New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The $1500 device

whalan84whalan84 Posts: 119
Art3mis
edited May 2015 in General
So who is in charge of PR? All I see at the moment is a sh** storm of articles with very bold titles relating to the expensive Oculus Rift device, some with some very fine print regarding PC costs etc... And a lot of unhappy people who can't believe a $300 device became $1500.

Is this just something Oculus allowed the media to use for the sake of hysteria or is this the illuminati getting their payback for the eye logo?

Comments

• nightauditor1981nightauditor1981 Posts: 302
    Nexus 6
    I just saw the news and was laughing my ass off. I can imagine the faces of all the oculus fanboy out there how told me how the vive would be MUCH too expensive at 800 or 900 bucks :lol:

Love it. I personally am happy to pay for quality, so I don´t really mind.

We went from the wholy VR grail with at least 1440p and all that for 500 bucks, to crescent bay as cv1 for 1500. Now isn´t that nice.

So, like I said MONTH ago, all the involved companies don´t really vary that much in terms of hardware (as the bottleneck is cpu/gpu power) or cost as it seems right now. Which means that the battle will be won on the content side.
    And this is the part we have heard almost nothing about.

What are your bets regarding killer content? I have a hard time believing that oculus can pull off more than valve can in this area.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    Is this really a thing? We were given their recommended pc specs. $1500 for a powerful gaming PC and a state of the art VR system seems pretty reasonable and very much expected. What were those who are surprised expecting?
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    This came to mind immediately after reading this thread:
    http://gawker.com/npr-pulled-a-brillian ... 1557745710
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    whalan84 wrote:
    So who is in charge of PR? All I see at the moment is a sh** storm of articles with very bold titles relating to the expensive Oculus Rift device, some with some very fine print regarding PC costs etc... And a lot of unhappy people who can't believe a $300 device became $1500.

Is this just something Oculus allowed the media to use for the sake of hysteria or is this the illuminati getting their payback for the eye logo?
    Um...the Rift isn't $1,500. Are you seriously that naive? I mean...really?
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    I just saw the news and was laughing my ass off. I can imagine the faces of all the oculus fanboy out there how told me how the vive would be MUCH too expensive at 800 or 900 bucks :lol:

We went from the wholy VR grail with at least 1440p and all that for 500 bucks, to crescent bay as cv1 for 1500. Now isn´t that nice.

So, like I said MONTH ago, all the involved companies don´t really vary that much in terms of hardware (as the bottleneck is cpu/gpu power) or cost as it seems right now. Which means that the battle will be won on the content side.

What are your bets regarding killer content? I have a hard time believing that oculus can pull off more than valve can in this area.
    Like my last post: Are you seriously that dense? Take a breath.....and READ. Jesus Christ...
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    whalan84 wrote:

The "fine print" comment makes me think that he might be aware that it includes the PC cost, and that the thread just refers to uninformed people's reactions towards the flashy headlines.
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    This thread is why my lack of faith in humanity is justified.
    “We are looking at an all-in price, if you have to go out and actually need to buy a new computer and you’re going to buy the Rift … at most you should be in that $1,500 range,” Iribe said on stage.

Let's gleam from this, shall we? At today's prices of course.

Intel Core i7: $300
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150: $200
    Crucial 2GB RAM (x4): $120
    500GB HDD: $50
    NVidia GTX 980: $560
    Rosewill PSU, 750W: $100
    Some Case: $100

So, overall total on that is $1430. soo.. CV1 will be about $100? :o
  • whalan84whalan84 Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    Walky wrote:
    whalan84 wrote:

The "fine print" comment makes me think that he might be aware that it includes the PC cost, and that the thread just refers to uninformed people's reactions towards the flashy headlines.

Exactly!! I know about the PC cost... I'm just unsure how good a move it was on Oculus' behalf to promote it like this because the bloggers are having a field day with the clickbait!

Another example, you read the first half of this article... http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/134036- ... ogle-glass you have stopped half way through thinking all the important parts are read and it hasn't even mentioned a PC yet.

