cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star VR - Formerly Infiniteye 210° FOV 5k resolution

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Just saw this on the Reddit and I figured I would post it here since I haven't seen any discussion on it:

http://www.starvr.com/

Apparently what was once the Infiniteye has been rebranded Star VR and they're promising a 210° FOV and a 5k resolution split over 2 screens. They've also got some big partnerships with Lionsgate and Toshiba. Still no information on price or important info like refresh rate, but the specs we've got certainly are impressive. Anyone willing to invest in the $5k PC that will be able to run this thing?
43 REPLIES 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
"matskatsaba" wrote:

Spent around 4000$ to build a decent rig that can handle the DK2 (and hopefully will handle CV1), so kinda curious which selected enthusiasts would be interested...

I'm running on 5960x, gtx titan-x and 64gb 3,3ghz DDR4, and 4k gaming does work.
On 60FPS.
Which is irrelevant since the 4k monitor can't handle faster than 30Hz refresh rate @4k
And this is only a single-render from one angle.

Are you freaking crazy?!?

Check my rig in my Sig... with the exception of Elite Dangerous inside stations I get a Solid 75Hz Refresh here on my DK2.

My Rig cost £1300 or about $2100 last December.

Your rig is absolute overkill for both DK2 and for CV1.

tamonte
Honored Guest
"reptilexcq" wrote:
It's unbelievable a company out of no where can come up with a 5k resolution display and the so called "experts" at Oculus and Vive couldn't even come up with a decent 2k display lol. Something is not adding up here.

:roll: You are delusional if you think it would have been a good choice to go with specs like this for the first consumer product.

Obviously Oculus could have made something like this for their CV1, but they didn't because simply put it would fail miserably.

CV1 requirements are already too steep to most people, only enthusiasts are going to take full advantage of it.
Something like this will not run acceptably in any single gpu system right now and in the next 2 years. And guess what, SLI introduces lag, which is crucial for VR, so there goes your "perfect" solution...
Not to mention the price, you think every gamer has 4000$ to spend on and headset+pc to run it?

Wait 2 years and CV2/Vive2 for specs like this to be viable.

bp2008
Protege
Why do they have to call this 5k resolution when it is, in fact, fewer pixels than a 4k panel?

I should offer to sell them 10k displays. They'll have a 100000:1 aspect ratio, which I am sure would sound just fantastic to their marketing folks.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
"bp2008" wrote:
Why do they have to call this 5k resolution when it is, in fact, fewer pixels than a 4k panel?

I should offer to sell them 10k displays. They'll have a 100000:1 aspect ratio, which I am sure would sound just fantastic to their marketing folks.

Marketing absurdity will never end. It's not only 5K, but remember that 4K should be called 2K, because it has TWO thousands in 2160p name. 8K should be called 4K (4320p) and so on. They just "counted in in different way", they counted "4x more pixels" and named it 4K. To confuse people. And they succeeded. I saw a guy posting a comment where he though 2K means something in the middle between 1080p and 2160p and it was about in fact 1080p, not even 1440p which some people call 2K.
Confuse people - oldest trick in the book. Look at Nvidia and their ridiculous naming scheme, now copied by AMD.
For example GTX5xx series based on the same GPU found in 6xx series.
Sometimes the same GPU gets 3 names of 3 different generations!
LCDs reaction time, "1000Hz" in TVs, 'next-gen console" used for something that's been on the market for 1.5 years.

Ask THEM why they named it inaccurately. 😉
This will never end. It should. But won't.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"tamonte" wrote:
"reptilexcq" wrote:
It's unbelievable a company out of no where can come up with a 5k resolution display and the so called "experts" at Oculus and Vive couldn't even come up with a decent 2k display lol. Something is not adding up here.

:roll: You are delusional if you think it would have been a good choice to go with specs like this for the first consumer product.

"We're going for an all-in cost of $4500 for CV1"

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
I think "RonsonPL" is right in about the absurdities of the way they label displays resolutions and such. We spend all this time marketing TV's and monitors to consumers, but we are doing more than that, we are educating them, and doing it wrong. It no wonder there is so much confusion when it comes to resolution, and it does need to be fixed.

~B

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
"RonsonPL" wrote:
"bp2008" wrote:

Marketing absurdity will never end. It's not only 5K, but remember that 4K should be called 2K, because it has TWO thousands in 2160p name. 8K should be called 4K (4320p) and so on. They just "counted in in different way", they counted "4x more pixels" and named it 4K. To confuse people. And they succeeded. I saw a guy posting a comment where he though 2K means something in the middle between 1080p and 2160p and it was about in fact 1080p, not even 1440p which some people call 2K.
Confuse people - oldest trick in the book. Look at Nvidia and their ridiculous naming scheme, now copied by AMD.
For example GTX5xx series based on the same GPU found in 6xx series.
Sometimes the same GPU gets 3 names of 3 different generations!
LCDs reaction time, "1000Hz" in TVs, 'next-gen console" used for something that's been on the market for 1.5 years.

Ask THEM why they named it inaccurately. 😉
This will never end. It should. But won't.

When people measure resoultion in ks they are measuring the horizontal resolution in thousands. 2560+2560=5120(5k) resolutions measure in k has nothing to do with the total number of pixels. It actually is the full computery definition of k often used 210=1024 1024x5=5120(5k). While in TV land it seems to of become 960 for a k so 3840=4k.

Progressive scan is a redundant phrase these days and there is no logical reason why when measuring in k(thousands) it should always be horizontal, and why still cameras should always be measured in megapixels instead of resolution. But it has become the convention. p for vertical resolution, k for horizontal resolution in thousands or 960s or 1024s, cameras measured in megapixels.

kernow
Heroic Explorer
"bp2008" wrote:

Because 5K is the horizontal measurement. The number of pixels of 5K resolution can vary depending on the aspect ratio. Same applies with movies, for example... the horizontal measure will stay the same, but the AR will vary.

willste
Explorer
I mean all they did here was take two quad HD phone screens and put them in a headset. Its publically available hardware. You are not going to get the high refresh rate oleds that vive and oculus are getting by doing this. Also effective resolution may be lower as many of the added pixels are lost to your peripheral vision. If only about 130 degrees of the 210 field of view is stereo overlap that is the effective resolution for the user.

There are a lot if problems today with this setup for a consumer product that lead both oculus and vive to avoid it. Still I am sure it is a cool experiment because I have no doubt such a wide fov will make a huge difference.

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
http://uploadvr.com/hands-on-with-starv ... -power-it/

Sounds pretty great, the reviewer mentions that there is no SDE and while this does confirm they're running at 60 Hz, Starbreeze seems confident they can get them to 90. Also they're looking to integrate eye tracking, and they confirm this headset can run on a normal modern gaming PC, though you might want a 980 to start getting the most out of it. At least that's no the dual Titan Xs some feared. Given that release for them still looks a ways out, we could have a good contender for the CV2 and Vive's next generation hardware.