cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus or Vive, I am leaning toward...

reptilexcq
Honored Guest
I am leaning toward VIVE and the reason is because I don't want to play VR with a traditional controller. I am sure 3rd person games are great with Xbox controller but you can always do that with the Vive too. The fact that Oculus doesn't even include a Touch controller when they ship the product is a downer. I mean developers might not even develop games for them since they realize nobody is owning a Touch controller. I hate the fact that Oculus camera is not as accurate as Lighthouse and they emphasize a seated game play which mean they only ship with one camera and if you want to prevent any sort of occlusion, then you need buy another camera. And not to mention, their system doesn't support walking around with invisible wall integration. They even said it...they say they don't know about full room support. Basically, their cameras suck when it come to full room scale VR because it is just not as accurate and have the ranges like Lighthouse. But if you're person satisfied with just seated experience, then Oculus is the obvious choice, but i am not. I think VR is meant to be played and walked around like you're REALLY there. That's why Lighthouses is expensive. In terms of contents, most of them from Oculus i seen so far are NOT that interesting. Most of them are 3rd person games which have you control it using Xbox controllers, not the way to introduce VR to the world. And i look at VIVE's contents, they have some cools game like Arizona Sunshine, Assembly, Adr1ft, Tilt Brush, Blu, Google Earth and not to mention more from Steam. And who's to say that any contents play on Oculus can't be hacked and use them for Vive? This is PC format and there is no such thing as exclusive. If they ever talk about exclusive, it is probably between them and Morpheus. As far as control...some think the Touch control is amazing but you still have to press the button to control your virtual hands. It is no difference than Vive's controller. They added fingers gestures and stuffs but they're limited and you're not able to do anything you want with your hands anyway. I think the future of VR input is not there yet and it should probably involve a glove or something that allow you to do whatever you want with your hands with no limitation. So to summarize, the BIGGEST reason i don't want Oculus is because they don't support full scale room VR. As far as other stuffs like lighter headset, 3D audio and better optic, i am sure Valve is not done yet. They had already said they're going to improve and exceed in everything in the consumer headset. So the Valve's headset is possibly much much better than the Oculus when the final specs is revealed. One thing i am hoping for is "eye tracking," that will be cool to have that or even hap-tic suite or even modify their control to have more buttons and include thumbsticks.
48 REPLIES 48

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
I am currently leaning Vive. The latest show of Oculus seems to of just caught up to the Vive DK with a bit of consumer polish. Looks like lighthouse is still more accurate than cameras, don't know how long the USB cables those cameras plug in with can be either, while lighthouse just plugs into the wall saving USB3 slots on my computer. The advantage Oculus seems to have right now is gesture tracking and that seems a bit simpler than I first thought. So unless the ergonomics or price of the Vive CV really sucks that is the direction I am probably going to go. A lighthouse is a pretty simple device I think it is going to be allot cheaper than most think.

RoTru
Honored Guest
After this E3 it's obvious if Vive launches this year it will be launching with very little support, and essentially you'll be in the same situation people were in at the DK2 launch - lots of problems and little software

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
I am leaning towards the Vive because they have provided a better standard VR input solution and got it in the hands of developers. The Touch will be at least a year behind Vive in terms of input development when they finally release the Touch dev kits mid next year. In order for developers to create the VR experiences we have been dreaming about, they need proper hardware to program against.

Knowing the Vive developers have proper input is a huge deal. You can bet they aren't wasting time creating rehashed 3rd person games because they have been given proper input from the get go. For VR, input is every bit as important as the HMD itself. The Vive controllers will also allow support for traditional games, so they can support all the 3rd person gamepad content as well.

We also need to see how many walls are around these gardens. Valve has traditionally been a very open ecosystem, offering their tracking solution and game engine to anyone. Oculus seems to be going a different direction, showing many exclusive titles. If I had to choose between a bunch of rehashed 3rd person gamepad content and a few made for VR experiences, I would go for the VR experiences every time.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

VizionVR
Rising Star
What? I can't buy both?
I guess if I have to choose I'll pick...the best one.
By the way, I must say this thread is V)ery I)nformative and V)irtually E)njoyable.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
If we are taking a straw poll on current 'leanings' then chalk me up for a Vive (if I could only have one) based on gut feeling and a little voodoo (wishful thinking).

