cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Alric
Explorer
Yup, I strongly believe after the initial confusion of some websites stating the vive resolution at the wrong orientation that actually the vive and cv1 will use identical screens. It's now down to ergonomics, drivers, sound, input, content, lenses & price.

willste
Explorer
Well this is not surprising at all. HTC sources its displays mostly from Samsung. Though I hear they are trying to shift to alternatives since Samsung is a direct competitor. So whatever screen Oculus gained rights to for CV1, HTC probably was able to get through its long standing partnership. So yeah it is probably literally the same screen.

Kind of funny really, but not surprising. Sony makes its own screens so their solution will be different.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
any news about the price and when the preorders will start?

Alric
Explorer
Not yet, I imagine the next solid news will be the conference a couple of days before E3 or at E3. Not long to wait.

addseo1115
Honored Guest
Glad to see the great information here.
U am new member. Thanks for posting.

RiftXdev
Explorer
Waiting with a handful of cash to throw at a preorder button

Hopefully it's a hidden little orange dot instead of a 'Order now' button, like DK2 had, I love an easter egg hunt!

Maybe they should make you find keys and open gates to get to a pre order button.
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

addseo1115
Honored Guest
Equipment for gaming, i want this. :oops: :oops: :oops:

everygamer
Explorer
The big question is 1080p or 4K (2K)? My GTX 980 wants to know!

drash
Heroic Explorer
"everygamer" wrote:
The big question is 1080p or 4K (2K)? My GTX 980 wants to know!

This was already announced a while back: Dual 1080x1200 screens (same as Vive).
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Ocuron
Honored Guest
I wonder how strong the sense of presence will be. Will it make you forget you are wearing a mask or will it feel like you are swimming everywhere (because of the mask)?