cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

joe
Explorer
We just shipped a beta for Half-Life 2 that includes Oculus Rift support. To get it, open the properties for HL2 in Steam by right-clicking on the name of the game in your library. Set your command line to "-vr", and opt-in to the SteamPipe beta. This should ship to everybody in a few weeks.

Edited to add:
*** NOTE! The Steam Pipe beta shipped in summer of 2013. You don't need to opt into that beta anymore. ***

This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped, so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find. Just like in TF2 this mode is experimental, so we really want to hear what you think.

A few known issues:

• If you clone your desktop monitor to the Rift it won't work very well. You can work around this by picking full screen in the video options.

All of the convars are the same as they were in TF2 with two additions:
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward - Moves the viewmodel back so the elbows are harder to see and it feels more attached to your body.
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward_large - Same as vr_viewmodel_offset_forward, but for the Gravity Gun.

I find these convars to be useful in the game itself, so consider setting them:
hud_quickinfo 1
hud_fastswitch 2

Edited to add this:

The calibrator isn't up and running in HL2, but you can use the one in TF2 to generate the appropriate values. You should definitely do this to avoid eye strain and make the whole experience more pleasant.

• Run TF2 and calibrate using vr_calibration.

• Look at the vr_separation_user_inches convar and remember what it is set to

• Run HL2 and set that convar to the same value.

• Set vr_separation_toein_pixels to 0 in HL2

You should launch TF2 and run vr_calibration. See what vr_separation_user_inches is set to and set the same
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

donkaradiablo
Explorer
here

You need to enable cheats with sv_cheats 1 for these to work:

1. god would give you invulnerability. buddha lets you get hurt, your health will go down, but you won't die, so that's immortality I guess. They both should work fine for what you are asking for.

2. notarget should be useful. The enemy AI would be blind to you, so you can just check them up close too, while you are walking around. I don't know if there are instances where killing an enemy triggers an event that is supposed to let you move on to the next part and using notarget gets you stuck there. If that happens to be the case, you could use npc_kill, which kills all NPCs apparently.

3. You can bind a key to a command, like npc_create npc_pigeon is supposed to spawn a pigeon, so once you enter bind P npc_create npc_pigeon on your console, or in your config file like your autoexec.cfg or your config.cfg located in your Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2 Update\hl2\cfg folder, you should be able to just hit that P key to spawn pigeons... So the format is bind keyname command, or bind "keyname" command, like bind "P" npc_create npc_pigeon. Pigeon is just an example, the rest of the list is there.
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

f2hunter
Honored Guest
Hi, Is there a updated guid on how to get this running at its best possible state?. I did try this on my DK2 when support first come out but wasn't happy so left the mod to build.

richhard1
Protege
Since the recent graphical update, the game no longer works with VR, anyone know how to get it running again please?
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

donkaradiablo
Explorer
It still works for me.

Do this one time:

Have the primary monitor set at 75hz, and I have the following lines in your autoexec.cfg (located in SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2 Update\hl2\cfg)

vr_translation_limit 100
fps_max 76
bind v vr_reset_home_pos
bind "Z" vr_cycle_aim_move_mode

The first two lines are important to avoid judder and have a wider tracking volume than the default. The other two lines will let you use Z to cycle between aim modes, V to reset head position.

To start the game in VR, do this every time:
1. Switch to extended more on Oculus,
2. Switch to Virtual Reality Mode on Steam
3. Just start HL2 Update in VR.

"danknugz" wrote:
can anyone link to a list of all the console commands or at least cheats (god mode, remove enemies, etc)

I still have yet to reinstall steamVR and HL2 VR but back last fall when I was using it, the enemies definitely got in the way. Kind of just want to be able to walk around and look at stuff. Is that possible?

I tried the "notarget" cheat myself. This causes some problems. Sometimes the AI simply has to be able to see you for a scripted event to happen so that the game moves on to the next phase.

To get around this problem, I did the following:

1. Added this line to my autoexec.cfg located in SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2 Update\hl2\cfg:
bind "K" "exec cheat"

2. Created a cheat.cfg file in the same folder and added these lines there:
sv_cheats 1
god
notarget
impulse 101

This way, whenever I press K during the game, the AI stops seeing me, I'm invincible and given all weapons. If the game gets stuck because it needs the AI to see me to move on, for some scripted event to happen, I press K again, turn those cheats off, let the game unroll and press K again whenever I want.

It's fun to walk around undetected, watch soldiers fight antlions 🙂
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

spacehamburger
Honored Guest
"donkaradiablo" wrote:
It still works for me.