This thread is a good example of some confusion it's causing.
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 976
    3Jane
    edited May 2015
    saviornt wrote:
    “We are looking at an all-in price, if you have to go out and actually need to buy a new computer and you’re going to buy the Rift … at most you should be in that $1,500 range,” Iribe said on stage.

They did say GTX 970 was a base card which can be purchased for around $340ish so put another $200 onto rift cost and your looking at a Rift price of around $300ish

300 is well within what was the expected price point Oculus were aiming for.
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    Was it the 970? I thought it was the 980 :\ Meh, oh well. Sounds a bit more of a reasonable price :lol:
  • whalan84whalan84 Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    saviornt wrote:
    Was it the 970? I thought it was the 980 :\ Meh, oh well. Sounds a bit more of a reasonable price :lol:

Yes also i5 4590 not an i7.

I literally built a PC on Saturday with very similar specs to what Oculus is recommending

i5 - 4590
    GTX 980
    8 GB RAM

Cost me just over $1700 AUD... all parts were from a brick and mortar business so a little dearer than internet. But anyway, I would be interested to know the price of a standalone Rift. This all in price just seems strange to me.
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 976
    3Jane
    Your working off AUD and Australian parts pricing, The $1500.00 is based on USD and their parts pricing which is cheaper then us in Australia.

Using saviornt's Parts pricing and dropping to a GTX 970 and a I5, Rift is looking around 300-350 bucks.
  • TannhaeuserTannhaeuser Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Again the communication failed. Simple as that. OC should deliver the price for the HMD to the press now or too many people are losing interest (because of idiocy).
  • Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,369
    Nexus 6
    O.k. there is clearly some serious lack of undersatnding here.

Oculus rift will NOT cost £1300!!

Oculus Rift is likely to cost you around £350. Oculus rift is a peripheral for a PC... and yes if you do not own a PC you will have to buy one...

Stating it will cost you £1300 is like saying if you buy this monitor is will cost you £1300 to use it cause you will have to buy a PC...

Totally Ridicules....

Anyone who feigns surprise that you need a PC to use Oculus rift should be taken out the back and shot!
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • edgewiseedgewise Posts: 193
    Useless thread.
    We knew since DK2 that the PC requirement could only go up but not down for the commercial release of oculus. As you need a 1000$ and up PC to use the DK2 nobody a minimum interested on the subject would have put the price of the whole rig under 1500$.
  • AshlesAshles Posts: 515
    Art3mis
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Stating it will cost you £1300 is like saying if you buy this monitor is will cost you £1300 to use it cause you will have to buy a PC...

Agreed - it's like saying Project Morpheus headsets will cost £1500, because you'll need to buy a PS4, Move controllers, a large flat screen HD TV...
    "Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."
  • RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,115
    Trinity
    Even people who understand it INCLUDES THE COST OF THE PC, are still getting it wrong on many forums :shock:

Let me give you a direct quote of one of such, translated by me to a language you can understand ;) :
    DK2, if I'm not mistaken, was $350. If they want to sell CV1 for $499 now, then it means Palmer and FB were lying about the low price of the Rift. In fact they have to plan to sell it overpriced because no competitor will sell it for lower price.

What the quoted guy misses, is the controller.
    1500 minus PC minus controller = CV1.

And as I am certain since 2014 - CV1 will be cheap. Too cheap for the good of VR, PC, PC VR and whole gaming. I'd say even 200-250$ (plus taxes and of course higher price for us, living in Europe :/ ).
    But I can bet all I have that it won't exceed 399$.
    My guess:
    70% - 300-350$
    20% - 250$
    9% - 400$
    1% - 200$

for just the CV1. Controller won't be bundled, not to every CV1 sold, that is, because there will be a CV1+controller SKU for sure.

