Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HMD Sensor Detected, check HDMI connection

MOD46
Honored Guest
Lol new runtime and sdk new error message in the config util

with version 4.4 and 5.01 I had the "No HMD detected" error

now with version 6 I get a new error message "HMD Sensor Detected, check HDMI connection"

I cannot make sense of this message as it seems a little contradictory. I tried connecting the hdmi cable to another port with the dvi adapter and it still showed the same message. Very frustrating as I have not been able to get the rift to run on my new high end computer I purchased in January. BTW the hdmi cable is fine as the rift works on another family members computer with runtime 5.01 but as it is somebody else's computer I have very limited access to it.
25 REPLIES 25

dustums
Honored Guest
I've got the "check HDMI connection" issue consistently the moment I turn off the HMD, my machine sleeps, or sometimes just randomly. My only consistent solution is to unplug the power cable to the rift and replug. That seems to always reconnect it properly. I just spend a lot of time under my desk. 😄

sarthakgupta
Honored Guest
@Cybereality - HMD not being discovered in extended mode leads to several problems like opening/running apps that do not have a direct to rift executable.

I installed WebVR enabled versions of both chrome and firefox and tried to test the mozvr demos. If I am on the direct display mode in config tool head tracking does not work but the screen shows up in HMD. On the other hand, in the extended mode no screen shows up since HMD is not detected - but the head tracking works. Not sure if this is a bug related to the thread's topic but it seems so.

I am guessing, the HMD not being detected in both the direct and extended modes is a big problem as many others have been reporting this and if a sure shot solution can be ascertained it will possibly lead to solutions of many other problems as well.

thatdude90210
Protege
I just started seeing this issue today. I've had the DK2 since july/aug last year and it's worked fine til today. I was using runtime 5.0.1 and suddenly got the "HMD not detected, tracking camera connected." So I decided to try the latest 6.0.1 runtime, and upgrade my videocard driver. Same issue, only now the error message is "HMD powered off, check HDMI connection." I tried reconnecting the hdmi and usb cables but no difference. And either extended or direct mode makes no difference.

Then I tried a different HDMI cable, and it worked. But it's a short cable so obviously it's not a workable solution. Plus I don't want an extra wire hanging off my DK2. So if my issue is the hdmi cable, how do I go about getting a replacement?

My system is i5 2500k, amd r9 290, windows 7 64-bit. And I don't have teamviewer, plus tried some of the trouble shooting like restarting ovr service that I found googling around.

Knightshade.Steve
Adventurer
For the count.

I had the same problem, directmode = HMD works fine, Extended - it doesn't power up.;
Elite Dangerous's performance in DirectHMD mode is apalling on a phenom II x4.

here is team oculus's most recent responce from another thread;
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22006&start=80

This issue as a regression from 0.4.4 should be solved in 0.6. Note that the majority of users seeing this error message are not actually experiencing the issue as a regression, but fortunately customer support can help with such cases.

If you're getting this error message, please do the following:

Uninstall the Oculus Runtime, Display Drivers, and Tracking Driver (you can just uninstall everything made by Oculus from "Programs and Features").
Reboot.
Log into your machine and give it several minutes. This will make sure that it picks up default drivers for your hardware.
Install the 0.6 Runtime. This can be found at https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/. If something newer happens to available by the time you see this, use the newer version.
Reboot again after installation.
Switch to Extended mode with Rift Saver off.
Reboot once more.
Open up Config Util and enter into the demo scene. If you can see the demo scene, then the issue is resolved.

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, then do the following (same as above, but this time installing 0.4.4):

Uninstall the Oculus Runtime, Display Drivers, and Tracking Driver (you can just uninstall everything made by Oculus from "Programs and Features").
Reboot.
Log into your machine and give it several minutes. This will make sure that it picks up default drivers for your hardware.
Install the 0.4.4 Runtime. This can be found at https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ ... 0.4.4-beta.
Reboot again after installation.
Switch to Extended mode with Rift Saver off.
Reboot once more.
Open up Config Util and enter into the demo scene. If still you can not see the demo scene, then you are experiencing a different issue than the main one being discussed here. There can be many causes for this, so please contact Customer Support (https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) and they should be able to get you sorted out.

If both of the above fail, please contact Customer Support. If the first fails and the second succeeds, then please reply back so we know there's an on-going regression. Thanks everyone for your patience with this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY FIX;

i followed the instructions
(installing the runtime with the rift turned on seemed to be the only thing i hadnt tried)

I also unplugged an unused monitor from my graphics card (750ti, 3 ports)

Either unplugging the monitor or installing the runtime with the dk2 turned on.. fixed the issue.

I hope this helps someone

(unfortunately now, in extended mode, the HMD powers up but the headset doesn't.. amber light, staring at me.
which has happened many times before.
too tired to tackle the issue. Least the HMD is working.)

thatdude90210
Protege
"thatdude90210" wrote:
I just started seeing this issue today. I've had the DK2 since july/aug last year and it's worked fine til today. I was using runtime 5.0.1 and suddenly got the "HMD not detected, tracking camera connected." So I decided to try the latest 6.0.1 runtime, and upgrade my videocard driver. Same issue, only now the error message is "HMD powered off, check HDMI connection." I tried reconnecting the hdmi and usb cables but no difference. And either extended or direct mode makes no difference.

Then I tried a different HDMI cable, and it worked. But it's a short cable so obviously it's not a workable solution. Plus I don't want an extra wire hanging off my DK2. So if my issue is the hdmi cable, how do I go about getting a replacement?

My system is i5 2500k, amd r9 290, windows 7 64-bit. And I don't have teamviewer, plus tried some of the trouble shooting like restarting ovr service that I found googling around.

Followup on this. I emailed support and they said that it does appear to be a faulty HDMI cable, but I won't be able to buy a replacement from Oculus, and to just substitute my own HDMI cable. So I bought one, a 10ft thin one with Redmere tech from Amazon for about $14. It's not ideal but it works.

oswierad
Honored Guest
This fixed the problem for me

http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbo ... e92_52.jpg

Oculus was accidentally set to disabled