New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Extended Interview with Brendan Iribe

2»

Comments

• snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    Roaster wrote:
    The touch is just a glorified xbox controller in the end, so what the creator does with the buttons is all that changes. Any game that supports the standard controller should work also with the touch. Question is who supplies the hands.
    It just makes me wonder why the delay. They can't be that hard to make compared to the headset.
    I think it's because they took a long time to come up with a solution they were happy with. They seem to have only just recently decided on the Touch design and that would explain why it's not going to be out at launch. Even the demo at e3 is apparently just the app they've been using internally at Oculus to test these inputs with.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
    Looks like Iribe misheard this question or was delibrately changing the question. Which is a shame because I really want to know exactly what method they use for tracking fingers for gestures.
    How does the Oculus Touch Gesture tracking worK?

Iribe: "It has a gyro[scope] built-in, as well as the constellation tracking system. So that same external sensor is able to track that. We'll also be showing at E3 multiple sensors that you can use. So imagine you can put two sensors in front of you, you can track an even wider volume."
  • WelbyWelby Posts: 1,065 Oculus Start Member
    Looks like Iribe misheard this question or was delibrately changing the question. Which is a shame because I really want to know exactly what method they use for tracking fingers for gestures.
    How does the Oculus Touch Gesture tracking worK?

Iribe: "It has a gyro[scope] built-in, as well as the constellation tracking system. So that same external sensor is able to track that. We'll also be showing at E3 multiple sensors that you can use. So imagine you can put two sensors in front of you, you can track an even wider volume."

There are sensors inside the ring that track your fingers.

I don't know more details but this is what is has been said.
  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
    But it also tracks your thumb as well apparently so you can give a thumbs up sensors inside the ring would not have a good view of that.

Or is it something as simple as some kind of proximity or light pressure sensor that detects when your finger is on the button and assumes it pointing when it is not.
  • willstewillste Posts: 675
    Brain Burst
    I'll reserve some judgment till after E3 demo impressions. If you end up hating their release product you can always get Vive first and skip CV1. But it seems they are heading in similar directions, with Oculus also capable of multiple tracking cameras and non-traditional motion controls.
    I honestly think even if Oculus comes out a little behind with CV1 for whatever reason, they will still iterate faster than competition in the future just due to their massive staff. With Valve championing Linux based steam machines in the future, it makes sense for Oculus to throw in with Microsoft. Like it or not Windows has been the home of PC gaming since windows 95, and with dx12 on the way that trend doesn't look to be shifting fast. Though Id love a gaming machine that didn't need me to buy a $120 copy of windows. The Xbone controller is a natural intersection for them, since for better or worse it has been their common demoing controller.
    I am interested to see how their 3rd person VR games play out since it is not something I have been able to try. Could be really great or it could be lame. I actually recall hearing good things about Lucky's Tale, so it may be a viable fun genre in VR, even though clearly this isn't the kind of game VR enthusiasts are dreaming of.
  • haagchhaagch Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    willste wrote:
    With Valve championing Linux based steam machines in the future, it makes sense for Oculus to throw in with Microsoft. Like it or not Windows has been the home of PC gaming since windows 95,
    That's not what we're annoyed about. Oculus has advertised with cross platform support from the beginning. From what I heard it was pretty terrible with DK1. We can excuse that with how they maybe didn't know how much work it would be.
    But then they made their DK2. We thought, now after the DK1 they have an idea of the work involved and since they advertise linux support again, they surely will do it right this time. Then they got bought by facebook and got a shitload of money, so there is no doubt they had the funds to actually do it.
    willste wrote:
    and with dx12 on the way that trend doesn't look to be shifting fast.
    With Vulkan on the way, it seems that most people will choose to ignore the open standard that has been created in collaboration with almost all major industry players in favor of a proprietary single-vendor solution... AGAIN...