New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Swing (Bachelor's Thesis)

MadsimMadsim Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in Showcase
Hey everyone,

I'd like to share my VR Swing with you. It's part of my bachelor's thesis "Designing Presence" and build with Unreal Engine, Processing and some Arduino tinkering. The idea behind the swing is to give the user the ability to move in the virtual world without worrying about the cables and reducing the chance of sensory dissonance while moving. I'm myself very sensitive to sensory dissonance, but because the swing's real motion is mirrored in the virtual world it never got me sick.

More about the project and a making of can be found here: http://designingpresence.dennykoch.de/

Greetings

Comments

• servili007servili007 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Cool concept. Nicely done.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    That's great.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    This looks excellent, and I'm jealous of all of those participants as I'd love to try this myself.

I can't read the thesis paper as its in German, but I'd like to know if any conclusions were drawn regarding what happens once the scenery gets too big to really see any parallax from the swing's motion -- do participants still feel completely grounded at that point? In other words, once a 1:1 relationship between physical and virtual motion is established, does it carry over even when there's no longer any foreground elements?

Thanks for sharing!
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 971
    Art3mis
    Cool project! Thanks for sharing.
  • MadsimMadsim Posts: 4
    drash wrote:
    This looks excellent, and I'm jealous of all of those participants as I'd love to try this myself.

I can't read the thesis paper as its in German, but I'd like to know if any conclusions were drawn regarding what happens once the scenery gets too big to really see any parallax from the swing's motion -- do participants still feel completely grounded at that point? In other words, once a 1:1 relationship between physical and virtual motion is established, does it carry over even when there's no longer any foreground elements?

Thanks for sharing!

Hey, cool that you like the project. The feeling of the swings motion does transform with the change of the scene. At first it feels just like using a swing on a playground. Once the user is drawn backwards the backward motion overlays with the physical swinging motion, resulting in a wave like feeling. The moment you loose most of the parallax the sensation changes again and you focus more on the light wind blowing in your face as well as the g-forces. That plays really well with the open space you are in at that point.
    I hope that helped!

Greetings from Germany!