU (custom resolution utility) and running its "reset all" exe as administrator. This deletes all active monitor registry cached formats and forces windows to redetect display hardware. Sometimes this helps. Do it with the rift hdmi disconnected. MAke sure the API sees everything but the hmd first.

YMMV, I'm also using an AMD card.

Atrushan
Explorer
I just updated my runtime to the latest "0.5.0.1-beta" and I am having the exact same issue.

Direct to Rift works fine, but as soon as I switch to extended mode it can't detect it anymore.

DonkyBoY
Protege
@Lhun

My monitor is running @75Hz 😄 (causes jitter / judder in the Rift if it is not)

I am not able to connect my TV via HDMI.

I will test (and report my findings) at some point with the Rift in the DVI-I port on the primary card with 5.0.1 maybe in the next few days after the week end.

Thankyou for your help.
Oculus CV1 room scale with 3 tracker's
i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz with delid and Liquid metal ultra +Corsair H110i / MSI GTX1080Ti Sea Hawk / 32GB DDR3 @2400Mhz
(All rads running EK Furious Vardar F4 / F5 fans)
Sandisk Extreme for OS and Kingston SSD Now for games
Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/xgsdonkyboy
TS3 server = xgs.ts3.nz

MariaOculus
Honored Guest
Hi I'm having the same issue - the extended desktop was working ok with 0.4 but since I installed 0.5 it stopped detecting the HMD. Went back to 0.4-4 and still have the same issue. Tried both with DVI and HDMI cables. Can anyone help please? Thank you

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you guys are reporting problems, please include as much information as possible. Just saying "it doesn't work" is not enough to track this down. For starters, include the Oculus Config Util diagnostic log (Tools->Advanced), check the Windows event log for Oculus errors, check to see if you have any remote desktop / screen sharing apps (like TeamViewer), USB video devices (DisplayLink, Dell SuperSpeed), or a large number of monitors plugged into the computer.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

shawncw1
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
If you guys are reporting problems, please include as much information as possible. Just saying "it doesn't work" is not enough to track this down. For starters, include the Oculus Config Util diagnostic log (Tools->Advanced), check the Windows event log for Oculus errors, check to see if you have any remote desktop / screen sharing apps (like TeamViewer), USB video devices (DisplayLink, Dell SuperSpeed), or a large number of monitors plugged into the computer.

Oculus diagnostic attached
Windows event log attached

No remote desktop / screen sharing apps active
No USB video devices
No large number of monitors. Only using the laptop's built in screen + the Rift via the HDMI out

Tried uninstalling 0.5.0.1, restarting, reinstalling, restarting, with no success. Still getting the "No HMD Detected, Tracker Connected" error.

Thanks

firecutter23
Honored Guest
Hello mate, all you have to do is right click on the desktop, click on " Screen Resolution " and then enable the " Rift DK2 " screen as extend. It should work that way 😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's a good point, firecutter23. Are you guys sure the DK2 is enabled?

You can enable it in the Windows display settings (extend this display) or in the Nvidia control panel (display->setup multiple display) and AMD should have something similar.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DonkyBoY
Protege
"firecutter23" wrote:
Hello mate, all you have to do is right click on the desktop, click on " Screen Resolution " and then enable the " Rift DK2 " screen as extend. It should work that way 😄

"cybereality" wrote:
That's a good point, firecutter23. Are you guys sure the DK2 is enabled?

You can enable it in the Windows display settings (extend this display) or in the Nvidia control panel (display->setup multiple display) and AMD should have something similar.

Er if the Rift is not detected it wont show up in the Windows display manager cos well its not detected and as such not connected.

Also if the Rift was not turned on it would say in the Oculus Configuration Utility "No Device Attached" in black rather than "NO HMD Detected" in bold red capitals.

So as you can see this is not any thing to do with us not turning our units on (I wish it was something so simple and easy to fix).

Here is screen of problem oculus problems.png

Here is screen of Rift turned off rift not turned on.png

Also donot forget to note that this problem goes away for us if we remove 5.0.1 and reinstall 0.4.4 it works just fine.
Oculus CV1 room scale with 3 tracker's
i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz with delid and Liquid metal ultra +Corsair H110i / MSI GTX1080Ti Sea Hawk / 32GB DDR3 @2400Mhz
(All rads running EK Furious Vardar F4 / F5 fans)
Sandisk Extreme for OS and Kingston SSD Now for games
Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/xgsdonkyboy
TS3 server = xgs.ts3.nz

cybereality
Grand Champion
@DonkyBoY: I wasn't talking about the power to the Rift being on. I was talking about whether it is enabled as an extended display in Windows (which can be done either in the Windows change resolution panel or within the Nvidia/AMD control panels). If you disable the Rift in Windows, it will absolutely show the exact message you are getting in the Config Util ("No HMD Detected, Tracker Connected").