Do this one time:

Have the primary monitor set at 75hz, and I have the following lines in your autoexec.cfg (located in SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2 Update\hl2\cfg)

vr_translation_limit 100
fps_max 76
bind v vr_reset_home_pos
bind "Z" vr_cycle_aim_move_mode

The first two lines are important to avoid judder and have a wider tracking volume than the default. The other two lines will let you use Z to cycle between aim modes, V to reset head position.

To start the game in VR, do this every time:
1. Switch to extended more on Oculus,
2. Switch to Virtual Reality Mode on Steam
3. Just start HL2 Update in VR.

"danknugz" wrote:
can anyone link to a list of all the console commands or at least cheats (god mode, remove enemies, etc)

I still have yet to reinstall steamVR and HL2 VR but back last fall when I was using it, the enemies definitely got in the way. Kind of just want to be able to walk around and look at stuff. Is that possible?

I tried the "notarget" cheat myself. This causes some problems. Sometimes the AI simply has to be able to see you for a scripted event to happen so that the game moves on to the next phase.

To get around this problem, I did the following:

1. Added this line to my autoexec.cfg located in SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2 Update\hl2\cfg:
bind "K" "exec cheat"

2. Created a cheat.cfg file in the same folder and added these lines there:
sv_cheats 1
god
notarget
impulse 101

This way, whenever I press K during the game, the AI stops seeing me, I'm invincible and given all weapons. If the game gets stuck because it needs the AI to see me to move on, for some scripted event to happen, I press K again, turn those cheats off, let the game unroll and press K again whenever I want.

It's fun to walk around undetected, watch soldiers fight antlions 🙂

Game is unplayable for me, way to much judder. I know I can run this game in VR, I have a very powerful computer. Also, I don't have "Half-Life 2 Update" folder. I only have "SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\". Yes, I updated and running the beta client. I tried launching the game from SteamVR. I tried launching the game from the VR menu wihtin the game client, won't work. Game definitely start but the judder is unbearable. I do have an "hl2\cfg\" folder. I tried to create the autoexe.cfg in there but it doesn't work. There's is no folder called "Half-Life 2 Update".

I even disconnected both monitor and only kept the Rift as main, managed to launch the game. Nupe, still heavy heavy judder and lag.

I feels like I'm playing at 60 FPS, seems like , no matter what I do, the game just refuse to run at 75mhz or 75 FPS.

donkaradiablo
Explorer
The folder Half Life 2 Update is for a HL2 mod that is named Half Life 2 Update. I think you are using the original Half Life 2, which also has VR support and is less taxing on the GPU, so it should work.

Maybe adding -freq 75 to your launch options would help. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

bob123
Honored Guest
Hi guys !

Im a bit confused now.. would like to get half life 2 running on my dk2 but with razer hydra support.

What should i do first? Allow beta updates in steam for half life or download half life VR mod first? (Were can i download latest version?)

Tnx

LordJuanlo
Protege
You have to install the Half-Life VR mod to get Hydra support.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

Gheist
Honored Guest
Hey guys,

after a few hours, I managed to see HL2 on the Oculus. I created an autoconfig and added some launch options.
To get it startet I have to set the DK2 as my main monitor. The SteamVR is not shown stereoskopic on the Rift but I can manage to start HL2 (beta of course), which is then stereoskopic. Once ingame, I can not move my head. I looked on reddit and read all the pages in this thread but I cannot activate headtracking. I switched between the different aim options and also tried replugging the USB, and all vr_ orders in the ingame console.

Please, can anyone help me? I'd love to play HL2 again in VR.

warrenspencer19
Honored Guest
"ryanyth" wrote:
Can anyone help me here?
I've set up my SteamVR and Half-Life exactly as listed in this page:
http://www.roadtovr.com/how-to-enable-o ... lity-mode/

When i run HL2, i can see the words but no images, just a black screen.
Starting the game also show only black screen but i can hear G-man with subtitles.

I understand the solution to this would be to set my Rift as primary monitor and
when i do that, HL2 together with words and images does show up, but...they're
completely misaligned. I can close 1 eye and see it clearly, but even then the position
is completely off. Its sort of like watching a video while Cross-Eyed.

Oh yea i've also tried running HL2 via the VR Steam menu but problem persists.
In fact, for some reason, currently Steam VR doesn't show the words or menu anymore,
i just hear the water sound and the blue water background. It used to work before.

I have absolutely no problems running Quake2VR, Duke3DVR, Euro Truck Sim 2, Minecrift
and various other VR demos.

Anyone also facing the same issue as me?

I've followed the same steps, and I"ve got the same problem. I'm using DirectX 9+ according to what the steam client is telling me. Anyone got a solution for this?

Thanks!