cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

joe
Explorer
We just shipped a beta for Half-Life 2 that includes Oculus Rift support. To get it, open the properties for HL2 in Steam by right-clicking on the name of the game in your library. Set your command line to "-vr", and opt-in to the SteamPipe beta. This should ship to everybody in a few weeks.

Edited to add:
*** NOTE! The Steam Pipe beta shipped in summer of 2013. You don't need to opt into that beta anymore. ***

This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped, so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find. Just like in TF2 this mode is experimental, so we really want to hear what you think.

A few known issues:

• If you clone your desktop monitor to the Rift it won't work very well. You can work around this by picking full screen in the video options.

All of the convars are the same as they were in TF2 with two additions:
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward - Moves the viewmodel back so the elbows are harder to see and it feels more attached to your body.
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward_large - Same as vr_viewmodel_offset_forward, but for the Gravity Gun.

I find these convars to be useful in the game itself, so consider setting them:
hud_quickinfo 1
hud_fastswitch 2

Edited to add this:

The calibrator isn't up and running in HL2, but you can use the one in TF2 to generate the appropriate values. You should definitely do this to avoid eye strain and make the whole experience more pleasant.

• Run TF2 and calibrate using vr_calibration.

• Look at the vr_separation_user_inches convar and remember what it is set to

• Run HL2 and set that convar to the same value.

• Set vr_separation_toein_pixels to 0 in HL2

You should launch TF2 and run vr_calibration. See what vr_separation_user_inches is set to and set the same
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

donkaradiablo
Explorer
I don't know what sdk version, gfx card driver version, steamVR version and hl2 version work together anymore. Not even attempting to get this running again until the next sdk update.
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

KyleOculi
Honored Guest
I'm able to run HL2 in VR mode successfully on Mac (10.9.5) with my DK2; however, I am unable to initiate head tracking. Each time the game loads, I receive an error that vrserver is unresponsive. I have tried creating a mac user admin with less than 5 characters but this hasn't worked. Tracking works just fine with the OculusConfigUtility demo. Below is a very brief error report.

Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - VR server (v1433987865) starting up with config=/var/dmladmin/Library/Application Support/Steam/config
Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - Load Config from /var/dmladmin/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/steamvr.cfg
Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - Active HMD set to oculus.20883Y05GQAN
Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - oculus: [From Service] Lost 4 IMU samples: 6004 2 6

Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - Error on Release(): Not the lock owner: /MTX/VR_dmladmin_c8f0638
Fri Jun 12 03:42:15 2015 UTC - Error on Release(): Not the lock owner: /MTX/VR_dmladmin_c8f0638 (this repeats several hundred times, followed by the next line below)

Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Socket closed
Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Unable to read message from socket
Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Lost IPC connection
Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - VR server shutting down
Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Listener thread ending

Any ideas what "Not the lock owner" might be referencing?

jasonbaz77
Honored Guest
Any idea what the Hell happened? This worked for me since the beginning then it stopped working completely. I've tried re-installing everything etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable
HL2 vr and/or steamVR got updated. The setup is now a little different. Add -vr to the launch options, start the game in 2d, then Activate Virtual Reality in the HL menu, it then appears in the rift, in 3D. Or use the developer console in HL (enable it in options, press tilde, type activate vr, enter.

Or start it in 3D from steamVR, if that still works.

Lots of motion blur/smearing in game, wasn't there previously.

Lurch666
Honored Guest
Still doesn't work for me.I can put it into vr mode and activate virtual reality but on the rift I just get the menu-nothing in the background.If I start a game I can see my health and ammo but nothing else and there's no headtracking.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I keep expecting an update to drop that fixes the annoying judder in HL2. Where is a fix? This has been a problem for almost the entire time that the DK2 has been out.

rlabelle
Protege
Here is a quick video I made of my 6 year old niece making an instructional video of HL2VR Mod 1.4 with Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra. It is hilarious and really showcases the amazing VR experience that this mod brings.

Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28

Kangelos
Protege
I get a lot of judder in hl2.
I have the game on steam, no mods or anything.
I get 200+ fps ingame and i cannot find a way to
play without judder.
Tried almost everything (i guess) in command live.
Even if i lock the fps to 76 (75) i get judder.
Vsync not working.
Using a phenom 2 1100t , 4gb ram and an r9 280x.
Any help?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"kangelos" wrote:
I get a lot of judder in hl2.
I have the game on steam, no mods or anything.
I get 200+ fps ingame and i cannot find a way to
play without judder.
Tried almost everything (i guess) in command live.
Even if i lock the fps to 76 (75) i get judder.
Vsync not working.
Using a phenom 2 1100t , 4gb ram and an r9 280x.
Any help?

This problem is very common in HL2 with the DK2, and has existed for quite a while. I doubt Valve has any plans to fix it soon.

Kangelos
Protege
Thanks!
At least i will give it a rest for now...
Hopefully they fix it and add support for the latest runtime.