cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

OnyXVR
Honored Guest
Can't wait! Just hope there's some big-time story-based VR games that showcase what it can do. Obviously the EVE VR game will probably be cool, but I want a full on story-based game, like a Resident Evil or slow-paced game where you actually FEEL like you're a part of that world. Doesn't have to be a horror game, but something that's an intense experience to really WOW people with this thing.

Now I need to build or buy the sickest PC out there, or the top of the line gaming laptop. 😄

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
"Dreamwriter" wrote:
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
Content is king though, and if Valve beats them to the punch with similar specs and way more content, they will lose massive amounts of sales.

In VR, content is not king. Not puking while using it is king 🙂 Feeling like you are actually in another location is queen.

Um, yeah it is. If one headset works with 10 games, and the other works with 100 and they have similar specs. No brainer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not rooting for Valve over Oculus as I will probably purchase both. But if Valve can get their stuff out the door with decent content by Christmas and a bunch of VR gaming enthusiasts buy it, they will be less likely to shell out another $300 plus dollars for something that does the same thing, even if it is slightly better.

I will have my popcorn out regardless, because it is win win for me. We will finally get consumer grade VR.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Anonymous
Not applicable
"saviornt" wrote:
This is.. random. I would have expected a launch announcement at one of the conferences (e3). There goes my prediction for a Nov 2015 launch ><

Congrats guys!

I think it shows they are rushing to market as fast as they can go.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
Don't get me wrong, I am not rooting for Valve over Oculus as I will probably purchase both. But if Valve can get their stuff out the door with decent content by Christmas and a bunch of VR gaming enthusiasts buy it, they will be less likely to shell out another $300 plus dollars for something that does the same thing, even if it is slightly better.

I will have my popcorn out regardless, because it is win win for me. We will finally get consumer grade VR.

They wont.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
"zork2001" wrote:

They wont.

We will see. They just got a nice kick in the pants from Oculus hahaha!
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

vrcover
Explorer
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:

Valve just doesnt have a great history of shipping in time. I wouldnt be surprised if they also release Q1 2016.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the best News all year round and how come this thread hasn't grown to like 29 pages already is beyond me!

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
"Dreamwriter" wrote:
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
Content is king though, and if Valve beats them to the punch with similar specs and way more content, they will lose massive amounts of sales.

In VR, content is not king. Not puking while using it is king 🙂 Feeling like you are actually in another location is queen.

Um, yeah it is. If one headset works with 10 games, and the other works with 100 and they have similar specs. No brainer.

One headset works with 10 games and makes you feel like you are really there in another place, and the other works with 100 games, looks a bit fake and you feel like puking after 10 minutes of playing any game. No brainer there...

zork2001
Heroic Explorer

It would be a rushed hack job that is hardly better than the DK2 except more expensive without the community support and content.

Sorry but just based on Oculus history they will always be the strong pillar in the center of the building that supports real VR progression the right way. Everyone else is just hanging on that trying to extend out.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Dreamwriter" wrote:

One headset works with 10 games and makes you feel like you are really there in another place, and the other works with 100 games, looks a bit fake and you feel like puking after 10 minutes of playing any game. No brainer there...

:?:

Which is which?