Oculus and Windows 10? - Page 9 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus and Windows 10?

Comments

• benplacebenplace Posts: 768
    Neo
    I have been following this thread since it was created and I am too a developer. While I agree that oculus should have had support months ago when the build was finalized, I can also sympathize with them for the challenges they face.

Some people have been demonizing them like they haven't been working on it. While its not an official statement, Cyber did say last month that they were chugging away and it seemed they were somewhat near 100%. Some people here are saying it should be an easy update but as a programmer it can be far from the case. While the exterior of Windows 10 may be similar just an update from Unity or Ue4 can break a game much less and entire OS update including an entirely new Direct X.

Anyway here is that statement from cyber.
    Windows 10 support is coming, but it's not 100% working right now. It may be best to wait a little longer until things are ready (especially considering that Win 10 isn't even out yet).

From Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Amen
  • richhard1richhard1 Posts: 605
    Art3mis
    I definately wouldn't advise any oculus users to upgrade to Windows 10 just yet. Spent 4 hours getting to a usable system today, oculus didn't want to know at all. Totally dead. managed a clean install of my working previous operating system now, installing everything back in tomorrow, a total waste of time.

One word of warning, Windows 10 deletes any reverting to your previous OS. Also forces updates for ALL installed peripherals, Windows updates etc.
    I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE
  • KangelosKangelos Posts: 102
    Hiro Protagonist
    richhard1 wrote:
    I definately wouldn't advise any oculus users to upgrade to Windows 10 just yet. Spent 4 hours getting to a usable system today, oculus didn't want to know at all. Totally dead. managed a clean install of my working previous operating system now, installing everything back in tomorrow, a total waste of time.

One word of warning, Windows 10 deletes any reverting to your previous OS. Also forces updates for ALL installed peripherals, Windows updates etc.

The only problem i had with Windows 10 was the DK2 runtime. Other than that everything works
    out of the box. Well, not everything but it took me 30m to a fully working computer after the upgrade.
    I had to use an older sound driver and do some testing with the rift.
    Also, i reverted a laptop to windows 8.1 without any problem. Oculus is working
    in extended mode and a new runtime will fix this issue too.
    Driver updates CAN be hidden. Right now i use a windows 7 old VT2020 driver in compatibility mode
    and it is working 100% (i have another firewire sound card for recording/producing).
    There is a tool to hide/unhide updates for drivers you do not want.
    Depends on your system setup, windows version, apps etc windows installation
    can be a mess or not.
  • DahakUKDahakUK Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    VizionVR wrote:
    LOL! I know it's for Win10. I'll reword my question: Step 4 shows a setting to Win 8 compatibility. is there a setting for Win7 compatibility?
    Yes, all the previous compatibilities are still there.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    If you didn't have enough experience in switching to a new Windows OS well now you have : Don't rush it, or at least don't come complaining after you did.

Oculus VR announced native Windows 10 compatibility for the Rift, not for the DK2.

Congratulations on finding the temporary workaround Lhun :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... _it_works/
  • jngdwejngdwe Posts: 566
    weasel47 wrote:
    jngdwe wrote:
    ^^ I agree with Ronson's viewpoint on the static cockpit crap. While I like some cockpit view games, I am sick and tired of them focusing so much of making people more comfortable at the cost of almost every type of game that we want to play. I don't get sick while playing HL2 VR, or even Quake 2 VR, so why should I have to put up with moronic development principles? I'm not strictly a gamer, but if there isn't a traditional FPS for VR, I will not be buying VR. That's my feeling on the matter, plain and simple. I want games that I enjoy playing, and I don't enjoy playing games that strap me into a chair and don't let me move however I want.

The only principle that I agree with at this point is the decision to NOT take control of the user's camera. If we remain in control of the camera, we can at least get used to VR enough that sickness is minimal or nonexistent.

I agree with you for the most part (I played the entirety of Alien: Isolation in the Rift and I'm pretty good at not getting nauseous from anything I put myself through in my own exerpimental VR creations)...

...but who are you directing your anger towards? Individual developers can make whatever kind of games they want. No one is conspiring to keep us from getting the kinds of games we want.

Developers who have access to a lot of playtesters are using the playtesters' feedback to find things that will be comfortable to a wide audience and not turn people off of VR immediately. They want their products to sell and they want the whole platform to succeed.

