cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

HiThere_
Superstar
"Lorien31" wrote:
Any news when this driver for windows 10 comes out ?

3 Days since win10 release and no communication, at least i couldn't find any.

You have the link to the Windows 10 workaround two posts above yours.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... _it_works/

Skysearcher
Honored Guest
"Cyril" wrote:
"Lorien31" wrote:

You have the link to the Windows 10 workaround two posts above yours.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... _it_works/

Well, I have windows 10 and the above method does not work on my DK2.

richhard1
Protege
The irony of it all, all potential buyers/developers of the final oculus product next year, can't yet update to Windows 10 due to incompatible oculus driver issues.
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

DelTorres
Honored Guest
Thank god I found this thread after I upgraded :?

So much speaking of native windows 10 drivers at the CV1 launch event made me think it will work for sure with the DK2...

r00x
Adventurer
"DelTorres" wrote:

So much speaking of native windows 10 drivers at the CV1 launch event made me think it will work for sure with the DK2...

You and many others it seems, myself included.

"Touc" wrote:
"Skysearcher" wrote:
"Lorien31" wrote:

I'm afraid it's going to take a long time.

How do you know its going to take a long time

How do you know it's going to be here in a week? Considering the Oculus track record I'd say it's probably going to be a lot longer. They didn't even give an estimation of how long it would take. Would love to be wrong but I'm guessing at least 1 or more months.

benplace
Rising Star
"Lorien31" wrote:

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25316

Posted 2 days ago...

NJ90
Honored Guest
it is right ridiculous that a large company like Oculus ( with the money of Facebook ) is not capable to hire 2-3 employees which could write a driver.
And the most ridiculous part is that windows 10 preview is out over a year!!!

saviornt
Protege
When Windows 10 was announced, before the tech previews, I did recommend that Oculus start then at creating drivers for the Rift. Then as it was announced it was going to be free for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 users, and the tech previews were out, I highly suggested that they re-focus their attention to Windows 10 support.

Well, with all of that being said, if you are a developer, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10!!

All of my development programs are broken due to various issues, and also the context menu's (right-click menus) start to "Lag" after several hours of the computer being on. Then there are issues with pop-up windows within programs (such as the Max Scripting Editor) do not focus correctly for keyboard input. This breaks my entire workflow for development.

Windows Mail.. is a freaking joke. It is nothing but a "reader" for mail. It is NOT an email program. Cortana? There is only one feature out of the many that I would use it for actually works, and that is launching programs.

Overall? It seems to me like this is Day One.. of a technical preview, and NOT a Day One release of a Consumer release.

Again.. if you are a developer, DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10!!!
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"saviornt" wrote:

All of my development programs are broken due to various issues, and also the context menu's (right-click menus) start to "Lag" after several hours of the computer being on. Then there are issues with pop-up windows within programs (such as the Max Scripting Editor) do not focus correctly for keyboard input. This breaks my entire workflow for development.

Windows Mail.. is a freaking joke. It is nothing but a "reader" for mail. It is NOT an email program. Cortana? There is only one feature out of the many that I would use it for actually works, and that is launching programs.

Overall? It seems to me like this is Day One.. of a technical preview, and NOT a Day One release of a Consumer release.

Again.. if you are a developer, DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10!!!

Windows mail works well enough imo. Nothing special or robust by any means (I stick to thunderbird for my jazzier jazz) but I find the notifications handy and it is useful for reading and sending quick messages. I use Cortana constantly for setting reminders, alarms, checking the weather, doing quick web searches, starting my music when I'm walking around my house and opening programs. Comes in very handy when I'm making lunch or something and I can get her to open things up or tell me what I need to know without going anywhere near my computer (I use a Kinect for my mic and unless there is a lot of ambient noise she hears me quite well even 15 feet away, providing I speak up a little).

Can't say I've had the same problems with context menu lag either, but I have had some annoying issues with resizing older programs like thunderbird. Sometimes when I click minimize, I instead get a minimal resize instead of a full close to the taskbar.

Other than that it's all gravy aside from the lack of proper Rift support. I love the OS and am happy I upgraded early, but I do have to say I am a little surprised support isn't already here. The way things sounded I was certain it would all be ready to go come launch.

Not complaining though. I'm sure Oculus won't leave all of us early-adopters hanging for too long and at least there are workarounds so we're not completely without VR use!
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

WannaBlessedBe
Honored Guest
"Touc" wrote:
"Skysearcher" wrote:
"Lorien31" wrote:

I'm afraid it's going to take a long time.

How do you know its going to take a long time

Perhaps he meant a literal fear of it taking a long time? I know 'I'm afraid <thing>.' is frequently used idiomatically as 'I'm sorry, but <thing>.' but it doesn't always mean that.