Oculus and Windows 10? - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus and Windows 10?

Comments

• McFaulTechMcFaulTech Posts: 418
    Hiro Protagonist
    windows 10, being a preview, is likely to be far from priority. Too much will change too quickly to put valuable time and effort into working with it right now, I'd say. With Rift being beta, time is much better spent getting it work well enough with existing OS's.
    Gigabyte Z97-i5 4670, 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill, crossfired 7970 3gb, EVGA g2 1300 PSU
    WHERE IS THE VR BASS FISHING???
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    Anyone hear anything about directx12 outside of the heterogeneous GPU stuff in regards to VR direct-style rendering possibilities?

Or will they be putting things in windows 10 to "enhance" anything that isn't hololens related? :mrgreen:
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • JanOJanO Posts: 17
    McFaulTech wrote:
    windows 10, being a preview, is likely to be far from priority. Too much will change too quickly to put valuable time and effort into working with it right now, I'd say. With Rift being beta, time is much better spent getting it work well enough with existing OS's.

There's also something to be said about most of us here being developers and forward looking... Consumers buying a Rift will most likely be of the early adopter type and will migrate quickly to win10.

Since the project I'm working on will come out in the Windows 10 time frame, I'd appreciate any official info I can use to plan my developing strategy for the upcoming transition to a win10 ecosystem...

Any info Cyber?
    The best part of Virtual Reality actually isn't even a part of Reality!
  • gocovalentgocovalent Posts: 46 Oculus Start Member
    JanO wrote:
    McFaulTech wrote:

There's also something to be said about most of us here being developers and forward looking... Consumers buying a Rift will most likely be of the early adopter type and will migrate quickly to win10.

Since the project I'm working on will come out in the Windows 10 time frame, I'd appreciate any official info I can use to plan my developing strategy for the upcoming transition to a win10 ecosystem...

Any info Cyber?

Exactly my point... Win 10 will be here before you know it, would be great for us developers to get a bit of a head start on compatibility and d12 feature sets :D
  • McFaulTechMcFaulTech Posts: 418
    Hiro Protagonist
    makes sense, but then you are talking about a whole new API. I did read some stuff that claimed it would be a cakewalk to transition an ap from dx10 or 11 to dx12. They really didn't get into specifics though since it was more of a review discussing the better use of cpu cores, multithreading, and how the gpu interacts with the cpu. It was overall pretty non technical though and didn't dive into anything specific.

If you can currently work in Unity with dx12 then why not work on what's already available...unless you intend to only off support for Windows 10 in your ap? On the Unity site if anyone is interested- "Currently our plan is to release DirectX 12 support early in the Unity 5 cycle (well in time for the release of Windows 10), and to target standalone builds and Windows Store Apps first." -http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/01/22/staying-ahead-with-directx-12/

Your all probably UE4.4 devs :-)
    Gigabyte Z97-i5 4670, 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill, crossfired 7970 3gb, EVGA g2 1300 PSU
    WHERE IS THE VR BASS FISHING???
  • kogashukokogashuko Posts: 179
    I have found, while running the tech preview so far, that everything is more stable in 10 than in 7. I find myself running 10 most of the time and my SSD with 7 on it sitting on my desk. That being said I cant get DK2 to run worth a damn with my 980 on either.
    /
    /
    KogaShuko
    DK 2 - Received = Paperweight due to failure to cooperate between Nvidia and Oculus.
    Glad my livelihood was not resting on development!
  • Oculus is now working with windows 10 build 10041.
  • n1Colan1Cola Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Can confirm it finally works without black screen after display driver install.
    All good on 10041 build, happy :)
  • sjblake83sjblake83 Posts: 26
    n1Cola wrote:
    Can confirm it finally works without black screen after display driver install.
    All good on 10041 build, happy :)
    Oculus is now working with windows 10 build 10041.

Thanks for the update guys! I'll try it out when I get home today.
  • uKERuKER Posts: 139
    Art3mis
    I missed this thread, and I just posted this about some issues I'm having with W10.
    Anyone is welcome to comment.
    Cheers!
  • TUFOMTUFOM Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I can confirm DK2 works on build 10041. ATi Drivers are kinda broken with sdk installed but graphics driver works, problem is CCC panel side. Panel just freezes for me but I can gain just enough control from windows display settings to get everything working.

Works perfectly:

Welcome to Oculus
    Don't let go
    Half-Life 2 (this thing seems to be rock solid, works on any configuration)

Works with minor bugs:
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    Riftmax Cinema (trouble to get video playing, windows 7 it was fine. I use virtual desktop for watching movies)

Works but is very buggy:

Virtual Desktop 32bit. I explain way I got it working. To be noted this for AMD/ATi.

1. Remove CCC and driver if windows installed those or you already have installed
    2. Instal latest beta drivers with custom install only driver and ccc ticked. Freesync seems to be the key? It came along with latest driver. (15.3 Beta)
    3. Oculus to extended mode and check that it is extended to right side of you main display. Don't know why this matters or does it matter at all but I did it.
    4. Instal virtual desktop 32bit, uncheck every option from meny. Close virtual desktop.
    5. Play something... Video for example, I used Netflix. I think for keeping "desktop fps" high if there is such thing
    6. Check fullscreen while something fps increasing is playing. Make sure it shows more than 2fps capture rate, you may need to toggle few times. When it goes right Immeadly klick Vsync on and hopefully it locks around 76, time to time it tries to lock in 60 and that is just juddery mess.
    7. If Vsync locks wrong you may need to toggle both fullscreen and vsync round and round until you get capture rate raised and +75 vsync.