All in all - the thing I read from this news is that CV1 and controller will be cheap. Very cheap :( and that means the controller will be closer to Move/Kinect quality rather than anything really low latency and high precission. In other words - core gamers won't get what they want :(
    I expect something great for social VR, casual games, but awful for serious gaming. Normal quality of steering for core gamers will require that the person who buys the rift, already has a flight stick or a steering wheel. Only those controllers will give gamers the "non-casual quality' of steering.
    And as always - I hope to be wrong. About the controller - I'm just guessing, so it's perfectly possible I will be pleasantly surprised. Although... I don't think the chances are much bigger than winning the lottery.
    Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
  • schmeltzerschmeltzer Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    I think it's an honest statement by Oculus. It's also pretty stupid from a marketing point of view.
  • DaedalEVEDaedalEVE Posts: 8
    When I first saw this thread I said to myself: "Wait, what!? They are pricing the Commercial Version of the Rift at $1500!?!?". Then I googled "oculus rift price" and quickly found THIS ARTICLE which completely dispels this $1500 HMD myth.
    Personally it sounds like the OP needs to consult with THEIR PR department. Perhaps do a little more fact checking before "issuing statements", no?

All drama aside, $1500 for the HMD + a purpose built system to run it sounds VERY well priced. A bit TOO well priced in my opinion, which tells me that corners are being cut on the hardware. I can tell you right now that the HMD and System will use more cheaply made components compared to what is available on the market. For instance, boards manufactured by Foxconn or something (who is notorious for making mainstream electronics with low-end capacitors and such, and has poor QC). However there is a reason this needs to be done: It's the only way to keep everything at the lower price point plus still make a profit. That's just how the business works unfortunately.

Vive is due out in Q4 this year you know, and as such you can likely expect an official announcement on it's street price some time this summer or fall, as well as pre-orders to open up. Since the Rift is not due out until at least Q1 2016 I'm willing to bet they'll wait to see what the Vive is priced at before they put an official price on the Rift... In order to undercut the competition while still staying competitive.
    See, Valve has some money to work with, plus they have HTC backing them. Also I'll be honest, I think as things stand right this moment the Vive appears to have the better hardware (sorry Oculus, I own a DK2, but I call it how I see it). However that hardware is going to cost. It'll definitely be more than the Rift Dev Kits. In fact that's part of the reason why they are not selling Vive Dev Kits and are only distributing them to select developers. They don't want to tip their hat as to the cost of the hardware they are using. Their optical/laser based tracking is similar to "Art Track 5", and I can tell you right now... that's not cheap stuff.
    Oculus could, if they decide to (with the help of Facebook financial support), totally eat the cost of the Rift and deliver the HMD to market AT COST, completely blowing Valve/HTC and Vive out of the water, despite releasing after the Vive AND after the holiday season.

I believe the true threat to the Rift and possibly the Vive as well may be the OSVR, if only for the fact that it is open source, and because of such it gives people like myself, who think they can do it better, the opportunity to do so.
    For instance, while Oculus is wasting time on a single screen at 1920x1080 (@90° FoV) using HDMI, they should have already developed an HMD with 2x screens at 1920x1080+ (@130° FoV) using DisplayPort 1.2 or Thunderbolt 2.0.
    Or how about working on a wireless link? They exist. Seisics makes one for their headsets (HMD's that cost $16k-$100k), but it's $2000. If Oculus could develop something that does the same thing but costs less, you have a product.
    The point is keep an eye on the competition, and don't exist in a vacuum.
    Nexus 6
    schmeltzer wrote:
    I think it's an honest statement by Oculus. It's also pretty stupid from a marketing point of view.

I think it shows that they are attempting to educate a non technical non pc gamer market to the costs of VR.

you see I don't think the populace at large even know what a graphics card is let along which is powerful enough to run VR etc...

What the market needs is an off the shelf product that is a VR Machine... Something akin to the Steam Machine.... but Steam is barking up the wrong tree with their pricing point, because non tech savvy people won't understand why the price is high so won't see it is good value for money.

Oculus needs to in the first generation of the Consumer Rift, focus on those that know what it is and how to use it. Get enough of them out there and then focus on educating the market.
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • SpinheadSpinhead Posts: 6
    saviornt wrote:

I think you will need some keyboard, mouse and dvd reader at least.
    Anyway those are actual prices.
    We could assume they will be cheaper next year.
    Anyway I wasn't interested in computer's price, I will just have to upgrade my video card, so I also still didn't understand how much the device will cost.
    Nexus 6
    Spinhead wrote:
    saviornt wrote:

I think you will need some keyboard, mouse and dvd reader at least.
    Anyway those are actual prices.
    We could assume they will be cheaper next year.
    Anyway I wasn't interested in computer's price, I will just have to upgrade my video card, so I also still didn't understand how much the device will cost.

