New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• prowlprowl Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Great work!

How about a replay button at the end instead of just exit.
  • KiWiKaKiKiWiKaKi Posts: 12
    Hi drash, id like to know what is the future of this demo. Do you plan to expand it even further like seeing galaxies and the universe as whole etc.?
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    KiWiKaKi wrote:
    Hi drash, id like to know what is the future of this demo. Do you plan to expand it even further like seeing galaxies and the universe as whole etc.?

Good question, I ask myself this a lot too haha. I plan to add more functionality and polish to it without disturbing the essence of what's there now. There are also a ton of spinoff ideas I'm eager to work on at some point. I have a slew of big and small requests to choose from, but of course it all takes time to do and I am currently out of town for a while so it'll be some time before I can seriously work on new stuff.

If anyone else is working on a space-themed virtuality, I can't wait to see it! :)
  • 3DByte3DByte Posts: 69
    Hi drash, I found this site very entertaining:
    http://htwins.net/scale2/index.html
    Maybe there are some ideas to implement for Titans of Space? ;)
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    3DByte wrote:
    Hi drash, I found this site very entertaining:
    http://htwins.net/scale2/index.html
    Maybe there are some ideas to implement for Titans of Space? ;)

I second this. If you wanted to make something as a sequel to Titans of Space, this would be it :)
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
    You know what would be awesome? If you or perhaps someone else made a similar virtual tour but go backwards, going smaller and smaller and smaller from microorganisms to the smallest particles in physics etc. with comparisons in sizes like you did for space
  • ReTReT Posts: 191
    KiWiKaKi wrote:
    You know what would be awesome? If you or perhaps someone else made a similar virtual tour but go backwards, going smaller and smaller and smaller from microorganisms to the smallest particles in physics etc. with comparisons in sizes like you did for space

^^ This :o Although I assume it would have to scale 'you' (the user) down in order to be able to actually SEE such microorganisms - I like the idea though.
    This is what I had in mind, but titans of space style

http://scaleofuniverse.com/
  • wombleferretwombleferret Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey drash,

Awesome implementation of VR, this is always the first demo I give to people when try the Rift for the first time.

I have a quick question though, is there anyway to reset the game back to the start of the tour at any point during the demo, rather than quitting out and starting again?

We have our school Summer Fair next weekend, and I am running a 'Space Tours' stall so kids and adults can get a taste of the Rift, and will be using TOS as the demo. Since I need to limit each turn to around 3 mins, I can see a lot of quitting and restarting/re-calibrating, unless you can tell me of a reset shortcut?

Thanks and keep up the great work!
    Neo
    That scale-of-the-universe stuff looks really cool and definitely would be quite amazing to "be there" through all those scale changes. The closest thing I can think of that already exists (though it had nothing to do with space or atoms) would be the boxplorer reflectoid fractal stuff. If anyone hasn't tried that yet, you should!
    I have a quick question though, is there anyway to reset the game back to the start of the tour at any point during the demo, rather than quitting out and starting again?

We have our school Summer Fair next weekend, and I am running a 'Space Tours' stall so kids and adults can get a taste of the Rift, and will be using TOS as the demo. Since I need to limit each turn to around 3 mins, I can see a lot of quitting and restarting/re-calibrating, unless you can tell me of a reset shortcut?

I'm happy to hear you would show this at a school function like that! I'm working on a minor update right now, and I'll be sure to include this reset-to-beginning feature in it, and release it probably midweek.

If anyone else has requests to increase usability/demo-ability, please let me know!
  • wombleferretwombleferret Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Great! Thanks very much for doing that, much appreciated!
  • DannySwishDannySwish Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Before going on, I'd like to say that I love you.

*Ahem*, anyway...

I have a MacBook Pro retina, and am unable to select higher resolutions (it caps out at 1440x900) even though my screen is capable of 2880x1800. Do you think you could add a tweak that would enable these higher resolutions for us rMBP'ers? The Blue Marble demo is the only Unity demo I've seen that is able to utilize the higher resolutions. I'd really appreciate it! And thanks again, I squealed like a schoolgirl when I found this demo. I love space (as made obvious by my avatar and sig :D )
    s6n5lt.jpg
    Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980
    Neo
    DannySwish wrote:
    I have a MacBook Pro retina, and am unable to select higher resolutions (it caps out at 1440x900) even though my screen is capable of 2880x1800. Do you think you could add a tweak that would enable these higher resolutions for us rMBP'ers? The Blue Marble demo is the only Unity demo I've seen that is able to utilize the higher resolutions.

