cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RiftSketch: A live-coding environment in HTML5

Anonymous
Not applicable
RiftSketch is based on troffmo5's excellent OculusStreetView application. I took his base code and turned it into a live-coding environment.

The idea is that you code a "sketch" in JavaScript, using the Three.js library, and the scene in front of you updates immediately as you code. The application (and the code) is not very polished but I've been sitting on it for so long that I just wanted to put it out there. There is already a long todo list of changes that I want to make.

The code is up on GitHub.

Usage:

Let me know what you think! (Or if my shoddy code doesn't work at all).
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for sharing. this is a lot of fun to tinker with. i had to enlarge the zoom in chrome (while fullscreen at 1920x1080) a few times and the code window was readable/usable. i need to work on touch typing a bit more... :mrgreen:

Anonymous
Not applicable
"jayoh" wrote:
thanks for sharing. this is a lot of fun to tinker with. i had to enlarge the zoom in chrome (while fullscreen at 1920x1080) a few times and the code window was readable/usable. i need to work on touch typing a bit more... :mrgreen:

Thanks jayoh. I need to put a proper fix in for different resolutions, amongst other things. And, yeah, the app does assume that you are willing to learn touch-typing and Three.js. Luckily there are online resources to help you improve in both areas: http://www.typingstudy.com/ 😉

Viral
Honored Guest
Consider using `vr.js` for Rift support in the browser. (It comes with a OculusRiftEffect for THREE.js)

Also, if you plan to distribute applications, `node-webkit` works with `vr.js`.

blazespinnaker2
Explorer
Great stuff. Checked out the github, looks like Brian is still doing commits now and then.

This looks like what I want, but it's always good to compare and contrast. Any similar projects out there doing something similar? (Interacting with a VR environment via scripting)

Anonymous
Not applicable
"blazespinnaker2" wrote:
Any similar projects out there doing something similar? (Interacting with a VR environment via scripting)

@blazespinnaker2: There are a few more out there now. Checkout the HMDProgramming subreddit for a list. There are projects using Python, Unity and GLSL (shaders). Even John Carmack himself is working on a VR scripting language, but I don't know if he's planning to create a environment where you can code inside VR.

blazespinnaker2
Explorer
Thanks for the link! BirdsAndBlossoms.js is very amazing, btw. Incredible stuff.