Honestly, I think any high-profile games that do come out and have the potential to make the average person sick (and I hope there are still plenty of them) should do their best to make sure people who have a bad experience don't just walk away from the whole thing. People need to be able to try before they buy, possibly return things they can't play comfortably, and they need to be steered towards more comfortable experiences ASAP.

Maybe Oculus should make some kind of VR-training course built into the store that lets people experiment with comfort levels in various types of gameplay and warns them that some experiences might not work for them. It could then steer them towards the games that will work for them.

I'm getting off-topic now, sorry!

My anger is directed towards Oculus for pushing their "no sickness" as if that is all that matters. They've been pushing casual/no-nausea games way too strongly, and it seems like that is all they are interested in at this point.
  • Any news when this driver for windows 10 comes out ?

3 Days since win10 release and no communication, at least i couldn't find any.
  • SkysearcherSkysearcher Posts: 26
    NerveGear
    Lorien31 wrote:
    Any news when this driver for windows 10 comes out ?

I'm afraid it's going to take a long time.
  • ToucTouc Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Lorien31 wrote:

How do you know its going to take a long time
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    Lorien31 wrote:

You have the link to the Windows 10 workaround two posts above yours.

• SkysearcherSkysearcher Posts: 26
    NerveGear
    Cyril wrote:
    Lorien31 wrote:

You have the link to the Windows 10 workaround two posts above yours.

Well, I have windows 10 and the above method does not work on my DK2.
  • richhard1richhard1 Posts: 605
    Art3mis
    The irony of it all, all potential buyers/developers of the final oculus product next year, can't yet update to Windows 10 due to incompatible oculus driver issues.
    I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE
  • DelTorresDelTorres Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Thank god I found this thread after I upgraded :?

So much speaking of native windows 10 drivers at the CV1 launch event made me think it will work for sure with the DK2...
  • r00xr00x Posts: 389
    Nexus 6
    DelTorres wrote:
    So much speaking of native windows 10 drivers at the CV1 launch event made me think it will work for sure with the DK2...

You and many others it seems, myself included.
    Touc wrote:
    Lorien31 wrote:

How do you know it's going to be here in a week? Considering the Oculus track record I'd say it's probably going to be a lot longer. They didn't even give an estimation of how long it would take. Would love to be wrong but I'm guessing at least 1 or more months.
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 768
    Neo
    Lorien31 wrote:

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25316

Posted 2 days ago...
  • NJ90NJ90 Posts: 4
    it is right ridiculous that a large company like Oculus ( with the money of Facebook ) is not capable to hire 2-3 employees which could write a driver.
    And the most ridiculous part is that windows 10 preview is out over a year!!!
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    When Windows 10 was announced, before the tech previews, I did recommend that Oculus start then at creating drivers for the Rift. Then as it was announced it was going to be free for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 users, and the tech previews were out, I highly suggested that they re-focus their attention to Windows 10 support.

Well, with all of that being said, if you are a developer, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10!!

All of my development programs are broken due to various issues, and also the context menu's (right-click menus) start to "Lag" after several hours of the computer being on. Then there are issues with pop-up windows within programs (such as the Max Scripting Editor) do not focus correctly for keyboard input. This breaks my entire workflow for development.

Windows Mail.. is a freaking joke. It is nothing but a "reader" for mail. It is NOT an email program. Cortana? There is only one feature out of the many that I would use it for actually works, and that is launching programs.

Overall? It seems to me like this is Day One.. of a technical preview, and NOT a Day One release of a Consumer release.

Again.. if you are a developer, DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10!!!
    Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4:
    Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    saviornt wrote:
    All of my development programs are broken due to various issues, and also the context menu's (right-click menus) start to "Lag" after several hours of the computer being on. Then there are issues with pop-up windows within programs (such as the Max Scripting Editor) do not focus correctly for keyboard input. This breaks my entire workflow for development.

Windows Mail.. is a freaking joke. It is nothing but a "reader" for mail. It is NOT an email program. Cortana? There is only one feature out of the many that I would use it for actually works, and that is launching programs.

Overall? It seems to me like this is Day One.. of a technical preview, and NOT a Day One release of a Consumer release.