That's kind of odd! I actually don't have much control over the resolutions shown in that drop-down except I restricted it to only show 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios that are supported by your system. Is it possible the Rift and/or your retina display aren't your "primary" monitor? Or, maybe your particular OS reports giant retina resolutions as half of what actually is (1440x900 is half of 2880x1800) to some apps and then all pixels are doubled up? I guess if Blue Marble is working in the same situation then it's something in Titans that I've got to tweak.

I'll ty to figure out a solution but I don't have a retina Mac to work with. If you do figure this out, let me know.

EDIT: If you do a Get Info on the app, is there an "Open in Low Resolution" option? If it's checked, uncheck that and give that a try?
  • nvstewartnvstewart Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    drash wrote:
    That scale-of-the-universe stuff looks really cool and definitely would be quite amazing to "be there" through all those scale changes. The closest thing I can think of that already exists (though it had nothing to do with space or atoms) would be the boxplorer reflectoid fractal stuff. If anyone hasn't tried that yet, you should!

I'm happy to hear you would show this at a school function like that! I'm working on a minor update right now, and I'll be sure to include this reset-to-beginning feature in it, and release it probably midweek.

If anyone else has requests to increase usability/demo-ability, please let me know!

I do have one request. And that would be to have the option to go from start to finish without the facts and no interruptions (no pauses etc) I think that would be a great option to have.
  • Thanks for this. I took the tour as one of my first Rift apps and it is quite impressive. Being able to look around makes it that much sweeter. And then, super-giant stars. I think I'll start people off in Tuscany for the down-to-Earth-ness, then into Titans for the super-solar-ness :D
  • MangaCorpsMangaCorps Posts: 125
    Thanks for this project, you should add like nebula's, comets, astriods, and pretty much each type of environment by themselves just like this. I would pay top dollar for a educational sim such as this can very much become. Thanks so much.
    {}\/{}anga
  • DannySwishDannySwish Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2013
    drash wrote:
    If you do a Get Info on the app, is there an "Open in Low Resolution" option? If it's checked, uncheck that and give that a try?

All that did was make the initial settings page all pixelated. (Edit: I read what you said wrong, I had it originally unchecked.) The way the Retina display works is the DPI is scaled to resemble 1440x900. If I use an app to change the desktop to actually be 2880x1800 with no DPI scaling or anything, it adds the resolution options I'm looking for (1680x1050 all the way to 2880x1800). Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least there must be a way!

I managed to find this with a Google search, maybe it can help somehow: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/385988/mac-full-screen-how-to-detect-retina-display.html
    s6n5lt.jpg
    Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980
  • piepie22piepie22 Posts: 8
    Just want to say Thanks.
    Best project I have seen, and it was excellent on the Rift.
  • McGibs30McGibs30 Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    this is absolutely stunning, the sense of scale is terrifying!
  • danalogdanalog Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Huge thanks you! This was the first experience I tried on the Rift. What a ride. Will demo to others.
  • sbnewsomsbnewsom Posts: 258
    Thanks for the exciting tour that drastically got depressing after 60% in. lol
    -Stuart Bradley Newsom

HS-51XXXXX Mar 21, 2014 01:09 AM PDT
    DELIVERED

Portfolio: http://sbnewsom.com
    Facebook: Click Here
  • MysticetiMysticeti Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Drash, I'm not sure if you're looking for more ideas for the Titan's demo but something like this...

http://www.visualnews.com/2013/06/28/how-would-planets-look-if-they-replaced-the-moon/

...would probably look amazing in the Rift.
    Neo
    Mysticeti wrote:
    Drash, I'm not sure if you're looking for more ideas for the Titan's demo but something like this...

http://www.visualnews.com/2013/06/28/how-would-planets-look-if-they-replaced-the-moon/

...would probably look amazing in the Rift.

I'm always looking for new ideas, thanks for this link. :) I can already tell those pictures won't do "the real thing" justice!
  • edulinaresedulinares Posts: 275
    Holy fucking shit, this is a surreal experience. Congratulations drash. If there was an award for best VR experience, you would definitely earn it. This is astonishing. I was literally terrifed at the end, shaky hands and everything :o
  • CaptnYesterdayCaptnYesterday Posts: 87
    Brain Burst
    Hey Drash. That was awesome. That scale was so much fun and LOVED the virtual body. A totally new thing. Thank you.

I must have missed that you were the one that made this. I started it up and then saw your name. I thought, "Hey, I kida sorta know that guy by proxy from the forums...AWESOME!" Really great work.

The informative text at each point felt like I was having to focus on something too close. Anyone else find that? It is hard to explain, but I felt that from most demos. It is probably my eyes or the way I have my rift setup.

