Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Reddit Thread: reddit.com/.../star_trek_voyager_elite_force_for_oculus_rift/
Progress Updates: martincaine.com/tags/elite_force

I've been working on adding Oculus support in to my own engine which was pretty straight forward. Unfortunately I don't think my game Positron is well suited to the Rift however my helicopter game Critical Strike and racing game Shadow Racers both are. I'll be releasing demos of those later in the summer when the games are a little more fleshed out.

In the mean-time I've been looking in to learning Unity to knock together some small OR demos but to be honest I don't have the time to be learning Unity right now (I'm a professional game developer by day working with C++/Java/Obj-C and OpenGL/DirectX).

Seeing some of these older games getting support for the Rift got me thinking about some of my own favourite games. Many years ago one of the first games I ever played online was Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. Those who played it online knew there was a strong following for the game and a very dedicated pool of players who enlisted in clans (or fleets) and we played matches regularly for many years.

The game's source code was released a long time ago (but only the VM which ran the Star Trek specific stuff on top of Quake 3), but there's also a version someone put together to work with ioQuake3. Using these two open source codebases I should have everything I need to start putting in stereoscopic rendering and then hook in the Oculus SDK. I've downloaded the source already and over the next few days will be building it and making sure it all still compiles in VS2010 (since the projects originally would've been using VC6).

I've started this thread to keep everyone updated with my progress. I would love to see this game in the Rift and there are thousands of community made maps for the game, some with whole ships to explore. I think this is going to be a relatively easy thing to get working and look forward to sharing it with everyone :). It's very early days for this modification but I really want to see this in the Rift and I hope it'll appeal to others too even if you've not played the game before.

If anyone is not familiar with the game, here are a few screenshots (this game was released in 2000 using a modified Quake 3 engine):

23 REPLIES 23

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I'm impressed by this. It should be good.
I'm more interested in single player though.

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Small update on this. I've now got round to getting it all compiling and even rendering side by side views was pretty easy. Need to hook in the Oculus SDK for proper stereoscopic separation and head tracking but it's well on the way now (had very little time to work on this).

I'll be looking for some beta testers in the coming weeks, please let me know if you have the game as you'll need it (and the expansion) to be able to play Elite Force Rift.

MannyLectro
Explorer
Please pick me ! Please pick me ! I'm both a huge rift fan and voyager fan !!!
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

veritas
Honored Guest
Hey there,

I run a large ST: EF roleplaying community using the RPG-X mod, called The Last Outpost. We distribute a free (legal) version of EF and the mod called RPGXCE, which you can find here, and we have a big and active community of players who would probably adore Rift support for the mod!

Personally I don't have a rift, but if this becomes a viable thing I might have to seriously consider getting one. We would be happy to help you out in any way we can!

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
"veritas" wrote:
I run a large ST: EF roleplaying community using the RPG-X mod, called The Last Outpost. We distribute a free (legal) version of EF and the mod called RPGXCE, which you can find here, and we have a big and active community of players who would probably adore Rift support for the mod!

Personally I don't have a rift, but if this becomes a viable thing I might have to seriously consider getting one. We would be happy to help you out in any way we can!

Good to hear the RPG community is still playing. Have to admit I never really got in to RPG maps since I was a long time clan player in DM/CTF ;-). Seems this ioCow you're using as your base executable is based on a slightly more up to date source port than what I've been using too, I'll take a look at that!

veritas
Honored Guest
We have an even more up-to-date version in the rpgxEF engine, which we're currently using in a closed beta. I sent you a PM about that, take a look and I'll be happy to get you set up with it. It's significantly more advanced than ioCow.

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
I cannot wait till this is finished as I love the series 😄

Rosenklotz
Honored Guest
oh this is sooo great, I love Star Trek and I loved the game back then...is it really 13 years old? Can`t believe :lol: This will be so f*cking great, thank you

Umran
Honored Guest
Wow what a great game to pick for a O.R conversion(one of the best ST games?), best of luck and will be reading this thread for updates 😄

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Thanks guys. Just to give you a short update, I've had very little time to work on the conversion having had a busy time with work (released Superfrog HD on PS3 and Vita this week and also an enhanced version of Burn Zombie Burn on NVIDIA Shield).

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be trying to find more time to work on this and also adding OR head tracking in to my own games Positron, Shadow Racers, and Critical Strike!