Oculus and Windows 10? - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus and Windows 10?

Comments

• KangelosKangelos Posts: 102
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am running 0.6.0.1 runtime on windows 10 10240 (RTM?).
    Using the latest amd driver for windows 10 (15.7) directx 12.
    Problem is that oculus is not supported and only extended mode
    is kinda working.
    I find that all the apps/demos that are working , look and feel better!
    In Elite dangerous i get no judder at all, and also some old apps are
    now working.
    Too bad there is no direct mode support yet (at least for me).
  • KelvinNZKelvinNZ Posts: 188
    Well I'm hoping that it will all work upon release of W10.

I have a sneaky feeling that direct to rift and extended mode may not exist in the future, but who knows until next year.
  • SkysearcherSkysearcher Posts: 26
    NerveGear
    Well, I am running the RTM version of Windows 10 and I can tell you that my DK2 does NOT work at all! even tough Windows "sees" my DK2 and tracker the drivers/software are not working. I really feel bad about Oculus keeping us in the dark about windows 10 support. Obviously it does not support the DK2 natively as was suggested earlier.

!!!Dissapointed!!!!

:evil:
  • KangelosKangelos Posts: 102
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well, I am running the RTM version of Windows 10 and I can tell you that my DK2 does NOT work at all! even tough Windows "sees" my DK2 and tracker the drivers/software are not working. I really feel bad about Oculus keeping us in the dark about windows 10 support. Obviously it does not support the DK2 natively as was suggested earlier.

!!!Dissapointed!!!!

:evil:
    As we know, windows 10 are not supported.
    As i said i am on my main pc right now, running windows 10240
    and ther rift is working only in extended mode.
    To make it work you have to fiddle with a couple of things and
    i could not make it work easily.
    There are two ways for it to work.
    The first way is by using an older GPU driver that is not wddm 2.0
    after you disable the automatic driver updates cause windows will
    install the directx 12 driver again. Then install runtime with compatibility
    to windows 8.

The other way is to keep your directx 12 driver (use the latest windows 10 driver
    for your GPU) and install the runtime normally (no compatibility mode).
    During installation you can not install the oculus display driver (not supported).
    After that you have to change the compatibility mode of the services *.exe to windows 8
    and run the x86 service yourself from the oculus folder.

Hope i helped...
  • jrs69jrs69 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Shameless bump. Lets keep this on page 1 till we get a experimental build.

The fact that we are all working with a development kit, in a development environment, with a development OS says we are on the edge. After all VR development is still just a concept to the broader world. This whole concept is being sold to the world as the next big thing in computer/gaming/science/research/entertainment/ ect technology.

OVR you are not mainstream. Stop acting like it. You cant have it both ways. In one paragraph say this is a development environment and extremely experimental and in the next say you will release a support patch months after the official release of <New OS Here>

Cut us an experimental build. Everyone who is flagged as Win 10 ready at the time Win 10 is broadly released wins. Don't be last.
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    I bet Steam VR is Windows 10 ready
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Windows 10 is on the roadmap, but it's not even officially out yet so please be patient. Thanks.

On the roadmap for DK2, or will we have to wait for CV1 before we have Win10 support?
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,783 Valuable Player
    ok right, I am glad i dropped in here.

I guess i need to opt out of my background OS update which is due to happen on the 29th then?

it would be nice to have some up to date info from someone from Oculus with a rough roadmap for windows 10 if poss.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • mabseymabsey Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist

I guess i need to opt out of my background OS update which is due to happen on the 29th then?

it would be nice to have some up to date info from someone from Oculus with a rough roadmap for windows 10 if poss.

No need to opt out, as far as I'm aware, it does the 3GB download in the background, and then its up to you when you want to install it, providing its done within the year.

Personally I'm going to let it download, but not install it straight away, await for confirmation from Oculus that a new beta driver works with Windows 10, crap myself and watch how everyone else gets on, then go for it lol

Dave
  • Jay535Jay535 Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    RiftXdev wrote:
    I bet Steam VR is Windows 10 ready

Damn straight.
  • Jay535Jay535 Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    VizionVR wrote:
    Windows 10 is on the roadmap, but it's not even officially out yet so please be patient. Thanks.

