cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting to try the vive

Malkmus1979
Explorer
So I drove down to San Diego this morning to try the Vive via their tour bus at Comic Con. And guess what, I'm the only one In line! Granted I'm here two hours early so I could get back to work as soon as possible. Anyway they're all setting up right now. I've read a lot of reviews from Yesterday complaining about judder and the volcanic temperatures in the "bus", actually a truck. So anyway, I'll be sure to give my own impressions as soon as I can!
35 REPLIES 35

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Thanks for the heads up! I'm in line now. Apparently they have 3 demo booths and can push 18 people through per hour.
image.jpg

AlexiGVS
Explorer
WOW.. Thank you Malkmus1979. Vive DK impressed you more then Oculus Rift consumer version?.. If Vive CV will be better then DK(I think it will be).. I definitely will buy one!

snappahead
Expert Protege
Very jelly. The only stop that's even a little close to me (200 miles) is "invite only", so I'll have to miss out again. Thanks for the report, Malkmus. Glad you liked it.

Andrew, please share your thoughts with us after.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"Snappahead" wrote:
Very jelly. The only stop that's even a little close to me (200 miles) is "invite only", so I'll have to miss out again. Thanks for the report, Malkmus. Glad you liked it.

That's strange. Are you sure there's no way to register for a spot? The whole point of the tour is for the public to try it (and press as well of course).

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"AlexWake" wrote:
WOW.. Thank you Malkmus1979. Vive DK impressed you more then Oculus Rift consumer version?.. If Vive CV will be better then DK(I think it will be).. I definitely will buy one!

To be honest if I had to rank my experiences it would be this:

1. Vive (portal demo)
2. Morpheus (The Getaway)
3. Oculus Rift CV1 (Eve Valkyrie)

The main reason CV1 ranks last in the fun department? It was the only one with a gamepad. Morpheus was super fun to interact with and Vive was the most immersive and interactive. But playing Eve with a gamepad felt too much like every DK2 experience I've already tried, albeit with better comfort than the rest.

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Okay... Just got out.

1. Room scale is cool. But it is not practical yet with wires. I really enjoyed it, but I kept nudging the wires away as I felt them around my shoes. Also, I felt that my feet were below the floor. I think this is because they do not calibrate the experience (height, IPD) to each person. I am taller than average, so my feet felt like they were 8 inches below the ground. My wife felt the floor was right were her feet were. Also, the immersion makes you want to walk further than the room allows. I loved seeing through the floor!
2. Controls worked very well. They were wireless. The thumb pads were intuitive in the painting app (the only demo that supported them).
3. I got to see 3 demos: Underwater with fish and whales, a painting application and the Robot Repair demo.
4. All of the demos had occasional judder. The demo operator mentioned that the software occasionally needs to be restarted and apologized. Oh well. The worst judder was in the Robot Repair demo; which was the most graphically intense, so it makes sense that this was software related and not tracking related. My wife went through in a different demo room and had no Judder.
5. There is a little SDE, but you need to look for it in bright areas to notice it. It does not break immersion.
6. It is hard for me to judge FOV because I am used to developing in my DK2. The FOV is good for me.
7. I could see pixels, but did not notice sub pixels.
8. The headset was lighter than I expected, but not as light as I was hoping.

All-in-all, a nice piece of tech. As with Oculus, I feel it is up to developers to work out any performance issues before launch.

snappahead
Expert Protege
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
"Snappahead" wrote:

That's strange. Are you sure there's no way to register for a spot? The whole point of the tour is for the public to try it (and press as well of course).

It seems to be the only location where they're doing it, so it must be special circumstances.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
"andrewtek" wrote:
Okay... Just got out.

Also, I felt that my feet were below the floor. I think this is because they do not calibrate the experience (height, IPD) to each person. I am taller than average, so my feet felt like they were 8 inches below the ground. My wife felt the floor was right were her feet were. Also, the immersion makes you want to walk further than the room allows. I loved seeing through the floor!

Wierd as the base stations are fixed they should only have to calibrate the the location of the floor once then the system should always know where the HMD is in relation to the floor. Maybe its more to do with IPD adjusting the lense assembly to fit round your nose will not give a precise measure of where your eyes are.

andrewtek
Expert Protege
"mrmonkeybat" wrote:

Wierd as the base stations are fixed they should only have to calibrate the the location of the floor once then the system should always know where the HMD is in relation to the floor. Maybe its more to do with IPD adjusting the lense assembly to fit round your nose will not give a precise measure of where your eyes are.

It is weird. It was not just my feet. I also put the hand controllers near the floor and they disappeared under it. So it could have just been bad calibration.

BTW
Honored Guest
"andrewtek" wrote:
"mrmonkeybat" wrote:

It is weird. It was not just my feet. I also put the hand controllers near the floor and they disappeared under it. So it could have just been bad calibration.

I read in there update info that they were busy fixing some kind of drift* ... so maybe that is what you had.

*weird isn't it?
http://steamcommunity.com/games/358720/ ... 0079577930
Fixed floor position initializing wrong and causing the saved floor position to drift downward each time Room Setup is launched.
I5-4590 - 16 gig Corsair Vengeance - R9 390 4gb - 500gb 850 EVO - Consumer VR enthusiast