cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else is now worried?

Anonymous
Not applicable
having just watched Step into the Rift press release, I'm now worried..

No mention of actual specs.. just a look at the ergonomics... An xbox controller which I already own will be bundled at my cost...

And a half finished input device...

Where is the meat on them there bones??

What about FOV? What about importing existing games into Oculus Home? What about pre order date??

This event looks very much like they have stuck some material around crescent bay and covered the camera up in plastic and plastered it on a stand....

Very very disappointed Oculus.... This may have been a deal breaker for me....
479 REPLIES 479

ebone260
Honored Guest
"I have never tried a VR HMD or a VR 3rd person game. I just speculate it is like the 3DS with the whole 3D aspect but having it in your face and not able to see anything but the game.

It is definitely not anything like the 3DS. It is better than you'd think it would be but it still pales in comparison to good first person VR. And I don't think it's nearly enough to get someone to buy a headset.

kongking
Explorer
Partnership with MS is a stupid thing to announce. MS is going to have to work with all the VR companies if they want to keep on going with the pc business. No reason to pick the one and only Oculus.

Oculus's only news was the controllers and that's available with Vive and Morpheus for a good long while.

I remember hazily how Carmack said "30k should be good, eventually eye tracking", (he made face of daydreaming when saying that) from some stage lecture event - that just shows they are lazy and forgot about it being available for years. Now it will be soon a real VR feature (both interaction and gpu load reducing thing)- another company is researching it and got it almost working.

The real controllers (body&hands) are being researched in one another company, no hint of Oculus doing that.

Wide fov and 4k screens are done yet by another group.

Oculus did nothing but covered the Rift with nice fabric. And this 3d sound....... omg. Please let the real professionals develop that. I have absolutely no faith in some temporary gathered audio-engineers tinkering for easy money.

They have fallen behind big time. Oculus is not the first choice anymore. At all.

Calanar
Honored Guest
I guess I am wondering when the complaining stops and people "actually" vote with their feet and move on. I know I am crazy to think that people will finally decide, "The rift isn't for me," and be into the Vive. I guess there still is a fun aspect of sticking it to the man and telling them how much they suck and what fools they all are.

That comment was definitely not directed at Kevin or those giving constructive criticism. It was targeted for the folks that say they aren't going to order a rift now because Oculus did x, and they have time to tell us 8-12 times a day why they aren't, even as the smallest bit of news comes out. At some point I just nod my head and think, uh uh, some valid points, you have an informed decision good luck with the alternative. Oh wait you are still here. Why? I prefer androids over iPhones but I don't go to Apple forums telling them why and why I will never buy another Apple branded, slick marketing, toll-gated money sucker again. If you like Mac, or iPhones. Good luck to you. It isn't for me. It's your money and your choice though. Vive la différence, get a Vive!

It reminds me of the joke. How do you know someone is a Vegan?

Because they can't stop themselves from telling you!

Anyway, carry on, be worried, whatever gets you through the day. At some point though do realize the whole thing comes off as kinda silly. Good VR is coming to a face (or a facebook) :lol: 😉 :mrgreen: near you, soon.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
The 3d sound is good one of there aquisitions, not something quickly build by quickly by a temporary gather. The 3d sound is also an open SDK free to use for any use.

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Calanar" wrote:
I guess I am wondering when the complaining stops and people "actually" vote with their feet and move on. I know I am crazy to think that people will finally decide, "The rift isn't for me," and be into the Vive. I guess there still is a fun aspect of sticking it to the man and telling them how much they suck and what fools they all are.

That comment was definitely not directed at Kevin or those giving constructive criticism. It was targeted for the folks that say they aren't going to order a rift now because Oculus did x, and they have time to tell us 8-12 times a day why they aren't, even as the smallest bit of news comes out. At some point I just nod my head and think, uh uh, some valid points, you have an informed decision good luck with the alternative. Oh wait you are still here. Why? I prefer androids over iPhones but I don't go to Apple forums telling them why and why I will never buy another Apple branded, slick marketing, toll-gated money sucker again. If you like Mac, or iPhones. Good luck to you. It isn't for me. It's your money and your choice though. Vive la différence, get a Vive!

It reminds me of the joke. How do you know someone is a Vegan?

Because they can't stop themselves from telling you!

Anyway, carry on, be worried, whatever gets you through the day. At some point though do realize the whole thing comes off as kinda silly. Good VR is coming to a face (or a facebook) :lol: 😉 :mrgreen: near you, soon.

You know, I was wondering the same exact thing earlier today, Calanar. Well said.

Warren989
Honored Guest
"mrmonkeybat" wrote:
The 3d sound is good one of there aquisitions, not something quickly build by quickly by a temporary gather. The 3d sound is also an open SDK free to use for any use.

"3D sound"? No thanks! Some of us have high end sound procs/receivers with 11.2 surround sound and do NOT want some crummy headphones giving "3D sound" out of 2 drivers.

I really don't get why this is even included. I thought they said long ago they would not focus on added costs such as this?

Even a cheap 20$ pair of wired Sony's would beat the included HP's hands down, forgetting Sennheiser or Shure are even a thing...

Having HP's included only ensures more dev's will not include options for full positional (5.1 and up) sound, and *only* use emulated tracking via stereo sound which is already a thing in many variations.

Just seeing a virtual world is only half the senses, what about actual full 3D sound? You cannot come close with just a 2 way (stereo) system, not even close.

andrewtek
Expert Protege
"Warren989" wrote:
"mrmonkeybat" wrote:

"3D sound"? No thanks! Some of us have high end sound procs/receivers with 11.2 surround sound and do NOT want some crummy headphones giving "3D sound" out of 2 drivers.

You have 2 ears, not 11+2. Positional audio allows your eyes and ears to agree on where a sound originates. For listening to music or watching a movie, your 11.2 surround sound might be great. But for VR, accurate positional audio is better.

Please consider reading this article:
http://blog.codinghorror.com/3d-positio ... and-hrtfs/

Warren989
Honored Guest
"andrewtek" wrote:
"Warren989" wrote:
"mrmonkeybat" wrote:

You have 2 ears, not 11+2. Positional audio allows your eyes and ears to agree on where a sound originates. For listening to music or watching a movie, your 11.2 surround sound might be great. But for VR, accurate positional audio is better.

You may only have 2 ears, but you're ears notice the difference between something that's actually in-front of you, off to the right, behind you etc. With only left/right, all that sound/positional info will have to be emulated, which sounds incredibly fake compared to actually having speakers in-front of you etc.

Having actually made games with full 11.2 surround sound, there's little doubt there's a night and day difference.

Maybe you're just confused about what I'm saying. You need positional tracking in games, I never said you didn't, but you need a full set of actual speakers to take full advantage of that. My point was including cheap HP's ensures that this variation of positional tracking is more biased towards stereo tracking vs multi channel tracking.

jetpic
Honored Guest
You need only 2 speakers - one for each ear and a software solution to "spatialize" sound. If you wanted to achieve same with hardware solution you would need infinite number of speakers. 11.2 simply isn't good enough. With good software solution 2 is better than 11.

Kristophoros
Honored Guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmI9-l3a6FM

Warren 989, I found this just for you so you can see what real positional 3d audio sounds like, it has beaten any amount of speakers ive ever heard with just the 2 in a pair of headphones, please listen to this, and let it show you why this is better for the use than 11.2 surround or however many speakers you think is "better"