cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

KelvinNZ
Honored Guest
When Windows 10 is released can someone test and return results. I'll have many hours of work reverting OS's if W10 doesn't work for me with DK2 for dev stuff as well as my configurations across all installed software.

Would be ever so grateful for feedback with anyone using the latest NVidia drivers and Oculus runtime.

Kangelos
Protege
I am running 0.6.0.1 runtime on windows 10 10240 (RTM?).
Using the latest amd driver for windows 10 (15.7) directx 12.
Problem is that oculus is not supported and only extended mode
is kinda working.
I find that all the apps/demos that are working , look and feel better!
In Elite dangerous i get no judder at all, and also some old apps are
now working.
Too bad there is no direct mode support yet (at least for me).

KelvinNZ
Honored Guest
Well I'm hoping that it will all work upon release of W10.

I have a sneaky feeling that direct to rift and extended mode may not exist in the future, but who knows until next year.

Skysearcher
Honored Guest
Well, I am running the RTM version of Windows 10 and I can tell you that my DK2 does NOT work at all! even tough Windows "sees" my DK2 and tracker the drivers/software are not working. I really feel bad about Oculus keeping us in the dark about windows 10 support. Obviously it does not support the DK2 natively as was suggested earlier.

!!!Dissapointed!!!!

:evil:

Kangelos
Protege
"Skysearcher" wrote:
Well, I am running the RTM version of Windows 10 and I can tell you that my DK2 does NOT work at all! even tough Windows "sees" my DK2 and tracker the drivers/software are not working. I really feel bad about Oculus keeping us in the dark about windows 10 support. Obviously it does not support the DK2 natively as was suggested earlier.

!!!Dissapointed!!!!

:evil:

As we know, windows 10 are not supported.
As i said i am on my main pc right now, running windows 10240
and ther rift is working only in extended mode.
To make it work you have to fiddle with a couple of things and
i could not make it work easily.
There are two ways for it to work.
The first way is by using an older GPU driver that is not wddm 2.0
after you disable the automatic driver updates cause windows will
install the directx 12 driver again. Then install runtime with compatibility
to windows 8.

The other way is to keep your directx 12 driver (use the latest windows 10 driver
for your GPU) and install the runtime normally (no compatibility mode).
During installation you can not install the oculus display driver (not supported).
After that you have to change the compatibility mode of the services *.exe to windows 8
and run the x86 service yourself from the oculus folder.

Hope i helped...

STUJAMR
Protege
Shameless bump. Lets keep this on page 1 till we get a experimental build.

The fact that we are all working with a development kit, in a development environment, with a development OS says we are on the edge. After all VR development is still just a concept to the broader world. This whole concept is being sold to the world as the next big thing in computer/gaming/science/research/entertainment/ ect technology.

OVR you are not mainstream. Stop acting like it. You cant have it both ways. In one paragraph say this is a development environment and extremely experimental and in the next say you will release a support patch months after the official release of <New OS Here>

Cut us an experimental build. Everyone who is flagged as Win 10 ready at the time Win 10 is broadly released wins. Don't be last.

RiftXdev
Explorer
I bet Steam VR is Windows 10 ready
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

VizionVR
Rising Star
"cybereality" wrote:
Windows 10 is on the roadmap, but it's not even officially out yet so please be patient. Thanks.

On the roadmap for DK2, or will we have to wait for CV1 before we have Win10 support?
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
ok right, I am glad i dropped in here.

I guess i need to opt out of my background OS update which is due to happen on the 29th then?

it would be nice to have some up to date info from someone from Oculus with a rough roadmap for windows 10 if poss.

thanks 🙂
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

mabsey
Explorer
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
ok right, I am glad i dropped in here.

I guess i need to opt out of my background OS update which is due to happen on the 29th then?

it would be nice to have some up to date info from someone from Oculus with a rough roadmap for windows 10 if poss.

thanks 🙂

No need to opt out, as far as I'm aware, it does the 3GB download in the background, and then its up to you when you want to install it, providing its done within the year.

Personally I'm going to let it download, but not install it straight away, await for confirmation from Oculus that a new beta driver works with Windows 10, crap myself and watch how everyone else gets on, then go for it lol

Dave