cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 0.7 Runtime. A major update.

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
Good news on the SDK/Runtime front. 0.7 will release August 20th and it looks impressive. Major changes to stability, latency, and the elimination of "extended" mode (yay!). An email was sent out extolling the virtues of the change and some of its limitations (looks like any content made before SDK 0.5 will need to be updated.). So......what do ya think?

As part of 0.7, we’ve removed ‘Extended Mode’, which commonly suffered from additional latency, and we’ve replaced it with a new ‘Direct Driver Mode’ that we’ve developed in collaboration with NVIDIA and AMD.

Direct Driver Mode is the most robust and reliable solution for interfacing with the Rift to date. Rather than inserting VR functionality between the OS and the graphics driver, headset awareness is added directly to the driver.

We’re targeting a November release for the Oculus PC SDK 1.0. Future updates to the runtime post-1.0 will continue to support games and applications built using 1.0 (or any later release).
:shock:
78 REPLIES 78

SputnikKaputtni
Explorer
They retracted the statement:

"Edit: Sorry, quick clarification: Windows 10 is not officially supported in 0.7. It hasn't been fully tested and isn't yet guaranteed to work. We're working on full Windows 10 support, and we'll keep everyone posted on progress. Sorry again for the confusion here."
i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit

vrbites_com
Explorer
I'm wondering if 0.7 will support DirectX 12 and Windows 10? DX12 has some major benefits if you compare it to DX11. For example you can use multiple graphic cards from different brands and bundle their power. This will not only be a very powerful feature for computers, but you can load balance the graphical power between a CPU intergraded GPU and an external GPU to spare some battery on your laptop. I think it is best to step in now. The Xbox One will also be using DX12, so porting between the Windows 10 and Xbox One platform should get much easier!

So can someone please confirm 0.7 will be working with Windows 10?
Love this time in space! can't wait for the super intelligent computers to answer our questions, solve our problems and give us eternal life and energy. I would bio-tweak myself to the max :mrgreen:

gtrdrt
Honored Guest
Is there a way to determine which runtime version a game was made with? I primarily use the dk2 with 3 flight sims (War Thunder, DCS, and Outerra), and I would not want to install Runtime 0.7 unless and until those games are compatible with it.

Also, the announcement stated that 0.7 won't support games made with 0.5 or earlier. Does that mean a game made with a Runtime 0.5x (where x is greater than 0) would be supported, or would it have to be a game made with 0.6 or later?

benplace
Rising Star
"gtrdrt" wrote:
Is there a way to determine which runtime version a game was made with? I primarily use the dk2 with 3 flight sims (War Thunder, DCS, and Outerra), and I would not want to install Runtime 0.7 unless and until those games are compatible with it.

Also, the announcement stated that 0.7 won't support games made with 0.5 or earlier. Does that mean a game made with a Runtime 0.5x (where x is greater than 0) would be supported, or would it have to be a game made with 0.6 or later?

content made before SDK 0.5 will need to be updated

MoeCapp
Protege
I'm very excited for this! And also terrified of losing access to stuff that hasn't been updated recently.

enzedda
Explorer
Another happy camper here.
Yay for the end of "extended"!
Very excited about this.

blanes
Rising Star
Will SLI / Crossfire finally work in Direct Mode ?

And whatever happened to VR-SLI which Nvidia announced nearly a year ago ? :?

weasel47
Heroic Explorer
Is it possible to have multiple versions of the runtime installed and switch between them? That would sure be handy.

cybereality
Grand Champion
"weasel47" wrote:
Is it possible to have multiple versions of the runtime installed and switch between them?

No, that's not possible as far as I know.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

gtrdrt
Honored Guest
"benplace" wrote:
"gtrdrt" wrote:

content made before SDK 0.5 will need to be updated

Thanks, benplace. Do you know anyone who would probably know the answer to my first question? How to tell which Runtime version was used to build a game or app?