8. When it works it works like a dream. No judder, I never ever got it working this good on Windows 7. Downside is amount of fidling around needed. Even games work fine, I tried KSP and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Windowed mode. In windows 7 I got pretty poor performance so I did not even try games with it.
    Art3mis
    Is anyone else having issues with the services management console, or uTorrent locking up?
    Art3mis
    Well, the new runtime appears to fix the issue in Windows 10 build 10041 where uTorrent and the services control panel would hang on startup.
    I can now use my DK2 again!
  • pdawg17pdawg17 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Demo scene crashes for me with this error after installing new runtime:

"Oculus display driver is not supported on this configuration and will not be installed"

Anyone else?
    NerveGear
    Tip if you have problems game start up with windows 10.

Add these parameters: -windowed -noborder

Half-Life 2 for example works perfectly this way. Forgot to mention this earlier.

And in my case new Oculus SDK fixed ATi CCC for me and now succesfully overclocked my primary display back to 75Hz (was on windows 7). Virtual Desktop works flawlessly without fullscreen mode and cpu usage dropped even more. Usage is next to nothing. ~10% (high quality distortion enabled)

For display overclocking I used custom resolution utility. Use at your own risk.
    NerveGear
    My windows autoupdated 10049 and oculus is not working again.
  • LhunLhun Posts: 189
    Hiro Protagonist
    10049 will work with the rift, but you need to use AMD's driver, not the WDDM 2.0 technical preview driver. It would be great if Oculus team would get support for that in the SDK, but it gets errors almost immediately.

according to AMD, the new driver "just works" and oculus games will run without the oculus driver running, but I have yet to see any truth in that. - Windows does detect the oculus as a 3d display (interestingly)

I'm running windows 10 10049, dk2, AMD r7 290.
  • jvarujvaru Posts: 1
    Can some one please confirm is Oculus runtime version 0.5.1 is supported for windows 10 ?
  • sjblake83sjblake83 Posts: 26
    jvaru wrote:
    Can some one please confirm is Oculus runtime version 0.5.1 is supported for windows 10 ?

I got an error message saying that the software isn't supported on the current computer configuration whenever I tried to install 0.5.1 on Windows 10, build 10049. The previous runtime version works perfectly at least.
  • mattnewportmattnewport Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    jvaru wrote:
    I get the "Oculus display driver is not supported on this configuration and will not be installed" error when trying to install 0.5.1 on Windows 10 build 10049.
  • v_lee02v_lee02 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have used Oculus on windows 10 before with bootcamp on my imac but I am building a rig just for VR and am having the same problem Windows 10 Build 9926

This Sucks lol Any help plz
  • v_lee02 wrote:
    I have used Oculus on windows 10 before with bootcamp on my imac but I am building a rig just for VR and am having the same problem Windows 10 Build 9926

This Sucks lol Any help plz

I remember getting the same error. I think all I had to do was set the installer to Windows 8 compatibility for it to install and work.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've had zero issues with 5.0.1 and windows 10 works great. Tried a unity 5 demo last night (ConVRge) and it was fab.. Compatibility mode was not required for install.

one thing i will say is that it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT work with the wddm 2.0 bundled drivers with windows 10. Use the latest beta from nvidia and AMD.

also this is windows 10tp 10049.
  • TurbolegoTurbolego Posts: 78
    Brain Burst
    Lhun wrote:
    I've had zero issues with 5.0.1 and windows 10 works great. Tried a unity 5 demo last night (ConVRge) and it was fab.. Compatibility mode was not required for install.

one thing i will say is that it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT work with the wddm 2.0 bundled drivers with windows 10. Use the latest beta from nvidia and AMD.

also this is windows 10tp 10049.

Do i have to do anything special in order to get rid of wddm 2.0?

Or just install the latest driver from nvidia's webpage?

I'm on the latest build of win10, and oculus runtime will only install with win8 compatibility mode, but i get nothing from the rift, only a yellow light, no blue light. :?
  • pittsburghjoepittsburghjoe Posts: 514
    Art3mis
    Oculus acknowledges win 10 exists! http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ep/cqbhmmy
    i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi Everyone!

I can confirm windows 10 is WORKING (but not supported), but ONLY in Windows Display Driver Model 1.3 (which is windows 8.1). I know a TON about this and have been using my rift on windows 10 since I got it.

If you want your rift dk2 to work, you need to download the latest windows 8.1 x64 STABLE or in some cases BETA drivers from nvidia and AMD.

I have both cards and can confirm that 350+ dirivers for geforce and the new 15.3 "Grand theft auto" drivers from AMD both work with the rift.

uninstall the Oculus runtime, install the new driver as administrator. Run the Oculus Runtime as administrator. it WILL install the display drivers and both direct to rift and extended mode will work.

Make sure your rift is plugged into a direct mode port, and if you have a monitor plugged in too, DO NOT plug it into the DVI port NEXT TO your HDMI port. They share resources on your card and will be slower. Use the port on the second slot (BELOW) or use displayport as it is dedicated. Check your video card manufacturer for details.
    Hiro Protagonist

;-)
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I tried to follow the steps above

1. I uninstalled the oculus runtime.
    2. I installed NVIDIA drivers as admin (350.12-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe)
    3. Installed Oculus runtime as admin (0.5.0.1 beta)

no luck, still getting a dialog stating,

"The Oculus Display Driver is not supported on this configuration, and will not be installed."
    Hiro Protagonist
    tmek wrote:

2. I installed NVIDIA drivers as admin (350.12-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe)

"The Oculus Display Driver is not supported on this configuration, and will not be installed."

Right click the oculus runtime and set it to run in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode.
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    Lhun wrote:
    tmek wrote:

Right click the oculus runtime and set it to run in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode.

That did the trick, thanks Lhun! :)