Windows mail works well enough imo. Nothing special or robust by any means (I stick to thunderbird for my jazzier jazz) but I find the notifications handy and it is useful for reading and sending quick messages. I use Cortana constantly for setting reminders, alarms, checking the weather, doing quick web searches, starting my music when I'm walking around my house and opening programs. Comes in very handy when I'm making lunch or something and I can get her to open things up or tell me what I need to know without going anywhere near my computer (I use a Kinect for my mic and unless there is a lot of ambient noise she hears me quite well even 15 feet away, providing I speak up a little).

Can't say I've had the same problems with context menu lag either, but I have had some annoying issues with resizing older programs like thunderbird. Sometimes when I click minimize, I instead get a minimal resize instead of a full close to the taskbar.

Other than that it's all gravy aside from the lack of proper Rift support. I love the OS and am happy I upgraded early, but I do have to say I am a little surprised support isn't already here. The way things sounded I was certain it would all be ready to go come launch.

Not complaining though. I'm sure Oculus won't leave all of us early-adopters hanging for too long and at least there are workarounds so we're not completely without VR use!
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • Touc wrote:
    Lorien31 wrote:

Perhaps he meant a literal fear of it taking a long time? I know 'I'm afraid <thing>.' is frequently used idiomatically as 'I'm sorry, but <thing>.' but it doesn't always mean that.
  • Lupus_SolusLupus_Solus Posts: 79 Oculus Start Member
    edited August 2015
    The only line you need in this tread:

It will be here soon enough.

We all have a deadline for early next year - stop playing with new OS releases and get back to your code! ;)
    Lupus Solus - Lone developer of Push For Emor
    Push For Emor: http://www.pushforemor.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/pushforemor
  • RualStorgeRualStorge Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I still gotta test my code in Windows 10 since millions of people already upgraded. Only way to do that is run it in Windows 10. That said everything works great for me on windows 10, no lag, no quirky issues, pretty much exactly as it should.... except the ocukus.... :/
  • vrbites.comvrbites.com Posts: 37
    NerveGear
    Love this time in space! can't wait for the super intelligent computers to answer our questions, solve our problems and give us eternal life and energy. I would bio-tweak myself to the max :mrgreen:
  • cyberblade6669cyberblade6669 Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    nobody wrights code for obsolete operating systems

2x xeon x5650 @ 4.7ghz 80gigs gskill hd 7990 oc crossfire windows 10
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    It may seem melodramatic but literally every hour that passes since Win10 was released and a compatible driver for DK2 hasn't been released, my faith in Oculus falters.

We know it's not here, but can we at least have an idea when it's coming. I know timelines are difficult to share with the audience, but this is a development community. We all know the obvious caveats involved with giving expected deadlines and I'm sure we're all been there when we've missed those deadlines.

People who treat it like a consumer product and expect consumer support should remember that this isn't a consumer device.

We just need something stable for Win10 so we can start moving development off of old OS onto the current and planned to be consumer standard for when CV1 hits. The bigger a window Oculus give us to get things working on Win10 the better.
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
  • flyingwaffleflyingwaffle Posts: 179
    Hiro Protagonist
    RiftXdev wrote:
    It may seem melodramatic but literally every hour that passes since Win10 was released and a compatible driver for DK2 hasn't been released, my faith in Oculus falters.

How well is your Vive working on Windows 10? ;)

MSFT said they're working with both Oculus and Valve to make sure VR works on Windows 10. So, it's just a question of time.
  • possible to downgrade to W8.1 by windows update advanced session.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    How well is your Vive working on Windows 10? ;)

According to this post, just fine.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/d ... 589416600/

I should add that, on the Vive forums, there are no reported issues. This could mean that no dev's have tried the Vive with Win 10 yet, or it runs without issue.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • Shame really, I was loving Windows 10 up until today. That will teach me for updating to the latest software so early. Just had to buy 8.1!
  • KelvinNZKelvinNZ Posts: 188
    We sit and wait...
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    I can only imagine two reasons why there is this delay

1) there is some fundamental part of the Runtime which relies on functionality no longer available in Windows 10

or

2) they are planning a paradigm shift in the way the software works and are redeveloping an entirely new solution. For instance they could be bundling it in to some sort of 'launch pad' software, like Oculus Home. Maybe a dependency on that is what's delaying it.

We could speculate forever it seems.

both of these outcomes need to land in the lap of the developers ASAP, prior to CV1 release, if indie solutions...and indeed AAA (if there are any), are to be available on Win10 at or very close to release for CV1.
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"