New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Waiting to try the vive

2»

Comments

  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
    Seems HTC's aproach is to keep it under wraps until a month before release so the hype dose not go down before it goes on sale. Aparently it will be revealed in October:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables ... er-1299053

    I expect the consumer version to be much more ergonomic, didnt Alan Yates say they had a prototype iteration very similar to Crescent Moon which they called Cutlass.
  • WelbyWelby Posts: 1,065 Oculus Start Member
    Tim74UK wrote:
    VizionVR wrote:
    I plan to buy both, but I will not purchase the Rift until proper input and content is included. I'm not investing my hard earned $$ in VR just to play around with a gamepad, some third person content, and ported Gear VR apps.

    Truth be told... Input is not so important to me.. Since I will be in Elite Dangerous or racing around a track.... both of which require hardware controllers to get he immersion right.

    My personal take on input is this.... No input solution I've seen thus far can do what they are designed to do... put your hands in the game. Sure they can mark up the location of your limbs and yep even give you some crude forms of control over your extremities and flanges within the game world....

    What they do do however is ultimatly break immersion... they are a barrier to being there....

    The only way True immersion can happen beyond past your ears FOV is to take your natural hands and scan track them one to one.. no controllers, no nothing...

    Until that is possible Crude input games will be like Wii games... and nothing more than a little gimmicky...

    We need light house style tracking gloves..... light house style tracking keyboards and mice and steering wheels... I'm not talking about simply adding a IMU's to everything... I'm talking about direct macro scale scanning of natural objects, rendering them in stable one to one into the virtual world and allowing those objects to interact with it.

    Basically we need the Leapmotion that actually works....

    Well.. this is what i thought too since some times ago.. but then.. what happen when you grab something in the game?

    For example.. You grab a sword.. a mace.. or you're using a gun.. I know,of course you can't have a phisical controller for every objects.. but you could have a decent controller for some of the most used objects in the game (handed weapons.. and guns).. or of course just "fists"..

    I'm pretty sure that move your hands like crazy trying to use your sword in the virtual world.. but instead in the real one you have nothing really phisical in your hands.. just really broke the immersion and doesn't feel right.

    Those are just some cases where an input solution like the oculus touch could work better than something glove style or leapmotion style.. because you're actually having something real in your hands.. and this means a lot for the immersion.
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 976
    Art3mis
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Truth be told... Input is not so important to me.. Since I will be in Elite Dangerous or racing around a track.... both of which require hardware controllers to get he immersion right.
    Purpose-built controllers will not be going anywhere. But, even your stick/wheel controller will need positional tracking so that where you see it in the virtual world is where you feel it in the real world.
    Tim74UK wrote:
    My personal take on input is this.... No input solution I've seen thus far can do what they are designed to do... put your hands in the game. Sure they can mark up the location of your limbs and yep even give you some crude forms of control over your extremities and flanges within the game world....

    What they do do however is ultimatly break immersion... they are a barrier to being there....

    The only way True immersion can happen beyond past your ears FOV is to take your natural hands and scan track them one to one.. no controllers, no nothing...
    The Vive wands that you see in the real world are not exactly what they look like in VR. They become the right tool for the job; whether that be painting palettes, guns, grabbing devices, etc. Immersion is not broken by non-hand-tracked input; the devices become your hands and their use quickly becomes second nature. I have done development using the Leap Motion Controller which does bring your hands in. My experience is that the Vive Wands (and by assumption, Oculus Touch Controllers) are just as immersive if not more so. The controllers act as a sort of bridge between the real world and the virtual; enhancing the connection not subtracting from it.
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Until that is possible Crude input games will be like Wii games... and nothing more than a little gimmicky...
    I guess it will depend on the types of games that people want to play.
    Tim74UK wrote:
    We need light house style tracking gloves..... light house style tracking keyboards and mice and steering wheels... I'm not talking about simply adding a IMU's to everything... I'm talking about direct macro scale scanning of natural objects, rendering them in stable one to one into the virtual world and allowing those objects to interact with it.

    Basically we need the Leapmotion that actually works....
    I would love it if the Leap Motion Controller worked flawlessly. But I still think having a physical tether into the virtual world has its advantages; tactile feedback being one of them.
  • reptilexcqreptilexcq Posts: 68
    You sound like Vive is going to force you to walk...force you to have 15'x15' space. No it doesn't, if all failed, you can always go back to the seated experience. The games will have both seated and full room experience.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Just putting this here:

    Video mentions integrated headphones on Vive (1:20)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jjm42-4rK4

    Interview with HTC's Jeff Gattis. Talks about the front facing camera can warn you when pet gets in your way.
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/htc-vive-in ... 21356.html
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
Sign In or Register to comment.