cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"Snappahead" wrote:

Why would they pull DK2? CB is an upgrade, but doesn't add anything critical to game development.

Are you kidding?

With that mentality why go to a DK2 after all we had DK1

Because there was no positional tracking, an integral part of VR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"Snappahead" wrote:

Why would they pull DK2? CB is an upgrade, but doesn't add anything critical to game development.

Are you kidding?

With that mentality why go to a DK2 after all we had DK1

Because there was no positional tracking, an integral part of VR.

But not 360 head tracking and better ergonomics and higher resolution with less SDE....

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Tim74UK" wrote:

But not 360 head tracking and better ergonomics and higher resolution with less SDE....

You don't need those things to develop. This isn't hard to understand, but you're making it really complicated.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

You don't need those things to develop. This isn't hard to understand, but you're making it really complicated.

If you want to develop using old hardware thats up to you... the rest of us however want the latest... wherever that's at.

snappahead
Expert Protege
Agreed, Malkmus. Believe me Tim, I understand wanting these things in your hands. I also count the days until we get great VR, but you're only looking at this from your own personal perspective and what you personally want and not from what makes sense for Oculus from a business perspective.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Wasn't expecting this today. Seems like an E3 announcement would have made more sense, but I guess they didn't want this news to get washed away amid all of the other E3 announcements. Now it's known that Oculus is going to be at E3 in a big way. Still, not a lot of hopeful news, no specs and a release after the Vive. They can't be happy about being second to the market, but I guess that means they're making improvements that won't be ready until then. As big as this announcement is, it's hard to get too excited without specs.

Anyway, congrats Team Oculus, I'm sure you'll wow us when you'r eable to actually talk about the Rift. I guess it's just going to be called the Rift then? That makes sense.

SuperDre
Honored Guest
uhoh....... Sorry, but if that's all the designteam could come up with then please sack them all... This is really by far one of the ugliest designs I've seen for a VR headset..
I mean, comeon, extra plastic and padding doesn't add that much to the costs of the unit itself..
I would suggest to look at the headset from 'the void' or HELL even the old forte VFX-1..

I know that due to the design this consumer version has dropped from top of my list to a few steps below, so unless the tech inside is better than it's competition at the time of release (and availability) it won't end up in my collection..
This is so disappointing to see what the end result is going to be after so many years and so much money invested in the product.. I would have not expected this kind of design to be the finished design... :cry:
DK2 CPU: i7 4770K Mem: 16GB GPU: GTX760 2GB OS: Windows 8.1 pro x64 Controllers: Wireless xbox360 controller, Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, Logitec Momo steeringwheel, LeapMotion

drash
Heroic Explorer
Congrats to Oculus! I was barely awake this morning when I read the kickstarter update about this, and then 5 seconds later fully awake. 🙂

"SuperDre" wrote:
extra plastic and padding

It's the VR experience inside that truly counts. High quality headsets are likely a form-follows-function thing at this point (first gen consumer release), because getting the weight down while still keeping it robust and comfortable is far more important, and the last thing I'd want is to see extra plastic. I wouldn't worry too much, as I was already quite impressed with how good it felt wearing CB prototype -- it was light and comfortable at the same time.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

SuperDre
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:

"SuperDre" wrote:
extra plastic and padding

It's the VR experience inside that truly counts.

A good fitting headset is what makes the VR experience, and the Ski-goggles type of headset aren't good fitting headsets, yes they are fine for testing purposes, but for actually playing they are not.. take a look at the ones from 'the void' (just google it) and you'll see much better headsets..
It really shouldn't add that much to the price of the unit, but it will add so much more to the comfort and experience..
DK2 CPU: i7 4770K Mem: 16GB GPU: GTX760 2GB OS: Windows 8.1 pro x64 Controllers: Wireless xbox360 controller, Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, Logitec Momo steeringwheel, LeapMotion

jb0yz
Honored Guest
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

If you want to develop using old hardware thats up to you... the rest of us however want the latest... wherever that's at.

Do you write applications with your OR? I understand what he's saying very clearly, it's pretty obvious you do not.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... air+Expert

developer kit intended for developers