cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

SuperDre
Honored Guest
"Tim74UK" wrote:
And I agree £1 is not $1 and the prices should reflect the actual value not the same numerical value.

Well you shouldn't forget the dollar price is without VAT, and the pound price is including VAT, also you have to take into account for the shipping costs and importduties (the device is not made in the UK or shipped from)..
It's still not the same if you factor in all these extra costs, but it comes very close..
DK2 CPU: i7 4770K Mem: 16GB GPU: GTX760 2GB OS: Windows 8.1 pro x64 Controllers: Wireless xbox360 controller, Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, Logitec Momo steeringwheel, LeapMotion

Anonymous
Not applicable
"SuperDre" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:
And I agree £1 is not $1 and the prices should reflect the actual value not the same numerical value.

Well you shouldn't forget the dollar price is without VAT, and the pound price is including VAT, also you have to take into account for the shipping costs and importduties (the device is not made in the UK or shipped from)..
It's still not the same if you factor in all these extra costs, but it comes very close..

Nice try but Oculus has a UK warehouse... and £350 dollar is currently £223.52... are you saying you pay an additional £126.48 in tax on $350??

Nope I didn't think so....

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"SuperDre" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

Nice try but Oculus has a UK warehouse... and £350 dollar is currently £223.52... are you saying you pay an additional £126.48 in tax on $350??

Nope I didn't think so....

Are you saying that 56.6% vat is too much? 8-)

pedrw
Expert Protege
"Ruudscorner" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

Are you saying that 56.6% vat is too much? 8-)

Yes, very expensive!
In DK2, I paid nearly 500 euros, including taxes...

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

Simply put... VR for console will be Vr Lite....

Then what does that make the Gear VR?

Gear VR is even lighter than Console.... why is it such a shock or question??

Don't see how that's a shocking question. I'm simply curious to know how you would categorize all three experiences, because personally when I tell friends about Gear VR it's usually along the lines of it being "Vr Lite". It doesn't have positional tracking and the graphics are very simplistic, and no sort of tracking input. The PS4 has positional tracking, much better graphics (the kind console gamers are used to), and it has motion tracking input. Therefore I would actually say that the PS4 has a very high chance of being what the majority of the general public will view as "Standard VR" because so many households game on consoles. The high end PC gamers who put 2 to 3 grand into a PC to play Oculus and Vive games will potentially just be regarded as "High end VR" and be even more niche. So, in summary, I expect to see:

1. Lite VR- Gear VR, cardboard, etc.
2. Standard VR- Morpheus, whatever Xbox and Nintendo come out with. It's what moms and dads, your sister or brother, or friends at work will see as VR.
3. High end VR - Oculus and Vive

"Tim74UK" wrote:
And there are of course those who are VR enthusiasts who will go out and spend £2000 right of the bat.... But enthusiasts are limited....

I think that raises an interesting question though. What is a VR enthusiast? Is it really a niche thing? Because, while I consider myself an enthusiast, I only say that because right now VR isn't mainstream. I'm not someone who followed VR for decades. I simply tried a DK1 once at a friend's house and was sold. Now I've been hotly anticipating VR ever since then. So I'm curious how many others like me, who aren't PC gamers, who haven't followed VR forever, will simply try VR once it's commercially available and just be sold.

"Tim74UK" wrote:

So if you are a console gamer... sorry you will have to put up with a cut down experience.... Either get used to it or upgrade...

I would be more inclined to agree with you if the majority of Morpheus hands-on reviews so far weren't so shockingly positive.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I do not doubt that a console is going to have to make some compromises to eye candy..... but that being said, with its stable, consistent hardware and generally more efficient OS consoles punch above their weight compared to a PC.

furthermore consoles may lack a bit of grunt.... but they are WAY more powerful than a mobile phone and yet people seem to be having fun out of the many mobile platforms out there.

So yes, on 1 hand I agree, PC will be the place to be for the top end VR, but I disagree that there will not be some really cool experiences on the console VR as well................

also, I have to hand it to sony. their morpheus to me looks to beat the rift hands down when it comes to a novel head mounting system.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
I do not doubt that a console is going to have to make some compromises to eye candy..... but that being said, with its stable, consistent hardware and generally more efficient OS consoles punch above their weight compared to a PC.

furthermore consoles may lack a bit of grunt.... but they are WAY more powerful than a mobile phone and yet people seem to be having fun out of the many mobile platforms out there.

So yes, on 1 hand I agree, PC will be the place to be for the top end VR, but I disagree that there will not be some really cool experiences on the console VR as well................

also, I have to hand it to sony. their morpheus to me looks to beat the rift hands down when it comes to a novel head mounting system.

I agree on all points bigmike, and the only thing I'll add is that, as someone who plans on getting all three platforms, my wallet is going to be hurting! But this is such a great problem to have and one that had I been asked 4 years ago about it I never would have thought possible. I plan on having my VR cave for Oculus/vive (already got the guest bedroom cleared out), the living room for Morpheus, and the bedroom for Gear VR.

pedrw
Expert Protege
I plan to buy Gear vr to consumers, to entertain me until the arrival of Rift. Gear vr is a good option to carry and use anywhere, while the Rift can only be used with the PC. So the ideal is to have both options. What about Vive ... only buy if it is better than the Rift, even if it is more expensive

Zandil
Rising Star
"gypsy816" wrote:

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

– The Oculus Team

It's next week 😉

scottycam
Honored Guest
"Zandil" wrote:
"gypsy816" wrote:

– The Oculus Team

It's next week 😉

I know, I keep checking every half hour or so but they still have 2 days before it is the end of "next week". Looking at the posting times of all their blog posts I think we still got like 12 hours (give or take a few hours) before the next chance of the specs post.