cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
"Markystal" wrote:
Could really use an "IT'S HAPPENING" gif right about now. :lol:

😄
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!

Wmacky
Protege
"It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be."

Huh? Their making this all about gaming? What about the life changing promise of VR from the 90's? I 'm not looking for a gaming add on!

Wheres the big picture?

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Wmacky" wrote:

Wheres the big picture?

Patience. They just announced CV1 with promise of much more to come. I imagine we'll start seeing way more than just games, but give them a little time.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
Sweet! Looks nice! 2016 though? If Vive comes out by Christmas and has similar specs, you guys are going to lose massive amounts of sales. I will probably buy both, so you don't have to worry about losing my sale 🙂

It's not about specs really, it's about the quality of the experience. And Oculus has been working very hard full time for quite a while on making the Oculus experience seamless, as realistic and free from VR-sickness as possible. Valve was of course doing the same for a bit, but they were doing it as a side project from a small team (most of whom eventually left Valve).

The two devices could have the exact same specs, and I'd still bank on Oculus being a far better VR experience.

panmaster
Expert Protege
The belevie in VR as a consumers near future fucked up my budget and waisted so much my time-true stroy

scottycam
Honored Guest
I think input will be what sets which HMD above the other, their specs wont be too different since not many computers could run a HMD with specs much higher then vive anyway.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
"Dreamwriter" wrote:
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
Sweet! Looks nice! 2016 though? If Vive comes out by Christmas and has similar specs, you guys are going to lose massive amounts of sales. I will probably buy both, so you don't have to worry about losing my sale 🙂

It's not about specs really, it's about the quality of the experience. And Oculus has been working very hard full time for quite a while on making the Oculus experience seamless, as realistic and free from VR-sickness as possible. Valve was of course doing the same for a bit, but they were doing it as a side project from a small team (most of whom eventually left Valve).

The two devices could have the exact same specs, and I'd still bank on Oculus being a far better VR experience.

Content is king though, and if Valve beats them to the punch with similar specs and way more content, they will lose massive amounts of sales.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
"scottycam" wrote:
The second image, you guys think that is a button or a slider to adjust IPD or something else? I have been hoping the CV1 has a mechanical/physical IPD adjustment, my IPD is way to large to enjoy the DK2 properly. Fingers crossed that it is...

Looks like a slider 🙂
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
Content is king though, and if Valve beats them to the punch with similar specs and way more content, they will lose massive amounts of sales.

In VR, content is not king. Not puking while using it is king 🙂 Feeling like you are actually in another location is queen.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
"Dreamwriter" wrote:
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:

I don't see this being a problem. UE4 and Unity will support both so many games will be ready for both out of the box. Only exclusive games will be a tiny problem when it comes to content.