Recommended specs are not as high as the one above.

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
    Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
    8GB+ RAM

I could build the pc above for £800
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,227 Valuable Player
    Is this forum going to descend into "...how cheap can I build a PC for!" We know some of you are unhappy at the new high price, and want to try and get back to that lower price point suggested... but do you want to ruin the VR experience just in order to hit a price point promised back in 2012?

I am amazed by the PC building skills of many gathered on this and other forums - but until we have a base mark, and "actual" hardware, this is so much fruitless and confusing speculation!

I look-forward to Q1/Q2 2016 when we can see the base mark software running on CV1 [who ever defines that software], confirm that OVR's proposed basic specs are accurate, and undertake the comparison on what the reality is of the needed "PC" [and I mean the whole PC (software subscription) and not just the case!!]

We will have the issue in 2016 of the first TESTED comparison review (Rift CV1 v. HTC ViVE), from that we will have the Silicon Foundry reviews and comparison reports, etc., - these will be the levelers and then we will be able to claim what the real "...I can build a PC for..." is... not now!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Nexus 6
    kevinw729 wrote:
    Is this forum going to descend into "...how cheap can I build a PC for!"

Of course it isn't... It is however a very astute concern given that you can extrapolate the pricing point of the Rift CV1 as around £300 to £350 based upon the cost of the recommended spec.

Do you see?
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    edited May 2015
    Maybe Oculus should buy Google Cardboard, slap a "Rift Jr." label on it, and toss it on the market. Surely that will satisfy the uber-frugal demographic. :roll:

Am I the only one who uses my PC for things other than the Rift? If you use your PC for other things, it's silly to include the entire price of a new PC into the cost of a Rift. By this logic, my car stereo cost me $28,000 because I need a vehicle to operate it.

Edit: Maybe we should add the cost of a PC desk and seat while we're at it.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • Malkmus1979Malkmus1979 Posts: 763
    Brain Burst
    Eh, only two more weeks of this sort of garbage until they announce the price anyway and then we can start having normal conversations about total cost.
    Brain Burst

Why is it the loony ones never stick around to have an actual conversation?
  • jngdwejngdwe Posts: 566
    Art3mis
    All of the journalists raging about the $1500 Rift price are morons who can't read, and have no business writing articles.

Clearly the Rift price has not changed much, if at all, since the initial estimates. It might be raised due to controller cost, but probably not by a huge amount. The PC cost is also not that bad, in fact I can easily build the recommended rig for under $1000.

The rift will likely be under $400, while the rest of the cost is from having to build or purchase a PC capable of handling the device. That is not at all unfair, and people should quit being moronic about it. If you already buy gaming machines, or own one, this is hardly an expense.
    Brain Burst
    jngdwe wrote:
    All of the journalists raging about the $1500 Rift price are morons who can't read, and have no business writing articles.

Clearly the Rift price has not changed much, if at all, since the initial estimates. It might be raised due to controller cost, but probably not by a huge amount. The PC cost is also not that bad, in fact I can easily build the recommended rig for under $1000.

The rift will likely be under $400, while the rest of the cost is from having to build or purchase a PC capable of handling the device. That is not at all unfair, and people should quit being moronic about it. If you already buy gaming machines, or own one, this is hardly an expense.

The journalists are doing fine, IMO. I just googled "Oculus Rift Price" and all the headlines are sensible. The morons are people who lack reading comprehension and running with it to use as flame bait, which honestly, there aren't that many of. Like I said before, this nonsense will only last until they announce the price, hopefully in a couple weeks.
    Nexus 6
    VizionVR wrote:

Edit: Maybe we should add the cost of a PC desk and seat while we're at it.

:lol:

I was about to say chair but it's now not just a seated experience anymore :lol: