cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 0.7 Runtime. A major update.

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
Good news on the SDK/Runtime front. 0.7 will release August 20th and it looks impressive. Major changes to stability, latency, and the elimination of "extended" mode (yay!). An email was sent out extolling the virtues of the change and some of its limitations (looks like any content made before SDK 0.5 will need to be updated.). So......what do ya think?

As part of 0.7, we’ve removed ‘Extended Mode’, which commonly suffered from additional latency, and we’ve replaced it with a new ‘Direct Driver Mode’ that we’ve developed in collaboration with NVIDIA and AMD.

Direct Driver Mode is the most robust and reliable solution for interfacing with the Rift to date. Rather than inserting VR functionality between the OS and the graphics driver, headset awareness is added directly to the driver.

We’re targeting a November release for the Oculus PC SDK 1.0. Future updates to the runtime post-1.0 will continue to support games and applications built using 1.0 (or any later release).
:shock:
78 REPLIES 78

RiftXdev
Explorer
They are collaborating with NVIDIA and AMD.

that's all I had to read to be happy.

And 'Extended Mode' always annoyed me and 'Direct mode' already worked perfect on anything that supported it, so i'm happy on that count too.

Remember the time when we had to use an Extended mode? 😉 Can hear it now.
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

danknugz
Superstar
We'll see what happens when people actually try and use it. :mrgreen:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

RiftXdev
Explorer
"danknugz" wrote:
We'll see what happens when people actually try and use it. :mrgreen:

I guess.

Maybe collaborating with NVIDIA and AMD just means they raised a service desk ticket and got an answer from a 1st line on some issue, rather than the vision of hammering out code shoulder to shoulder with the graphic driver industry like the spin language implies.
DK1 | DK2

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Getting rid of Extended mode is such a positive thing. One of my criteria when determining whether I would check out a demo has been whether it supports Direct Mode. If not, I don't run it.

I use Unreal Engine... so supporting Direct Mode is no extra work. I have not been able to figure out why any application would require Extended Mode.

Getting Direct Mode to work directly with nVidia and AMD is a huge win. Great work Oculus!

"RiftXdev" wrote:
Maybe collaborating with NVIDIA and AMD just means they raised a service desk ticket and got an answer from a 1st line on some issue...

It requires new drivers; so I am pretty sure that at least some of their collaboration was of the "shoulder to shoulder" type.

RiftXdev
Explorer
Let's hope. That was certainly my thoughts when first reading it.
DK1 | DK2

Barron
Honored Guest
i worry that this 0.7 isnt gonna support windows 10 if its not then my rift and the games im hopeing /am makeing for it is stuck so i have have a rift thats nothing more then a paper weight

SputnikKaputtni
Explorer
Oculus confirmed Windows 10 IS officially supported with SDK 0.7

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... 20/ctv040r
i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
"SputnikKaputtnik" wrote:
Oculus confirmed Windows 10 IS officially supported with SDK 0.7

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... 20/ctv040r

Excellent.

CHE
Explorer
I have dk1 and i can not make it work on unity 5 and 0.6. Anyone have success with dk1 and 0.6?