cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus or Vive, I am leaning toward...

reptilexcq
Honored Guest
I am leaning toward VIVE and the reason is because I don't want to play VR with a traditional controller. I am sure 3rd person games are great with Xbox controller but you can always do that with the Vive too. The fact that Oculus doesn't even include a Touch controller when they ship the product is a downer. I mean developers might not even develop games for them since they realize nobody is owning a Touch controller. I hate the fact that Oculus camera is not as accurate as Lighthouse and they emphasize a seated game play which mean they only ship with one camera and if you want to prevent any sort of occlusion, then you need buy another camera. And not to mention, their system doesn't support walking around with invisible wall integration. They even said it...they say they don't know about full room support. Basically, their cameras suck when it come to full room scale VR because it is just not as accurate and have the ranges like Lighthouse. But if you're person satisfied with just seated experience, then Oculus is the obvious choice, but i am not. I think VR is meant to be played and walked around like you're REALLY there. That's why Lighthouses is expensive. In terms of contents, most of them from Oculus i seen so far are NOT that interesting. Most of them are 3rd person games which have you control it using Xbox controllers, not the way to introduce VR to the world. And i look at VIVE's contents, they have some cools game like Arizona Sunshine, Assembly, Adr1ft, Tilt Brush, Blu, Google Earth and not to mention more from Steam. And who's to say that any contents play on Oculus can't be hacked and use them for Vive? This is PC format and there is no such thing as exclusive. If they ever talk about exclusive, it is probably between them and Morpheus. As far as control...some think the Touch control is amazing but you still have to press the button to control your virtual hands. It is no difference than Vive's controller. They added fingers gestures and stuffs but they're limited and you're not able to do anything you want with your hands anyway. I think the future of VR input is not there yet and it should probably involve a glove or something that allow you to do whatever you want with your hands with no limitation. So to summarize, the BIGGEST reason i don't want Oculus is because they don't support full scale room VR. As far as other stuffs like lighter headset, 3D audio and better optic, i am sure Valve is not done yet. They had already said they're going to improve and exceed in everything in the consumer headset. So the Valve's headset is possibly much much better than the Oculus when the final specs is revealed. One thing i am hoping for is "eye tracking," that will be cool to have that or even hap-tic suite or even modify their control to have more buttons and include thumbsticks.
48 REPLIES 48

VizionVR
Rising Star
Okay, so here's the count (as close as I could figure)
Vive = 8
Rift = 6
Both = 2
undecided = 5
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

"Atmos73" wrote:
I'm going with Vive as they'll be first to market with a complete package at launch for a true VR experience. Oculus's HMD will be launched late and their VR controller launched even later.

From the HMD, controllers, Lighthouse, Steam Interface, backwards compatibility with existing games, development of some AAA in house games. Vive IMO will be hard to beat.

Are you sure about that?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Malkmus1979
Explorer
I think this is a silly poll to take at the moment because as we get closer to launch so many things will have changed. But I've been on record as saying I will get both and still intend to.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Definitely going with Oculus. Ha!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

rlabelle
Protege
There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I am planning on ordering both as soon as available to find out which will be best. I'll probably get Morpheus for PS4 as well as I am curious. I've already backed Virtuix Omni and Sixense Stem controllers as well as to find the best combinations for VR. I'll be making video reviews with gameplay footage as soon as they arrive.

Subscribe if you'd like to see them action on release date and decide for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzy ... _as=public
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28

snappahead
Expert Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
Definitely going with Oculus. Ha!

You sure? You've got a long wait in front of you. That Vive is going to look mighty tempting while staring at your Oculus pre-order screen for 6 or 7 months. Plus...No Touch until who knows when...You might not make it.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

willste
Explorer
I am definitely pre-ordering a Rift. The games they are kicking off work in any amount of space. They have some solid launch titles. And based on the lack of motion controls I know the initial release will be very budget friendly. Their imminent motion controls sound compelling enough also to where I will survive the wait to buy them separately.

I will consider getting a Vive as well, budget allowing, and based off their consumer announcement and based off my final office setup. I may not have the room to enjoy its extra tracking features so there may be no point in the extra tracking features, especially if they release games that only work well in a larger space.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll be getting both (as well as the OSVR HMD to hack). If I could only get one then it would be the Vive.

jyoun
Explorer
Do people wanting walking experiences also have someone to stand next to them to manage the cable at all times!?

willste
Explorer
"jyoun" wrote:
Do people wanting walking experiences also have someone to stand next to them to manage the cable at all times!?

I thought Valve was packaging a cable management robot? Don't tell me its not true.