cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

joe
Explorer
We just shipped a beta for Half-Life 2 that includes Oculus Rift support. To get it, open the properties for HL2 in Steam by right-clicking on the name of the game in your library. Set your command line to "-vr", and opt-in to the SteamPipe beta. This should ship to everybody in a few weeks.

Edited to add:
*** NOTE! The Steam Pipe beta shipped in summer of 2013. You don't need to opt into that beta anymore. ***

This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped, so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find. Just like in TF2 this mode is experimental, so we really want to hear what you think.

A few known issues:

• If you clone your desktop monitor to the Rift it won't work very well. You can work around this by picking full screen in the video options.

All of the convars are the same as they were in TF2 with two additions:
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward - Moves the viewmodel back so the elbows are harder to see and it feels more attached to your body.
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward_large - Same as vr_viewmodel_offset_forward, but for the Gravity Gun.

I find these convars to be useful in the game itself, so consider setting them:
hud_quickinfo 1
hud_fastswitch 2

Edited to add this:

The calibrator isn't up and running in HL2, but you can use the one in TF2 to generate the appropriate values. You should definitely do this to avoid eye strain and make the whole experience more pleasant.

• Run TF2 and calibrate using vr_calibration.

• Look at the vr_separation_user_inches convar and remember what it is set to

• Run HL2 and set that convar to the same value.

• Set vr_separation_toein_pixels to 0 in HL2

You should launch TF2 and run vr_calibration. See what vr_separation_user_inches is set to and set the same
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

donkaradiablo
Explorer
HL2 Update mod works fine (for me) with Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1 and nvidia 353.30, with todays SteamVR update (didn't try it before with those drivers). I've switched to extended mode and started "Virtual Reality Mode" for Steam (listed under view). Then started HL2 Update from there.

I have -console as launch option for the game and the following in the autoexec.cfg:

vr_translation_limit 100
bind v vr_reset_home_pos
fps_max 76
bind "Z" vr_cycle_aim_move_mode

One more important thing, my desktop was at 75hz.
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

Anonymous
Not applicable
"donkaradiablo" wrote:
HL2 Update mod works fine (for me) with Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1 and nvidia 353.30, with todays SteamVR update (didn't try it before with those drivers). I've switched to extended mode and started "Virtual Reality Mode" for Steam (listed under view). Then started HL2 Update from there.

I have -console as launch option for the game and the following in the autoexec.cfg:

vr_translation_limit 100
bind v vr_reset_home_pos
fps_max 76
bind "Z" vr_cycle_aim_move_mode

One more important thing, my desktop was at 75hz.

I will have to give this a try some time. It is possible for my to force 75Hz, though my screen doesn't like it.

donkaradiablo
Explorer
Your desktop resolution does not have to be the same as your in-game resolution. If your screen works fine at 1280x720@75hz, go for that one.
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

nicktamere
Honored Guest
Hi,
I played HL2 a few weeks ago on my DK2, worked like a charm, loved the decoupled aiming.

Today I wanted to show it to a friend and could no longer get it to work.
I read here and on other sites that there was some kind of VR update either for steam or HL2 which interferes with the DK2 compatibility.

At first I tried the "standard" HL2 with beta updates opt in. When I activated VR in the video options and restarted the game, I saw the button for VR, but couldn't click it.

After that I tried Half-Life VR. When trying to activate VR (either button or console command) i got either error 301 or 1000.

Than I read here, that Half-Life Update still worked in VR so I downloaded that. If I try to start it from Steam VR, I can hear the sound, but can't see anything (neither on monitor nor on the Rift).

Can somebody help me get it working again?

First I tried it with SDK 6.0.1, didn't work. Read somewhere 6.0 screwed extended mode.
Installed SDK 4.4, didn't work.

Thanks in advance.

donkaradiablo
Explorer
"donkaradiablo" wrote:
Your desktop resolution does not have to be the same as your in-game resolution. If your screen works fine at 1280x720@75hz, go for that one.

And use extended mode with SDK 6.0.1. That's what worked for me.

DeepEcho (UE4 I guess) is one of my favorite demos and the performance is considerably higher with Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1 and nvidia 353.30. It also doesn't seem to give as bad judder as before when the frame rate is around 65-75. HL2 Update mod is no different. I feel like it's kinda working better now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
just been playing it, it's fine again now.

Joewa
Explorer
Anyone else having problems trying to VR in HL2 with the new runtime? Can't get it to activate at all.

AlphaRay123
Honored Guest
"Joewa" wrote:
Anyone else having problems trying to VR in HL2 with the new runtime? Can't get it to activate at all.

Me too..istalled HL2 today. HL2 trying to start in VR mode...but nothing changes.

Kangelos
Protege
I found a workaround to play hl2 in win 10 + runtime 0.7.
Check and tell me if it works for you.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=26417

cogent
Explorer
"kangelos" wrote:
I found a workaround to play hl2 in win 10 + runtime 0.7.
Check and tell me if it works for you.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=26417

Does not work for me.
But I found another solution to get HLVR running again.
I have downgrade Steam VR to Steam VR beta version 446847085.
Now it works again with runtime 0.6. Maybe this will also work on runtime 0.7 or 0.8.