In favour of the rift I am liking the idea of its comfort and ergonomics but something about the Vive (in theory) just hits me right, including robust tracking, standard VR controls for ALL, Steam and Open VR vs OculusHome(FACEBOOK) and closed walls, and Valve behind it and what that could mean for VR IP down the line.

I think valve have been doing a lot in quiet rather than shouting about it so maybe they'll have little content but it could be GREAT content (ie not 3 third person platformers played via gamepad) - we waited 20 years for VR so I'd give my $$$ to the company that gives me quality (1 GREAT VR experience with control, room tracking, walking and great graphics) over 100 casual type games that happen to run well... you know what I'm saying? I'm not buying VR to just be entertained, I'm buying it to be blown away and I think Valve may be in a better position to do that with what they have.

tl;dr? Vive... but will also consider CV1 (and if cheap enough will surely be buying one too but maybe only after Touch is available).

All this could change if Valve release some unsavoury news nearer launch time (ie the CV HMD weighs 2kg or something)
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Georgio
Honored Guest
It's good for developers to have competition, it keeps them sharp and willing to please and ultimately it's us the consumer that wins.
I would imagine that we are due another monumental Nvidia vs AMD / VHS vs Betamax (look it up kids) / GM vs Ford struggle for dominance which will see-saw backwards and forwards for a few years with new innovations being introduced every year.
Guaranteed that people in 10 years will look back to the CV1 and Vive head-sets and be amazed that anyone actually used them for anything... 😄

MoeCapp
Protege
For home users I'd suggest waiting until both HMDs are actually out in their final designs and then looking at the price and software situation. Sure the Vive is coming a little sooner but will still probably face the issue of not having a ton of software ready for it, so waiting a few extra months for CV1 isn't a big deal from that perspective. Unless Valve/HTC surprise everyone with a huge ton of exclusive software available at release time, I see no reason to rush into it.

The Vive may end up being a preferred choice for Mac/Linux users with Oculus seemingly focused on Windows, or may be a better price point after CV1 drops and there's no way yet to tell if and what software will be exclusive to either HMD, or if that ends up being an issue at all. Hopefully the majority of software will be able to run fine on either unit in the long run, though there could be a few exclusive titles that swing favor in one way or the other.

For me personally I am pre-ordering and getting the CV1 and Touch for sure, As a VR geek I may pick up a Vive depending on everything from price or necessity for testing stuff in Unity. I love the DK2, I think it's awesome as is and its great for developing. As an end user I'm actually more concerned about available full software titles at this time than the improvements of hardware, though those will be welcome. I'm liable to eventually grab a PS4 and Morpheus as well just for games that won't be available on PC.

snappahead
Expert Protege
Nope..buying a VIve as soon as humanly possible.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

willste
Explorer
I am not sure why people seem to think the screen will be better on Vive. All indications seem to point to them using the exact same screen. Same rez, both Oled, both 90 Hz. From Oculus we know these are proprietary Samsung OLEDs not currently on the market.

HTC sources screens from Samsung so they probably worked out a way to also get the same kind of screen. While optics and orientation make a difference I think we can expect near parity on screen quality unless HTC really fucks up.

In the end Vive's success will really come down to whether their room level games work as well at home as they did in their demos. While I love the idea of room level, I am still not convinced that playing a room sized game with a cable attached to your head wont be a bitch.

Cable management and content to match Vive's vision are going to be critical factors in its success. I personally don't want to hang a super long DP + USB cable from the ceiling running to my computer but if it gives you a holodeck it may be worth it. Also it is still unclear how much more expensive light house will be. It may be more extreme than we think, its a very complex solution to manufacture compared to IR and camera tracking. Still it will be exciting to see Valves reveal.

Chivas
Expert Protege
I'm currently leaning toward the Rift, because the price will probably be cheaper, as I don't require inputs for flight sims, and the flight sims I want to fly are currently only supporting the Rift.

BUT if I were interested in other sims/games IMHO the Rift inputs appear to be better suited for more games than Vive's wands, especially with its finger dexterity, and hand communication.

As far as the headset specs are concerned it looks like both will be quite similar. Although from listening to Palmer's info on their custom lenses, I have a hunch the Rifts optics may turn out to be better than Vive's.

I may buy the Vive aswell if there are any sims/games supported that I might be interested in, but haven't seen any yet.