cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Quiet.....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm it's all gone very quiet here...

Has all there has to be discussed been discussed?

Have we all run out of ideas??

Or are we resigned to the fact that we pretty much won't get anything out of Oculus until September?

It's not just Oculus... the entire VR industry has gone quiet... there is little to no news of any consequence...

Quiet before the Storm? :ugeek:
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
"kevinw729" wrote:
"willste" wrote:
We are overdue for another try at Star Trek. Its time for TNNG. Star Trek was always meant to be a series.

This is JJ.'s last 'StarTrek' (moving to a producer role on future films after the next). That would be a perfect time for a TV (Netflick) series, especially as the 'Game of Thrones' franchise will be coming to a end. I just wonder how they would package it (totally different timeline (ala film), or new approach?)

Johnathan Frakes pitched an idea called Star Fleet and was set far into the future of the next gen, where the rose outlook of the federation has faltered and Star Fleet was in taters....

If you like a darker series...

I liked the idea... don't get me wrong I love Star trek but think Voyager was the best series... they should make star trek more vital, more direct, darker... more adult and realistic.

I really dislike the JJ abrams timeline and films....

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
"Tim74UK" wrote:
Johnathan Frakes pitched an idea called Star Fleet and was set far into the future of the next gen, where the rosey outlook of the federation has faltered and Star Fleet was in taters....
If you like a darker series...

Funny - this is what JJ has done with the StarWars franchise. I think Paramount would be ill advised to go down a "broken Star Fleet" approach - its more a timeline or hidden secret kind of one off storyline than the whole stick!

I remember the pitch for "The Riker's" (sitcom based around the characters life as a family-man on a space station) - looked good on paper but it was post TNG / DSN backlash.

"Tim74UK" wrote:
I really dislike the JJ abrams timeline and films....

I have to agree - I just worked on a project where we had to embrace the JJ Universe for ST and it was... difficult! I think post JJ we will see a new direction for the alternative timelines approach, though this is not suitable for TV format!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Calanar
Honored Guest
"morenosuba" wrote:
...i will say that, ever since the FB takeover, Palmer and team have been VERY quiet. is it all the competition that has sprung up? or has Palmer hit the jackpot and lost interest in VR now that he is a billionaire? money does funny things to people....

Palmer never posted here much. He tends to post in Reddit. But he has been far from quiet.

He just had a huge discussion on the PC Master race subreddit.

Summation:
1) They still will not be locking down the Rift HMD. There has been endless speculation about this but it has been asked and answered many times.
2) Why they think paying for developers and collaborating with them to make Oculus launch titles is a good idea, AKA so-called exclusives.
3) How those exclusives are not that exclusive since the developer is free to make it work with other HMDs. Palmer fully expects this to happen with some titles.
4) Oculus' focus isn't on developing for other people's HMDs as there is no cross-platform SDK that will make this possible in the near term. The expectation is that it will be a few years before there is cross-platform SDK.
5) Far from being against cross-platform VR SDKs They are working with companies like AMD, Nvidea, etc., to make this possible in the first place and improve VR in general.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3cxitg/discussion_psa_dont_buy_oculus_rift_if_you_don...

Also ArsTechnica has a great article on the details of that particular discussion and what is at stake and where things are at. It is fairly in depth.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/07/just-how-open-is-the-future-of-pc-virtual-reality/
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

Metak
Honored Guest
I think I found out a bit late for vr. I mean I heard something but never was interested to check how is going. If I read about it year ago I would probably buy dk2 or would go with samsung s6/note4 gear vr.
But now it's kinda lame to pay 800e for mobile and gear vr since note 5 will be out soon and also Vive/Oculus rift makes the same if I want to get dk2 since I have to get new gpu too, minimum gtx 970 which will waste 800e too for both.

I guess I have to go back to patient mode 🙂

ZeroWaitState
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
On the plus side, things have been fairly civil. I haven't had to ban or warn anyone in a while.

LOL
"I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favourite - fantastic language, especially to curse with. ..... It's like wiping your arse with silk, I love it." - The Merovingian