cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The $1500 device

whalan84
Protege
So who is in charge of PR? All I see at the moment is a sh** storm of articles with very bold titles relating to the expensive Oculus Rift device, some with some very fine print regarding PC costs etc... And a lot of unhappy people who can't believe a $300 device became $1500.

Is this just something Oculus allowed the media to use for the sake of hysteria or is this the illuminati getting their payback for the eye logo?
45 REPLIES 45

saviornt
Protege
Was it the 970? I thought it was the 980 😕 Meh, oh well. Sounds a bit more of a reasonable price :lol:
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

whalan84
Protege
"saviornt" wrote:
Was it the 970? I thought it was the 980 😕 Meh, oh well. Sounds a bit more of a reasonable price :lol:

Yes also i5 4590 not an i7.

I literally built a PC on Saturday with very similar specs to what Oculus is recommending

i5 - 4590
GTX 980
8 GB RAM

Cost me just over $1700 AUD... all parts were from a brick and mortar business so a little dearer than internet. But anyway, I would be interested to know the price of a standalone Rift. This all in price just seems strange to me.

Zandil
Rising Star
Your working off AUD and Australian parts pricing, The $1500.00 is based on USD and their parts pricing which is cheaper then us in Australia.

Using saviornt's Parts pricing and dropping to a GTX 970 and a I5, Rift is looking around 300-350 bucks.

Tannhaeuser
Honored Guest
Again the communication failed. Simple as that. OC should deliver the price for the HMD to the press now or too many people are losing interest (because of idiocy).

Anonymous
Not applicable
O.k. there is clearly some serious lack of undersatnding here.

Oculus rift will NOT cost £1300!!

Oculus Rift is likely to cost you around £350. Oculus rift is a peripheral for a PC... and yes if you do not own a PC you will have to buy one...

Stating it will cost you £1300 is like saying if you buy this monitor is will cost you £1300 to use it cause you will have to buy a PC...

Totally Ridicules....

Anyone who feigns surprise that you need a PC to use Oculus rift should be taken out the back and shot!

edgewise
Honored Guest
Useless thread.
We knew since DK2 that the PC requirement could only go up but not down for the commercial release of oculus. As you need a 1000$ and up PC to use the DK2 nobody a minimum interested on the subject would have put the price of the whole rig under 1500$.

Ashles
Protege
"Tim74UK" wrote:
Stating it will cost you £1300 is like saying if you buy this monitor is will cost you £1300 to use it cause you will have to buy a PC...

Agreed - it's like saying Project Morpheus headsets will cost £1500, because you'll need to buy a PS4, Move controllers, a large flat screen HD TV...
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
Even people who understand it INCLUDES THE COST OF THE PC, are still getting it wrong on many forums :shock:

Let me give you a direct quote of one of such, translated by me to a language you can understand 😉 :

DK2, if I'm not mistaken, was $350. If they want to sell CV1 for $499 now, then it means Palmer and FB were lying about the low price of the Rift. In fact they have to plan to sell it overpriced because no competitor will sell it for lower price.

What the quoted guy misses, is the controller.
1500 minus PC minus controller = CV1.

And as I am certain since 2014 - CV1 will be cheap. Too cheap for the good of VR, PC, PC VR and whole gaming. I'd say even 200-250$ (plus taxes and of course higher price for us, living in Europe 😕 ).
But I can bet all I have that it won't exceed 399$.
My guess:
70% - 300-350$
20% - 250$
9% - 400$
1% - 200$

for just the CV1. Controller won't be bundled, not to every CV1 sold, that is, because there will be a CV1+controller SKU for sure.

All in all - the thing I read from this news is that CV1 and controller will be cheap. Very cheap 😞 and that means the controller will be closer to Move/Kinect quality rather than anything really low latency and high precission. In other words - core gamers won't get what they want 😞
I expect something great for social VR, casual games, but awful for serious gaming. Normal quality of steering for core gamers will require that the person who buys the rift, already has a flight stick or a steering wheel. Only those controllers will give gamers the "non-casual quality' of steering.
And as always - I hope to be wrong. About the controller - I'm just guessing, so it's perfectly possible I will be pleasantly surprised. Although... I don't think the chances are much bigger than winning the lottery.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

schmeltzer
Protege
I think it's an honest statement by Oculus. It's also pretty stupid from a marketing point of view.

DaedalEVE
Honored Guest
When I first saw this thread I said to myself: "Wait, what!? They are pricing the Commercial Version of the Rift at $1500!?!?". Then I googled "oculus rift price" and quickly found THIS ARTICLE which completely dispels this $1500 HMD myth.
Personally it sounds like the OP needs to consult with THEIR PR department. Perhaps do a little more fact checking before "issuing statements", no?

All drama aside, $1500 for the HMD + a purpose built system to run it sounds VERY well priced. A bit TOO well priced in my opinion, which tells me that corners are being cut on the hardware. I can tell you right now that the HMD and System will use more cheaply made components compared to what is available on the market. For instance, boards manufactured by Foxconn or something (who is notorious for making mainstream electronics with low-end capacitors and such, and has poor QC). However there is a reason this needs to be done: It's the only way to keep everything at the lower price point plus still make a profit. That's just how the business works unfortunately.

Vive is due out in Q4 this year you know, and as such you can likely expect an official announcement on it's street price some time this summer or fall, as well as pre-orders to open up. Since the Rift is not due out until at least Q1 2016 I'm willing to bet they'll wait to see what the Vive is priced at before they put an official price on the Rift... In order to undercut the competition while still staying competitive.
See, Valve has some money to work with, plus they have HTC backing them. Also I'll be honest, I think as things stand right this moment the Vive appears to have the better hardware (sorry Oculus, I own a DK2, but I call it how I see it). However that hardware is going to cost. It'll definitely be more than the Rift Dev Kits. In fact that's part of the reason why they are not selling Vive Dev Kits and are only distributing them to select developers. They don't want to tip their hat as to the cost of the hardware they are using. Their optical/laser based tracking is similar to "Art Track 5", and I can tell you right now... that's not cheap stuff.
Oculus could, if they decide to (with the help of Facebook financial support), totally eat the cost of the Rift and deliver the HMD to market AT COST, completely blowing Valve/HTC and Vive out of the water, despite releasing after the Vive AND after the holiday season.

I believe the true threat to the Rift and possibly the Vive as well may be the OSVR, if only for the fact that it is open source, and because of such it gives people like myself, who think they can do it better, the opportunity to do so.
For instance, while Oculus is wasting time on a single screen at 1920x1080 (@90° FoV) using HDMI, they should have already developed an HMD with 2x screens at 1920x1080+ (@130° FoV) using DisplayPort 1.2 or Thunderbolt 2.0.
Or how about working on a wireless link? They exist. Seisics makes one for their headsets (HMD's that cost $16k-$100k), but it's $2000. If Oculus could develop something that does the same thing but costs less, you have a product.
The point is keep an eye on the competition, and don't exist in a vacuum.