Anyway, congrats! This is the demo I will use first for all my friends and colleagues. Another 20-30 people (small numbers for you at this point, but cant say enough about this demo).
    Neo
    Update v1.34 has been released -- this is a minor update mostly aimed at requests to make Titans of Space more usable in a variety of situations:

Changelog for v1.33 -> v1.34:
    1. Feature: To restart the tour at any time, hit the R key.
    2. Feature: Instead of random stars in the night sky, actual stars are now used. How many constellations can you pick out?
    3. Feature: Added a "Nonstop Mode", where the distracting controls and facts panel in front of you will disappear and there will be no delay at each tour stop. The player will still stop briefly at each destination, but continue on to the next immediately. This is toggled on/off using the N key.
    4. Feature: Either Hydra controller may now be used for positional body tracking. Just hit the Start button on the one you want to use.
    5. Feature: Updated to use SDK 0.2.3. This means more robust drift calibration and automatic usage of your IPD if you have configured an Oculus profile. Note: The profile that has "set as default" checked is the one that will be used.
    6. Feature: To toggle showing the tour guide facts panel on and off, use the T key (or gamepad right shoulder / hydra button 3 or 4). This could be useful if you wanted to test yourself on the information like peeking at flash cards.
    7. Feature: There are now two Oculus Rift quality levels, "Slow PC" and "Fast PC". Both will give you the exact same experience, but Slow PC will start off with no eye candy enabled and work its way up, and Fast PC will start with all eye candy enabled and work its way down. This eliminates much of the slowdown right when a tour starts for the first time on a slower computer.
    8. Feature: 4x MSAA anti-aliasing can now be toggled using the A key. The screen will blank temporarily when you toggle this. 4x MSAA results in a serious hit to performance for not a lot of benefit (IMO), but the option is there if you want it.
    9. Feature: To sort-of-quickly fly to the next tour stop, use the TAB key. Use Shift-TAB to do the old 1-second quick-fly feature available in previous versions.
    10. Vsync seems to feel great for me now, not sure why! But, it will still be off by default so that appropriate quality level can be determined. Feel free to experiment with vsync after the frame rate stabilizes in the beginning.
    11. A small number of translation file changes have been made. If you use anything other than English, please be prepared for some minor inaccuracies until the changes are (re-)translated. More info in Setup Notes above.
    12. Bugfix: Turning off demo mode during the return trip to Earth would screw things up afterwards.
    13. Bugfix: Turning on demo mode right after starting the tour did nothing.
    14. Other minor adjustments and bugfixes.

I have really appreciated all the feedback and comments I've gotten so far! Thank you!
  • MarbasMarbas Posts: 109
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wow drash! Congratulations! This is an amazing space vr app. I love the the star comparison. Killer vr app for sure.
    Any plans to add galaxy visualization? (sorry if this has already been asked)
    Neo
    Marbas wrote:
    Wow drash! Congratulations! This is an amazing space vr app. I love the the star comparison. Killer vr app for sure.
    Any plans to add galaxy visualization? (sorry if this has already been asked)

Thanks Marbas. I do plan to add visualizations for a bunch of other stuff (in an "Episode 2"), but I don't have any timeframe on it quite yet. :)
  • ReTReT Posts: 191
    Wow! I don't even have my Rift yet but those latest updates are making me droll with envy! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to test out the positional tracking with my Hydra so long :D
  • erickerick Posts: 125
    Brain Burst
    drash, I just wanted to also convey my gratitude for such an amazing demo. Both my wife and I loved it. The theme of demonstrating scale is perfectly suited for VR.

Your demo definitely highlights the educational possibilities of VR. I must admit, I'm jealous when I think about the next generation of education.

I also wanted to encourage any interest you might have in expanding this project. I would certainly pay for an educational virtual exploration of space that contains a few different tours. I imagine others would as well.

Perhaps a good business model would be to use a modular, framework design and provide a free download with one sample tour. Then, sell additional tour modules as micro-transaction style DLC.

Also, some suggestions and ideas:

During the sequence where you show the orbital distance, it would be cool to include a demonstration of relative orbit speed.

It would also be cool to zoom out enough to see Sedna's crazy orbit.

It might be interesting to include photos or images on the tour. Either using the display on the control panel or as "holographic projections".

Instead of a static, linear tour, perhaps you could include a couple of branching paths/nodes. For example, approaching a planet might allow you to choose between tours to learn more about the atmosphere, more about the surface, or you could simply move on to the next astrological body. Choosing to learn about the surface might put you on the surface and allow you to branch again to learn more about the topology or more about the internal structure (where you might be able to view the planet sliced in half), or, again, you can simply move on to the next object.