On the roadmap for DK2, or will we have to wait for CV1 before we have Win10 support?

Funny. Cybereality sounds like those devs who, for the past couple years, have refused to make their games DK1 or DK2 compatible because the Oculus Rift is "not even officially out". The question is: Does Oculus want to be cutting edge or not? Because there are others out there who are.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,783 Valuable Player
    mabsey wrote:

No need to opt out, as far as I'm aware, it does the 3GB download in the background, and then its up to you when you want to install it, providing its done within the year.

Personally I'm going to let it download, but not install it straight away, await for confirmation from Oculus that a new beta driver works with Windows 10, crap myself and watch how everyone else gets on, then go for it lol

Dave

My windows os in on a 60GB SSD. It is already limited space wise. there is no rush we have till 29th july 2016 to get our free copies :) hopefully in the mean time MS will get around to releasing a win 10 iso we can use.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bxrdjbxrdj Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    day by day I am slowly losing patience with oculus ... nothing irks me more then a bad driver support, and let's face it, they never got this right. The oculus app is one of the worst ways to manage an input display device, I still see no value in having multiple, different display modes at all.

Vive is starting to look better and better every day ...
  • AmazingPaperAmazingPaper Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    bxrdj wrote:
    day by day I am slowly losing patience with oculus ... nothing irks me more then a bad driver support, and let's face it, they never got this right. The oculus app is one of the worst ways to manage an input display device, I still see no value in having multiple, different display modes at all.

How is the Vive looking better? Do we have any idea how the drivers and display are to be managed from there? We don't.
    Oculus keeping us in the dark about W10 support is annoying, but since W10 is just around the corner, I figure they're just waiting to see adoption rates and/or are waiting for the final release of Windows before they make drivers.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Windows 10 support is coming, for sure, and is being worked on now.

It's just not ready for release yet, please be patient. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    bxrdj wrote:

Don't forget this is developer hardware/software we are working with here. It was my understanding that the reason behind the two different modes was to give developers various options to go with so we could all see what solutions worked the best and provide useful feedback along the way. At one point in time extended was all we had and the option was left in for good reason as people began working on getting direct mode figured out.
    Try not to lose sight of the fact that we have all been taking part in helping this whole thing to unfold by testing things out and providing input to the kind folk at Oculus and without them this would all quite likely still be very much a dream.

That being said, not having proper Win 10 support is frustrating. I was going to hold off on upgrading until I seen Palmers comment stating that he was running it and I jumped the gun. My own fault in that case as I should have done more research but I made the mistake of assuming it would work based on that alone. I love the OS but having to choose between new drivers and wddm 2.0/dx12 support, or proper use of the Rift is a real PITA.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • ZeroWaitStateZeroWaitState Posts: 108
    Hiro Protagonist
    Jay535 wrote:
    VizionVR wrote:

Funny. Cybereality sounds like those devs who, for the past couple years, have refused to make their games DK1 or DK2 compatible because the Oculus Rift is "not even officially out". The question is: Does Oculus want to be cutting edge or not? Because there are others out there who are.
    pfft.... Pull your headin cyber is an awesome help to the dev community
    "I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favourite - fantastic language, especially to curse with. ..... It's like wiping your arse with silk, I love it." - The Merovingian
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    Probably 80% (total guess) of DK2s have gone to people to play with exclusively for games.

Calling it a Development kit is an ingenious way to soft launch a product.

Actual live games have released with actual live support for a development kit VR HMD.

Have you ever heard of this practice before?

VR has been soft-live now for over a year. There is no race to be the first, Oculus won that race ages ago.

Windows 10 support, at least in beta form, should be here by now. It releases as the mainstream OS next Wednesday.
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
  • RualStorgeRualStorge Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    My big rub is I only pulled the trigger after reading article after article about oculus working with windows 10 to make Windows 10 the best os for vr, and that Microsoft was adding excellent support for it. To date everything I've tried on windows 10 has worked flawlessly and it rolls out in 5 days... safe purchase right? Two companies working together... the dk2 has been out like a year and is the newest model available at the time of a rollout in a matter of days? Nope... it's the one and only thing I've found that doesn't work on 10, even worse since it works on 8 and 10 is effectively 8 SE.

