cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

VizionVR
Rising Star
"DahakUK" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:
"Lhun" wrote:
1) Install oculus runtime, don't worry about compat mode, and the Oculus display driver will NOT install. (this is fine.)
2) go to c:\program files (x86)\oculus\service
3) right click ovrserver_x86.exe. Click properties
4) in the compat tab, set for windows 8 and Admin
5) make a shortcut to the exe somewhere where you can get to it.
6) switch the rift off.
7) run ovrserver
😎 switch oculus utility to extended desktop mode
9) Close the OVRserver terminal window.
10) switch rift on - you should see your desktop, and have two monitors
11) open OVRserver_x86.exe using the shortcut you made.

Have fun!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... _it_works/

Thanks again Lhun. Is this for Win 8 only?

This is for windows 10, it works natively in windows 8. This got it working for me, but I didn't have to switch to extended mode, it worked fine in direct mode.

LOL! I know it's for Win10. I'll reword my question: Step 4 shows a setting to Win 8 compatibility. is there a setting for Win7 compatibility?
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

benplace
Rising Star
"sludgybeast" wrote:
I have been following this thread since it was created and I am too a developer. While I agree that oculus should have had support months ago when the build was finalized, I can also sympathize with them for the challenges they face.

Some people have been demonizing them like they haven't been working on it. While its not an official statement, Cyber did say last month that they were chugging away and it seemed they were somewhat near 100%. Some people here are saying it should be an easy update but as a programmer it can be far from the case. While the exterior of Windows 10 may be similar just an update from Unity or Ue4 can break a game much less and entire OS update including an entirely new Direct X.

Anyway here is that statement from cyber.

"cybereality" wrote:
Windows 10 support is coming, but it's not 100% working right now. It may be best to wait a little longer until things are ready (especially considering that Win 10 isn't even out yet).

From Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Amen

richhard1
Protege
I definately wouldn't advise any oculus users to upgrade to Windows 10 just yet. Spent 4 hours getting to a usable system today, oculus didn't want to know at all. Totally dead. managed a clean install of my working previous operating system now, installing everything back in tomorrow, a total waste of time.

One word of warning, Windows 10 deletes any reverting to your previous OS. Also forces updates for ALL installed peripherals, Windows updates etc.
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

Kangelos
Protege
"richhard1" wrote:
I definately wouldn't advise any oculus users to upgrade to Windows 10 just yet. Spent 4 hours getting to a usable system today, oculus didn't want to know at all. Totally dead. managed a clean install of my working previous operating system now, installing everything back in tomorrow, a total waste of time.

One word of warning, Windows 10 deletes any reverting to your previous OS. Also forces updates for ALL installed peripherals, Windows updates etc.

The only problem i had with Windows 10 was the DK2 runtime. Other than that everything works
out of the box. Well, not everything but it took me 30m to a fully working computer after the upgrade.
I had to use an older sound driver and do some testing with the rift.
Also, i reverted a laptop to windows 8.1 without any problem. Oculus is working
in extended mode and a new runtime will fix this issue too.
Driver updates CAN be hidden. Right now i use a windows 7 old VT2020 driver in compatibility mode
and it is working 100% (i have another firewire sound card for recording/producing).
There is a tool to hide/unhide updates for drivers you do not want.
Depends on your system setup, windows version, apps etc windows installation
can be a mess or not.

DahakUK
Explorer
"vizionvr" wrote:

LOL! I know it's for Win10. I'll reword my question: Step 4 shows a setting to Win 8 compatibility. is there a setting for Win7 compatibility?

Yes, all the previous compatibilities are still there.

HiThere_
Superstar
If you didn't have enough experience in switching to a new Windows OS well now you have : Don't rush it, or at least don't come complaining after you did.

Oculus VR announced native Windows 10 compatibility for the Rift, not for the DK2.

Congratulations on finding the temporary workaround Lhun 🙂

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... _it_works/

Anonymous
Not applicable
"weasel47" wrote:
"jngdwe" wrote:
^^ I agree with Ronson's viewpoint on the static cockpit crap. While I like some cockpit view games, I am sick and tired of them focusing so much of making people more comfortable at the cost of almost every type of game that we want to play. I don't get sick while playing HL2 VR, or even Quake 2 VR, so why should I have to put up with moronic development principles? I'm not strictly a gamer, but if there isn't a traditional FPS for VR, I will not be buying VR. That's my feeling on the matter, plain and simple. I want games that I enjoy playing, and I don't enjoy playing games that strap me into a chair and don't let me move however I want.

The only principle that I agree with at this point is the decision to NOT take control of the user's camera. If we remain in control of the camera, we can at least get used to VR enough that sickness is minimal or nonexistent.

I agree with you for the most part (I played the entirety of Alien: Isolation in the Rift and I'm pretty good at not getting nauseous from anything I put myself through in my own exerpimental VR creations)...

...but who are you directing your anger towards? Individual developers can make whatever kind of games they want. No one is conspiring to keep us from getting the kinds of games we want.

Developers who have access to a lot of playtesters are using the playtesters' feedback to find things that will be comfortable to a wide audience and not turn people off of VR immediately. They want their products to sell and they want the whole platform to succeed.

Honestly, I think any high-profile games that do come out and have the potential to make the average person sick (and I hope there are still plenty of them) should do their best to make sure people who have a bad experience don't just walk away from the whole thing. People need to be able to try before they buy, possibly return things they can't play comfortably, and they need to be steered towards more comfortable experiences ASAP.

Maybe Oculus should make some kind of VR-training course built into the store that lets people experiment with comfort levels in various types of gameplay and warns them that some experiences might not work for them. It could then steer them towards the games that will work for them.

I'm getting off-topic now, sorry!

My anger is directed towards Oculus for pushing their "no sickness" as if that is all that matters. They've been pushing casual/no-nausea games way too strongly, and it seems like that is all they are interested in at this point.

Lorien31
Honored Guest
Any news when this driver for windows 10 comes out ?

3 Days since win10 release and no communication, at least i couldn't find any.

Skysearcher
Honored Guest
"Lorien31" wrote:

I'm afraid it's going to take a long time.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Skysearcher" wrote:
"Lorien31" wrote:

I'm afraid it's going to take a long time.

How do you know its going to take a long time