cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

Innisfree
Honored Guest
I absolutely love this program and use it constantly. Normally it works perfectly but I have this weird problem that crops up from time to time. Basically the performance, for no apparent reason, will fall apart. What it looks like is as I look around the virtual screen in front of me will start to jump around almost as if its trying to move with me. It is not frame rate judder as the frame rate never drops below 75. It does this both with full screen turned off and on. This happened once before and the problem just went away randomly. Now its back and driving me insane! The program is completely unsuable this way. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

SputnikKaputtni
Explorer
Hey guygodin,

I know you are working on the SDK 0.6.0 version for virtual desktop. Could you give us a little status update? Do you see performance benefits compared to the older versions? Does the redesign give you a lot of headaches or is it smooth sailing, but just a lot of work?
i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit

guygodin
Protege
"vrmt" wrote:
Hello, thanks for this application I'm using it and it works well.
I'd like to add another feature which is updating automatically the orientation (without pressing F9) according to the head movement, this enables the user to turn his head freely and still see the desktop in front of his current view

You don't want to do this, trust me. It will make you wanna barf 😛

"Innisfree" wrote:
I absolutely love this program and use it constantly. Normally it works perfectly but I have this weird problem that crops up from time to time. Basically the performance, for no apparent reason, will fall apart. What it looks like is as I look around the virtual screen in front of me will start to jump around almost as if its trying to move with me. It is not frame rate judder as the frame rate never drops below 75. It does this both with full screen turned off and on. This happened once before and the problem just went away randomly. Now its back and driving me insane! The program is completely unsuable this way. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

What OS are you on? This can occur when launching a game or an app (particularly Unity games) but it should go back to normal once the game exits.

"SputnikKaputtnik" wrote:
Hey guygodin,

I know you are working on the SDK 0.6.0 version for virtual desktop. Could you give us a little status update? Do you see performance benefits compared to the older versions? Does the redesign give you a lot of headaches or is it smooth sailing, but just a lot of work?

I haven't had access to a computer since 0.6 was released so IDK how long it will take yet 😛 Direct mode will work but I'll have to refactor a bunch of things because of the compositor so don't expect a new version anytime soon.

Innisfree
Honored Guest
Using windows 8.1. Not running any games. I have tried reinstalling both the program itself as well as the oculus runtime. The problem persists.

guygodin
Protege
"Innisfree" wrote:
Using windows 8.1. Not running any games. I have tried reinstalling both the program itself as well as the oculus runtime. The problem persists.

It's most likely an issue with another program running. Another issue similar to this was caused when the integrated graphics on the motherboard was enabled, maybe that could be it. Sorry for not being able to help more. Those issues are rare and hard to troubleshoot 😞

Innisfree
Honored Guest
I fixed it! I went into the nvidia control panel and I had applied some some custom color settings awhile ago for elite dangerous. At first it didn't cause and problems so I didn't think to check it but when I switched the setting back to "other applications control color settings" the problem completely went away. I am back in business! Thank you so much for your attempts at helping me out. Again, this is by far my favorite application for the rift and can't wait to see it with the CV1!

vrmt
Honored Guest
Hi

I'd like to project via your application the following live view of these cameras but some of them are not projecting with your application (do you have any other idea how can I project it):
I'm using windows 7 64bit OS, Nvidia georce GTX 660, Intel I7-3770.

1. when connecting kinect xbox 360 the massage is shown: "install directX runtime" (although I already have it installed) and afterward displaying blank views of RGB and depth windows.

2. canon 600d is working via the EOS utility (great!).

3. webcam lifecam 3000 microsoft is not working, showing blank window.

Please any advise of how can I project them in other way? ...

vrmt
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
"vrmt" wrote:
Hello, thanks for this application I'm using it and it works well.
I'd like to add another feature which is updating automatically the orientation (without pressing F9) according to the head movement, this enables the user to turn his head freely and still see the desktop in front of his current view

You don't want to do this, trust me. It will make you wanna barf 😛

Thanks for the reply, actually it's very important for my system, actualy I'm developer c++ is my major, just introduce me to the location of the code and I'll make the changes, hopefully.

peeppalts
Honored Guest
Hi!

Is it possible to have many terminals open, like it is in Bloomberg trading terminal?
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/bloo ... ulus-rift/

With thanks,
Peep Palts

peeppalts
Honored Guest
"peeppalts" wrote:

Is it possible to have many terminals open, like it is in Bloomberg trading terminal?
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/bloo ... ulus-rift/

Is it right, when I want to have 9 virtual monitors, I need the GPU with 9 outputs?

Rgrds,
PP.