I've been developing software commercially for well over a decade now if your hardware doesn't work on the latest platform of the most popular os at time of release... that's really bad, serious deadline blown or messed up priorities. I'm amazed there aren't even beta or dev drivers that should have rolled out immediately after rtm to give testing time before go live.

Admittedly I'm half serious, half venting frustration since I effectively have a per weight until the drivers come out.
    NerveGear
    Also, update this...

It's one of the places I checked and it says the ideal setup is Windows 7 SP1 or newer...

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/
    Art3mis
    RualStorge wrote:
    My big rub is I only pulled the trigger after reading article after article about oculus working with windows 10 to make Windows 10 the best os for vr, and that Microsoft was adding excellent support for it. To date everything I've tried on windows 10 has worked flawlessly and it rolls out in 5 days... safe purchase right? Two companies working together... the dk2 has been out like a year and is the newest model available at the time of a rollout in a matter of days? Nope... it's the one and only thing I've found that doesn't work on 10, even worse since it works on 8 and 10 is effectively 8 SE.

I've been developing software commercially for well over a decade now if your hardware doesn't work on the latest platform of the most popular os at time of release... that's really bad, serious deadline blown or messed up priorities. I'm amazed there aren't even beta or dev drivers that should have rolled out immediately after rtm to give testing time before go live.

Admittedly I'm half serious, half venting frustration since I effectively have a per weight until the drivers come out.

This is exactly what I am/have been talking about...
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 768
    Neo
    RualStorge wrote:

Are you serious? First the DK2 is NOT out. It's a developer kit.
    Windows 10 is NOT Windows 8 SE, hell it even has DX 12 in it. I won't go through the list of changes/upgrades from 8.1 it is already out there.
    Yes your hardware needs to work with the "latest platform of the most popular os at time of release" However DK2 is a developer kit, alpha platform.

Stop being an idiot and go back to 8.1 until 10 hits RTM and Oculus releases the Windows 10 capable runtimes.

User was warned for this post by cybereality. Personal attack and insult.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Whoa!
    Despite what you feel personally about someone's opinion, you can use a little tact to get your own point across. Calling them an idiot does nothing for your argument.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 768
    Neo
    I apologize for being offensive.
    People do need to have some patience when it comes to Windows 10. The Rift is not released yet.
    Art3mis
    benplace wrote:
    I apologize for being offensive.
    People do need to have some patience when it comes to Windows 10. The Rift is not released yet.

So by your rational I just wasted the last 3 years of my life working in the Dev environment. Maybe we should all just wait till the Rift is released? I mean why have a Dev cycle at all? To hell with a community driven on open source and collaborative projects.

Everyone shut up now. Stop complaining. You heard the man. The rift is not released yet. I know its been 3 years maybe longer for some of you but really get a life.
  • LhunLhun Posts: 188
    Hiro Protagonist
    *eats popcorn*

"disable the garbage compactor!"

Make ovrservice_x86.exe compatible with windows 10's modified service level and you will have preliminary support. I would bet $1000 on it right now that it is as simple as creating a build target for 10 in vs, but what does this lowly QA pro know? Sure the ovr driver for the complicated wddm2.0 setup isn't done yet, but extended desktop mode is better then nothing, right? ;-)

I still love you guys. You can do it, I have faith and I gave you all the info you needed 3 months ago. Videos are still on YouTube if you wanna go back and look. We'll see what happens on Wednesday. Lots of pressure mounting, Microsoft did a great job with their upgrade pressure. I really love that they forced nvidia and amd to get off their ass for once. Unfortunately other display driver manufactures get caught in the crossfire like oculus and those poor folks making cheap 144hz tn panels. *sigh*
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,147 Volunteer Moderator
    benplace wrote:
    First the DK2 is NOT out.
    The DK2 is out, I've got one. :)

Oculus direct mode is a tricky thing. It's doing stuff that existing graphics drivers and the operating system don't expect: rendering to a monitor that the OS ignores. Both nvidia and amd have announced plans for supporting their own version of direct mode at some point in the future, so it's not just some simple mid level code that oculus can churn out easily, this is going into the driver level and is currently problematic. Windows 10 changes things, especially with DX12 entering the fray, so issues are to be expected. This isn't like writing an application that works on win 10, this is much lower level and needs to work across gfx drivers from multiple competing companies.

Hmm, I wish Win 10 came out a week earlier than planned, my main Win 7 drive died 2 days ago, I'm installing a new OS today. Would have been a good time to try win 10. :)
    NerveGear
    benplace wrote:
    Are you serious? First the DK2 is NOT out. It's a developer kit.
    Windows 10 is NOT Windows 8 SE, hell it even has DX 12 in it. I won't go through the list of changes/upgrades from 8.1 it is already out there.
    Yes your hardware needs to work with the "latest platform of the most popular os at time of release" However DK2 is a developer kit, alpha platform.

Stop being an idiot and go back to 8.1 until 10 hits RTM and Oculus releases the Windows 10 capable runtimes.

User was warned for this post by cybereality. Personal attack and insult.

Not going to jump in a fight... but...

Judging by the DK2 sitting next te me it's very much out, the DK2 is the Development Kit 2, it's own you can buy it right now. Now the respective Oculus Rift intended for commercial audiences isn't out yet, but we're not talking about that here ;)

As far as running 8.1 instead of 10... as I stated before, I develop software for a living, and have for well over a decade now, I also specifically am developing software FOR windows 10, because in about 4 days that's going to quickly start becoming the most common version of windows. (It's free, most people are getting it via windows update semi automatically, it's free, a lot of people HATE windows 8 though I feel a bit unfairly, it's free) That said my company believes in "eating it's own dogfood" so I use our software everyday as part of my workflow, which means I HAVE to run Windows 10 to make sure it works properly.

I also went and said I'm half serious because to me not supporting the OS that's going mainstream and not supporting the OS that pretty much everything media wise would make you believe is practically married to your product on release is a pretty big mis-step. Windows 10 will be a primary target market, and one a majority of software developers will be writing for / against, we depend on Oculus to provide us the tools we need to be able to develop our applications to work on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Linux, Mac, etc. right now there's a huge push in making sure everything works on 10 since it's about to come out and anything that doesn't work is going to result in heavy support calls / emails / posts for us, by oculus not having support for 10, we in turn can't support 10. (Granted developing for the oculus is something planned down the road, which is again why I'm half serious)

Now the other half is because everything news wise talks about streaming to your oculus between xbox one and windows 10, or that windows 10 and oculus are made for each other, or windows 10 and oculus are the BEST VR experience there is. (seriously there's like 50 such articles) and on the dev support page it says Windows 7 SP1 and newer, so thinking I was safe I bought it only to find it doesn't work at all. needless to say I'm understandably frustrated about that, I was looking forward to a whole weekend of just digging into seeing what I could throw together on it, but now that's out the window... So yeah, I'm irked, I personally feel justified for being irked. It's not like they said "only works on Windows versions 7, 8, and 8.1" It was implied 10 also made that cut.
  • LhunLhun Posts: 188
    Hiro Protagonist
    Pretty much what RualStorge said. I'm a QA lead at a decent software company and we are going to have to support 10, very, very soon. We sell dedicated hardware boxes and had the bonus of being able to pretty much skip 8 all together. Eventually we had to support 8.1 but that wasn't too bad. Now, we WILL, absolutely, have to support 10.

I dabble in VR dev for fun, mostly because I really enjoy learning new things and staying fresh. Now, I HAVE forced my oculus dk2 to work on 10, but I'm not an everyman. I understand that the DK2 is a dev kit and the final release is less then 10 months out. They will absolutely support the CV1 in 10, so consumers aren't worried.

But devs can't dev on CV1. We can dev on the DK2. And, after wednesday, we still won't be able to build target windows 10 and TEST on 10, properly.

We can blindly build for DX12 and 10 if we want, but we can't directmode test our apps at all. I just hope for good news monday.
  • So after scrapping OSX and Linux support to "focus on the main platform" and a freaking partnership with Microsoft they can't even keep up with the update cycle.
    Should have left the software Open Source so outside contribution and testing happen. That would have been better than the proprietary runtime and walled garden approach.

Yes I'm still bitter about the bait & switch that happened with OS support and open source.